Welcome Forum Car Shows 2016 – The Year In Review

• Creator
    Topic
    moparkid25
    Participant

What did you see this year that you liked and disliked at car shows?

What new shows did you attend?

What shows did you not attend, but would like to next year?

What shows will you not attend next year, or ever again?

What would you like to see different for 2017?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant
    moparkid25 wrote:

I’m pretty neutral on this subject for once. I can’t say that anything really stuck out that was different that I liked or disliked. The RA have a great location at the VFW, and I think that was a good change. I didn’t get to check out a lot of new shows this year, so I’m hoping I’ve got more time next year.

None, unfortunately.

I think that Randolph show looks appealing, and that it would be worth the trip on Labor Day. I also want to get back to DBQ for a couple more shows next year.

After some long, critical analysis, I think I may bow out on Pardeeville next year. I’m not upset about anything related to the show because its a great show. But, its getting to be too large for the space they have available. When you have to get up at 5:30 and get on the road so you can be there at 7:00 to fight for a shady spot, then sit all day and go through the awards that also take up a lot of time – it makes for a long, long day.

I’d like to see a weekly cruise night take place closer to my home. I’ve debated about talking with a few establishments in the area to see if we could make this a thing, but I’m not sure I want to (or have time to) organize it. I almost enjoy cruise nights more than shows this day in age – a guy or girl can just enjoy their car, others cars, in a relaxed environment.

Amigo2k

Nothing really. I think I went to 4-5 actual car shows this year.

I was able to hit up the Bandit Run for a couple of days and back to the 50’s with my Dad.

13442249_10156978979005705_2719822043131016102_n.jpg

13339421_10156920908305705_8938981308244395483_n.jpg

Spring Green there was rain and I was not able to make it to Pardeeville

none

I’m thinking about driving my wife’s Mustang to Woodward cruise next year…

I would like to see more cars and coffee events, and more cruise for lunch events.

US Icon
    Participant

I entered 6 car shows in 3 different states with 2 Corvettes (separately). Birmingham Al, Darien Wi, Kenosha Wi, Monroe Wi, Janesville Wi, and durand iillinoiz. All in all pretty good shows, but if there is one I wont enter in the future it’s the durand ill show.

Shows that I did not attend this year that I had entered in previously are 2 steeples in Mt Horeb (prior commitments) , Albany Lions club (prior commitments), Jesus built my hotrod Janesville (was not held this year but should be back), Bergstrom Chevrolet (was not held), and Silks strip club (don’t know if it was even held, I never found anything online and the contact guy never returned my call). I liked all of these and am probably a bit biased since have received trophies at 3 out of those 5 (grin)

If there is one thing that I wish could be changed, it is 6 hours of the moldy oldies ’60s music. For the love of God please mix it up with a variety of tunes like the music that people actually listen to in their car when they leave the show. Oh, and free beer would be a nice touch…I kid!

Gunner
    Participant

I didn’t go to a lot of shows this year, maybe only 6 or 7, at most. The first half of the season, it was my choice to skip many of the shows that I normally attend. The second half of the season (especially August and September) the weather would not cooperate.

My season started out at the MATC Pride in my Ride Show. The weather was cold, overcast, gloomy, and there were snow showers on and off. The turn out was way down and I ended up leaving before noon, due to the terrible weather. For what it’s worth, this is one of my favorite shows. My other favorite shows are the Wisconsin Dells Automotion in the spring and the Beloit Autorama show in the fall.

I attended one new show this year – The Cambridge Fire Department car show. Awesome show, with very nice door prizes and great raffle items. I will most certainly go back to this show in 2017.

My one observation about car shows in general – If you are involved in putting on a car show, please think about any potential medical needs that may come up. Please think about having a trained medical professional (CNA, Nurse, EMT, Public Safety Officer) either on site or readily available, should the need arise.

GTO Man

I didn’t go to as many shows as I would of liked to. Too many obligations between work, home and the weather. I liked the fact the some shows are shortening the length of their show. It is a long day if someone chooses to sit from early or mid-morning to later in the afternoon. I would also like to see shows come up with more original door prizes, or at least not give out a 2 liter bottle of pop. There are a couple of shows that give out money during the day instead of trophies, that is an interesting variation.

None and that was annoying about not being able to get away for more shows. The main thing about shows or any events is the drive there. On the other hand less miles usually means less problems.

The Cars that Time Forgot show in Delavan, Beloit Autorama and Pardeeville.

None.

I would like to see a few more Cars n Coffee events. It would be nice have a few more local cruise-in’s available.

