Welcome Forum Car Shows 2012 Car Show Thoughts

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

What are your thoughts on the car shows and cruises you attended this year? Highlights, lowlights? Good/bad trends? What was new, what is getting old?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

One thing I noticed – there were way more cars at each show this year than there were last year. I know a couple shows that were over whelmed by the turn out. Was the weather just that good or are there more cars being finished and shown?

Amigo2k

I agree that there were a lot more cars at shows this year.

I liked that at the Road Apples show they moved folks that were in the wrong classes.

I liked that more shows have a couple of big door prizes.

I think at the show in Wauankee one of the sponsors was a butcher, and I would assume the burgers and brats came from the butcher (instead of grade F frozen burgers from costco).

What is getting old? Shows that go much past 2PM …

My pick for best show of the year is Pardeeville … great location, a record number of cars and they offer the option for show only for the folks that aren’t worried about a plastic trophy (as long as the keep fair … right?)

moparkid25
    Participant

The Dells for me was a bust. It was a plethora of headaches, and the final straw was my turbo going poop. The show keeps growing, but the traffic was such a pain in the ass this year. And the evening events aren’t as fun since johnny law cracked the whip. All in all its a hustle to get there, then i personally did not have a good time, even though my car ended up with an award out of all those cars.

The best thing i did was go to shows in Iowa. I had the best time at a show in dubuque this year, and i can’t wait to attend again next year! No offense to anyone, but i get tired of seeing the same cars at the same local shows. I think Blown69rs is on to something when it comes to traveling to a show, get out and see some different cars.

I prefer to attend the shows where it benefits a good cause. Its a good feeling when you help to help others. I would like to see more shows use the profits go to alzheimers research, muscular dystrophy, chrons disease, etc. There’s more to this world than winning a trophy, and some day it may be one of us needing help fighting a terrible disease.

Looking forward to 2013 (provided the mayan apocalypse isn’t real) I want to again attend shows I’ve never been to. There’s a few local shows that are a must attend event like verona, Oregon, and the Road Apples show. But Im ready to spread my wings.

circletrack
    Participant
    Amigo2k wrote:
    I agree that there were a lot more cars at shows this year.

I liked that at the Road Apples show they moved folks that were in the wrong classes.

We ticked a few people off by doing that though.. :)

Having a show done by 2 p.m. is a lot of work, especially if you have well over 200 cars and try to judge everyone fairly. I’m fine with shows that have awards at 3, it’s the ones that say awards are at 4 and it’s closer to 4:30 or 5, and sometimes around 6 by the time you actually get home, that’s one very long day, especially if it’s hot out.

I enjoyed many of the shows we attended this year, and don’t really have a favorite. I like the shows that are held in smaller towns, and enjoy supporting a show that gives back to charity. We were able to give over $2000 away this year to the Dream Park and to lung cancer research, both causes near and dear to our hearts.

Pardeeville is always fun, but has gotten out of hand. I’ve overheard comments they would like to have 1000 cars in that park.. I have no idea how they think that is going to work with the small pool of judges they have, let alone more and more people are needed to help with that show. The location is perfect, and they were blessed with a picture perfect day this year.

I’m hoping the weather is more cooperative next summer, and can’t believe it’s already over :(

jonmandude
    Participant

It was a banner year for all shows. The weather was really good (when it wasn’t 2000 degrees) and the numbers were up.

My favorite show this year was Beaver Dam. The setting was as nice as Pardeeville and the show was well run. Pardeeville was also a very nice show, with the exception of the mentioned complaints. Spring Green is always tops too.

The negative issue I see, is more and more shows having year limitations. I have beat this drum loudly and feel that this hobby should NEVER limit anyone from being included.

I too enjoy the shows that are for charity. I think more shows should be about helping and less about personal satisfaction.

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

Best show for me this year: Beaver Dam. It is well run, good judges, and timely.

Biggest annoyance: Year restrictions on shows. By limiting years, you are only hampering future growth.

I think next year we will try to hit different shows in different areas.

GTO Man

I went to a number of good shows this year. Most of the shows seem to be on the upswing, especially with the number of entries.

Trends – Less judged shows, more participant judged shows. Finding qualified judges who want to judge is getting harder and harder. Some of the participant judged shows are simply too big for that unless something like is done at Spring Green is used. I also think picking the top 20 or 25 cars is a good option. I don’t like year limitations but with some shows they may have a physical limit as to how many cars they can accomodate. What else could they do, require pre-registration so they can pick all years to participate, limiting the total?

Another trend is the food provided at shows. There seems to be more variety. THere were complaints about prices but all one has to do is go to the grocery store to see what has happened.

Something I would like to see less of is the class jumping.I would like to see some shows go trophy-less, just give out prizes, whether monetary or other.

Luxuryliners
    Participant

Had a lot of fun this year going to shows I’d never been to (at least when I could get a day off). Horicon, Necedah, Lake Arrowhead, Oregon IL, these are shows that really stand out for me as the more enjoyable in large part because it was a new area with cars i hadn’t seen before. Not all new shows turned out great (whitewater, mostly due to weather) but most others (lone rock) did. A couple great must attend shows for me continue to be Lancaster and Springdale.

I did see some expansion of food items and other events on site to keep you entertained but then again several shows backed it down to hot dogs and coffee as well. Did see some elimination of the 90-present ridiculousness but unfortunately many times it was at the expense of cars newer than 2000. One other thing i liked was the increase in the number of shows that gave out save the dates for next year, i have a pile ready to go as soon as I get my 2013 calendar (unless of course the Mayans were right, which would be unfortunate because I still have many cars to buy!)

