Welcome Forum Car Shows 2014 – The (car show) year in review

• Creator
    Topic
    moparkid25
    Participant

I guess now is as good a time to recap the summer since only a handful of shows are remaining. I didn’t get to attend as many shows as I would’ve liked this year, and I hope to change that next year. I can’t really say there were any shows I had a bad time at, which is probably a first for me ;)

Favorite show attended: Hands down it was the main street cruisers show held at the Dubuque Arboretum. This currently is my favorite show to attend every year. Shade everywhere, a ton of nice cars you don’t see everyday, pleasant staff and exhibitors, and good food. Did I also mention the location? An easy drive down and back. The downfall is most of the time this show also falls the same day as blanchardville. I only live 10 minutes from Blanchardville, but its nice to get out and see some other cars. Those Iowa people are competitors when it comes to car shows too!

Least favorite show attended: Cars on the square in Monroe. The first one was fun, but the second one was a real clusterf***. Its not worth leaving work early to attend this, especially if the show staff is going to pick and choose who can park early and who can’t.

On tap for 2015: First would be to attend more shows. I’ve found I really like traveling to a show I’ve never been to before. Maybe venture a bit deeper into Iowa and Illinois? The shows that require registration for a benefit I feel are the best, the money is going to help someone in need.

What I would like to see in 2015: When I can’t attend a show, I always enjoy reading the Rate the Show reviews. Its good to know others opinions on an event I’ve either attended, quit attending, or one I may want to attend in the future. The RTS was pretty light this year, and I don’t know if its due to lack of enthusiasm or if some are afraid of hurting others feelings. I’ve never looked at it as a way to bash a show, more like constructive criticism instead. I’ll be the first to admit some of mine in the past may have seemed like a beat down :whistle:

Soon it will be time to park the car in the garage, and forget it until spring. I’m driving mine every chance I get until that time comes :)

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    jonmandude
    Participant

I missed a few shows I would have liked to go to (Pardeeville, Belvedere, Juneau) and went to a couple that I will not return to. I ventured to a small town show in Neillsville, WI that was ….interesting. I think my favorite for this year was the Road Apple Show in Sun Prairie. I was very impressed. Spring Green was nice, as usual. Weather hurt Beaver Dam.

I think I will do like Zac mentioned and venture farther too, but less for shows, more just to drive. I am starting to think road trips to more scenic places could be fun. In two weeks is a show in Hopkinton, IA that looks promising.

Blown69RS
    Participant

Hopkinton….. think you’d like it. Great show ran by a friend of ours.. stop by and say “hi” if ya make it down. I “should” be there… got some rearend repair to do this weekend, but if all goes well… fingers-crossed.

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

This year we didn’t hit nearly as many shows as we did in the past…spent more time with our 18month old. But we did still hit our main staples like Beaver Dam and the Road Apples Sun Prairie show. We also branched out a bit and hit other events like World of Wheels, Stance, and a few Tuner car shows and started racing.

Out of the ones we went to this year, Id have to say Watertown was a huge surprise. With the new organization group they more than tripled the show size, which caught them off guard a bit…but that is a good problem to have. The Silk show has the potential to be really cool, but it needs some work. The Optima Challenge at Road America is an absolute must if you want to see what you and your car can do…its a fun weekend with some of the best builds in the country.

I think next year we will probably branch out more into the Illinois and Minnesota scenes and focus more on events that have other things going on (like track time, etc). And with any luck, we’ll be showing two cars…..

Amigo2k

I started the year out at Mecum Kissammee … Nothing like seeing 3000 cars in an entire different part of the country …

1524460_10153711650640705_421036568_o.jpg

Then it was the exciting yet emotional time of selling my GTO, and then a couple of weeks later picking up the next car on my bucket list.

I attended fewer shows this year but the ones that did stick out for me was Vintage TorqueFest in Iowa …

This show has it all … +700 cars, bands, swap meet, cars on the track, and only a couple of custom made trophies … and it is all for a good cause … this show is not about trailer queens, and is not for folks looking to add another plastic trophy to their trophy room.

1244172_10154057229050705_3373904275190906716_o.jpg

and a close second would have to be the hot rod power tour … again thousands of cars from all over the nation … all with the same passion … driving and enjoying their cars and not worrying about some plastic trophy from Boogerville, WI.

10293665_10154209291710705_6878397870152938754_o.jpg

and I’m closing out the season next week at Mecum Chicago … I have a friend that details many of Dana Mecum’s collection that is going to try to get us a couple of minutes with the man himself … Dana …

Next year I’m thinking about starting out the season at the Amelia Concours d’Elegance … It is great to meet and speak with others from around the nation that have the same passion that we do …

Then I would like to complete a couple legs of the Hot Rod Power Tour with my Dad …

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

Ryan, I think you hit the nail on the head…as in a lot of us are looking to attend more “Events” rather than “Shows”…things that have more going on than collecting a piece of plastic.

And perhaps that is something that show organizers should be taking note of…a show is just a show, but if you can turn it into an Event…then you have something special.

GTO Man

Because of other obligations was not able to make it to as many shows/events as in past years. I agree with the distinction between event and show. It is always nice to have a variety of things going on.

Was able to make it to Automotion, Blanchardville, Edgerton, Waterloo and the Monroe Balloon Rally show, along with a couple for purely charitable causes. Edgerton as well as Spring Green being in a downtown location always add something extra. It is nice to have a number of food choices available. Weather was poor into June this year, let hope it is better next year. This fall has been great so far and this weekend looks great.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.