78cruisingwagon
    Participant

Every thing was typical . I went to about 6 shows this year. The thing I dislike about cars shows are the long days late awards . As I have said before I prefer to go to cruise nights. or just taking a drive , that’s what our cars were built to do!

The Janesville Cruizers , a new club, Started a once a month cruise of the “circuit” ,In Downtown Janesville. It was lots of fun!! The only thing that might kill it is a few who insist on doing burnouts and driving fast. If you are one of them or know of any one doing this,Please stop! If you feel the need to do this go to the drag strip ! We dont want to lose a Good thing!

none

none

Next summer my wife,Pinto and I will be taking a road trip of a lifetime driving to Alaska! We plan to drive to Deadhorse Alaska in Purdue Bay . That is inside the Arctic Circle and as far north as you can drive in North America. I have been in contact with a couple of car clubs in Alaska and plan to attend a show or two while we are up there.

GTO Man
    78cruisingwagon wrote:

Every thing was typical . I went to about 6 shows this year. The thing I dislike about cars shows are the long days late awards . As I have said before I prefer to go to cruise nights. or just taking a drive , that’s what our cars were built to do!

The Janesville Cruizers , a new club, Started a once a month cruise of the “circuit” ,In Downtown Janesville. It was lots of fun!! The only thing that might kill it is a few who insist on doing burnouts and driving fast. If you are one of them or know of any one doing this,Please stop! If you feel the need to do this go to the drag strip ! We dont want to lose a Good thing!

none

none

Next summer my wife,Pinto and I will be taking a road trip of a lifetime driving to Alaska! We plan to drive to Deadhorse Alaska in Purdue Bay . That is inside the Arctic Circle and as far north as you can drive in North America. I have been in contact with a couple of car clubs in Alaska and plan to attend a show or two while we are up there.

That sounds like the ultimate road trip. Is there anything special you will do in preparation?

78cruisingwagon
    Participant

GTO Man
    First plan ,plan,plan, and plan some more. We started making plans for the trip back in January. Looking on line,youtube,and ordering publications from government and private entities. We found out the Alaskan Highway ( Alcan), is all paved,except construction areas . It is vastly improved from what it once was. The Dalton Highway going along the Pipeline however is only paved about 100 miles of its 414 mile length. However if we take our time ,I dont think it will be a problem .
    As far as the car I have a list of things to do to get it ready.
    Repair fuel tank.It has a leak at the top. I Will Need to be able to fill it because of long distances between fuel.
    Put heat insulation in the floor. I get a lot of heat on the trans tunnel making it uncomfortably warm with the a/c off
    Get new tires. This is a challenge ! 13 inch tires are getting harder to get.
    Get a removable clear protective spray or film for traveling the Dalton. I know i will get chips,but want to minimize them .
    Carry spare parts and tools. I will bring belts, hoses, fuel pump,water pump,ignition parts, oil,trans fluid,filters.
    We plan to do a combination of camping and hotels.Camping equipment will be in a car top carrier . This will leave the back of the car free for sleeping if we cant find a hotel , campsite, or just want to to pull over to take a nap!
    We have a loose itinerary,subject to change, driving 250-300 miles a day. Only 7 months to go!

moparkid25
    Participant
    78cruisingwagon wrote:
    GTO Man
    First plan ,plan,plan, and plan some more. We started making plans for the trip back in January. Looking on line,youtube,and ordering publications from government and private entities. We found out the Alaskan Highway ( Alcan), is all paved,except construction areas . It is vastly improved from what it once was. The Dalton Highway going along the Pipeline however is only paved about 100 miles of its 414 mile length. However if we take our time ,I dont think it will be a problem .
    As far as the car I have a list of things to do to get it ready.
    Repair fuel tank.It has a leak at the top. I Will Need to be able to fill it because of long distances between fuel.
    Put heat insulation in the floor. I get a lot of heat on the trans tunnel making it uncomfortably warm with the a/c off
    Get new tires. This is a challenge ! 13 inch tires are getting harder to get.
    Get a removable clear protective spray or film for traveling the Dalton. I know i will get chips,but want to minimize them .
    Carry spare parts and tools. I will bring belts, hoses, fuel pump,water pump,ignition parts, oil,trans fluid,filters.
    We plan to do a combination of camping and hotels.Camping equipment will be in a car top carrier . This will leave the back of the car free for sleeping if we cant find a hotel , campsite, or just want to to pull over to take a nap!
    We have a loose itinerary,subject to change, driving 250-300 miles a day. Only 7 months to go!

You sir, have much bigger balls than I do. I expect to see a lot of pictures upon your return!