Blown69RS
    Participant

Zac and I are on the same page…. traveling is where the fun is. Some of my most enjoyed shows have been the longer road trips. Here’s a few thoughts from the Iowa side of the river:

Comparing 2012 shows to their 2011 counterparts, when weather has been similar to the previous year, I’d agree with previous posts that the attendance seems to be up a little this year. I’d say some of our “local” shows have been up 10-15%.

Show promoters at shows where you are an “out of area” participant, seem to appreciate your participation MUCH MORE than the local ones do. It was extremely noticeable at shows such as Pardeeville, WI – West Point, NE – Sycamore, IL – Hannibal, MO — I had more interaction, and legitimate “thanks for attending” from show participants and/or organizers at Pardeeville, then I had at ALL Iowa shows combined. Maybe they like to see a new car show up, just like I enjoy seeing the different cars myself.. who knows. I think a lot of show organizers in Iowa are complacent, and take for granted the cars that show up. They exhibit very little (a/k/a – NONE) appreciation for any car that shows up. Thank you WI, IL, NE, and others for the welcome this year.

Weather forecasters in 2012 are still dumb*sses… It didn’t do any good at all this year to pay attention to weekend forecasts, until sometime late Thursday/early Friday. I can’t even remember how many times I’d check on Wednesday (clear / sunny), only to look again on Friday and see “showers possible”.

The shows I traveled the furthest to, also seem to have made the short-list for ones I’ll definitely return to the next year.

In Iowa, judged shows are rare, still nothing changed from the previous year.

In Iowa, shows that usually have at least 200 cars have convoluted the awards by trying to have a class for almost every common or oddball year car in existence. Not uncommon to have 40 classes at a relatively small show.

In Iowa, many times it’s a buddy-buddy system on voting for each other. I’ll admit, I’ve been guilty of it myself at times. Not sure the best way to rid the shows of this, and continue to have participant vote (which is what most are). I tolerate it only because my wife loves to do the “local” stuff and be with friends.

Top Shows of the year for me…
    for location – hands down, no comparison to Pardeeville. You guys have all experienced it before, so it’s same’ol same’ol to you. For me, this was the first time. Only show I got shut out this year, but who cares…. #1 for location, and probably in Top #5 for quality of cars. Also, somewhere #1 – #3 on ones I’ll be returning to (assuming weather and car cooperates)

runner-ups:
    Sycamore, Illinois. If you guys haven’t done it before, consider it once. Very large turnout (1000+), very nice quality cars, huge non-participant spectator crowd. Major downfall? – gotta get there early to not be buried on a side street. I was actually on the show grounds at 3:45am, and was by no means alone. Probably somewhere around 3-400 by 6am. Was worth it though.

West Point, Nebraska. Yeah, I know it’s even further for WI guys than for me… and I drove almost 5 1/2 hours to get there. Large selection of cars (700), pre-register ONLY, so they know exactly how many of each class will be there and they can allocate space appropriately. Judged show, and seemed fair. Many, Many, super nice cars..AND, judging consideration given (within reason) to cars that were driven compared to trailer-mobiles. Massive non-participant spectator crowd. Downfall is the distance/time to get there. I think I’ll return though.

Winona, Minnesota. Just across the river from WI, easy access. It’s held during their “Steamboat Days”. For the most part, it’s a Display only show. No classes, no voting. They have 10-12 local “celebrities” pick out their favorites. Go there for the cars (400-450), the scenery of the area, and large spectator crowd turnout. Depending on other options, will probably return to it…if not next year, soon there after. Mopar guys.. a local collector of vintage drag cars usually bring in some super rare stuff to display… not recreations, but the real things. The organizer also has a buddy in Florida that will bring up 3-4 semi trailers of old historical pro stock drag cars also.. put on your list of ones to do some day, you’ll enjoy it.

if you’re into it, and willing to pay their stupid fees, the GoodGuys show in DesMoines is always worth going to. They always have somewhere around 3500 cars, most of them close to flawless. Hard to believe, but the DM show is one of the oldest GoodGuys events, I think #4(?) for length of time held. And, there is not a better location for a show like that than the Iowa State Fairgrounds. I’m not a State Fair person,,, but the grounds is perfect for a show of this size. A constant stream of driven vehicles cruising around the grounds… not like most Goodguys events which are held at/near stadium parking lots or racetrack parking lots. Open lots with sun if you choose, unlimited choices for shaded parking, full State Fair treatment for food vendors, massive indoor Air-Conditioned vendor building for the big National boys, etc…

Blanchardville, WI – excellent show. Not thrilled with location though, no trees, etc… cars more than make up for it though.
    Hannibal, MO – excellent show, old downtown setting along Mississippi river.

I guess I’m more of a fan of a LOT of shows outside of Iowa…

There’s a few in Iowa that are great shows… Zac mentioned one of them.
    The Dubuque Arboretum show is nice (125 cars),, but the setting near the cars is great. Japanese gardens, waterfalls, … I’m into that type of thing. I could look around at some of the plants and landscaping for longer than the cars (almost..).

Clear Lake, IA – rained this year, didn’t go. But, usually 500+ right on lake front property.

Other ones….maybe not so much…. our locals are good, but same cars show after show. Would be unique for you guys, but not for me.

enough for now…
    I’ll ramble on about more stuff later this fall/winter..
    hope everyone enjoys their off-season.

gonna try to make it to one more show – Morris, Illinois. Have heard good things, and is usually a massive show… will wait and see if the rain-date postponement hurts turnout.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.