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

It was a pretty “meh” year. Nothing really jumped out good or bad. I did like shows that were more than just a show, as those are getting boring. Shows that were tied to a bigger event or that had more going on were fun (EMF show in IL, CarCraft Summer Nats, Woodward, Optima USCA).

EMF Show, CarCraft Summer Nats, Wekfest.

Silk was unable to put on a show this year, but Im working on changing that for next year. Would also like to attend the original Symco show (not the one in Oshkosh).

I might skip Pardeeville next year. Its a great show, but it is making for too long of a day.

We have a million basic car shows and they pretty much are the same…I would like to see shows differentiate themselves. Or I would like to see more shows tied to other community or industry events.

circletrack
    Participant

Hi all.. We didn’t attend many shows in 2016 – started out the year at the MATC show and darn near froze, let alone the snow flurries on the way home, not my idea of fun.

My favorite show will always be Back to the 50’s, with over 12,000 cars it’s impossible to describe, you have to live it. I enjoy getting away for the weekend with a great group of friends, being surrounded by so many people and pretty awesome cars. Dave Kindig from Bitchin Rides and his crew were there this year, seeing the cars he builds close up – wow!

Steve & I intended on attending Tri Five Nationals in Bowling Green, KY in August but my father very unexpectedly passed away right before the show. His passing set the tone for the rest of the summer as there was so much to do, we did manage to judge Corvette’s again at Pardeeville, think that is coming to an end as our entire day is spent judging. That show is great, but has gotten really big, they easily have over 1000 cars, with roughly half of them judged, it’s a lot of work.

The Road Apples are planning for 2017 and thinking of doing something different. The show will again be held at the VFW, a great place to host a show. Instead of the typical judging in 25+ classes, we are thinking of doing more of an arena or round up style of judging, the first 100 cars that want to be judged would be in this area with anyone else that comes after the area is filled, or does not want to be in the arena to be parked like any other show and judged by their fellow participants. We want to enjoy the show we’ve worked hard all year to plan, it’s very time consuming to judge, let alone not everyone enjoys it. We will want to have a judged show, not crazy about spectator judging. What do you think? Is this something you think would work, or would it draw you away from a show?

moparkid25
    Participant
    circletrack wrote:
    The Road Apples are planning for 2017 and thinking of doing something different. The show will again be held at the VFW, a great place to host a show. Instead of the typical judging in 25+ classes, we are thinking of doing more of an arena or round up style of judging, the first 100 cars that want to be judged would be in this area with anyone else that comes after the area is filled, or does not want to be in the arena to be parked like any other show and judged by their fellow participants. We want to enjoy the show we’ve worked hard all year to plan, it’s very time consuming to judge, let alone not everyone enjoys it. We will want to have a judged show, not crazy about spectator judging. What do you think? Is this something you think would work, or would it draw you away from a show?

I TOTALLY understand what you mean about judging, that’s why I won’t do it unless its a certain circumstance.

Spectator judging is a catch 22. It makes life easier for show organizers, but the show then becomes a popularity contest. I’ve been to a few shows in Illinois and Iowa where they will do spectator judging, but only give awards to the top 25-40 cars, and have a team of judges select Best of Show and any other specialty awards like best paint, best GM, etc.

Awards are a big deal to some people, they used to be a big deal to me. I donated a bunch of my old trophies last fall, and only kept a few that had a little meaning behind them. Frankly, I would rather attend a show where my $10 entry fee was going to help a cause and not get an award, than pay $10 to win an award that won’t do anything but collect dust. Supporting food pantries, kids in need, homeless veterans… That’s something I can get behind. There are lots of people who wont attend shows without awards, and I’ll be honest I used to think the same way. As I’ve gotten older, wiser, and less of a smart-ass (the last is still up for debate), I’m more giving as my eyes are open to what’s going on around me. There’s more to life than that $10 trophy.

With that said, I only keep the cool trophies – like the one I got at the RA show this year. That was a really cool, colorful award! I keep the Pardeeville trophies around as its always nice to roll into your mom’s hometown, attend a show with 1000 cars, and bring home some hardware from it. All of the cookie cutter, O’Reilly Auto Parts sponsored bland looking awards have been donated to other causes. Unfortunately, the cool awards cost more to make, which cost more to purchase by the group putting on a show. Another catch 22.

Recognition is always humbling, no matter what you receive. But I know I sleep better at night knowing my $10 went to help a vet get a service dog, put a warm coat on a kid during the winter, or fed a hungry homeless person. A trophy can’t do any of those.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.