Welcome Forum Car Shows 7 weeks to Automotion… Are you going?

• Creator
    Topic
    moparkid25
    Participant

After some serious thought, weighing the pro’s and con’s, and my BFF practically begging me to go, I’ve decided I’ll give it one more shot.

Just like last year, there are other shows going on that focus on cars that are newer with other attractions like stereo competitions, bikini contests, etc. I can only imagine the amount of law enforcement that will also be in attendance after last year too.

I guess we’ll find out.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Gunner
    Participant
    moparkid25 wrote:
    After some serious thought, weighing the pro’s and con’s, and my BFF practically begging me to go, I’ve decided I’ll give it one more shot.

Just like last year, there are other shows going on that focus on cars that are newer with other attractions like stereo competitions, bikini contests, etc. I can only imagine the amount of law enforcement that will also be in attendance after last year too.

I guess we’ll find out.

No, not this year. I went last year and found that the area is just too congested with too many cars – too much mischief for me.

For those that are going, and you’re travelling North towards the Dells from Southern Wisconsin or Illinois, think about taking State Highway 33, East out of Baraboo, and then jumping onto Highway A travelling North out of Baraboo, and coming into the Noahs Arc area through the back way and avoid the traffic on Highway 12 and the Dells Parkway.

Enjoy the Show!

maddog
    Participant

Never been there and I have no desire to go.
    From every article and story I have read about that event it is nothing more than a cluster f**k up there.
    It’s more of an “Look at me be an idiot with my car” than a car show from what I have read.

circletrack
    Participant

So much stuff happens outside the show that has nothing to do with Automotion. The Dells Cruisers have tried to get every event that ‘s popped up in the last year to use another name, but it’s not happening. We are going to go, we always enjoy the weekend away and I’m not going to let some punks who feel they “deserve” something and don’t have a clue what owning a classic car means, ruin my weekend. Car shows don’t happen without support and I’d hate to see this show end because of all the other activities.

jonmandude
    Participant

While I understand the sentiments expressed here, I often think that maybe the “exclusive” attitude of this show has created the problems. By restricting the show to “older vehicles”, the message is that the newer cars are somehow “not good enough”. The newer car owners have now expressed a desire to be included the only way they can, by creating their own. If the wish is to be an event for car enthusiasts, then it should include ALL car enthusiasts. Even the Good Guys have realized this and now include “newer” muscle cars. Good Guys was originally created as a group for street rods. It realized that the hobby is more than that and grew to include the muscle cars of the 60’s and 70’s. Now, within the past couple of years, it has realized that for the hobby to grow it must expand to also include the newer cars as well.

My view is that, in order to show the enthusiasts of the future how great this hobby can be, they must be included to witness, first hand, how to interact with others in a positive manner….and even some of the “old guard” can open their eyes to some new ideas and views.

We have all developed friendships, and even (in a way) families, because of our love for the art form of the automobile. Why exclude the youth because their passion takes a different form? We were all kids once. We all remember just wanting to be included. And when we were “kept out” we often felt unwanted and angry. You can’t expect them to learn how to interact if you don’t allow them to.

moparkid25
    Participant
    jonmandude wrote:
    While I understand the sentiments expressed here, I often think that maybe the “exclusive” attitude of this show has created the problems. By restricting the show to “older vehicles”, the message is that the newer cars are somehow “not good enough”. The newer car owners have now expressed a desire to be included the only way they can, by creating their own. If the wish is to be an event for car enthusiasts, then it should include ALL car enthusiasts. Even the Good Guys have realized this and now include “newer” muscle cars. Good Guys was originally created as a group for street rods. It realized that the hobby is more than that and grew to include the muscle cars of the 60’s and 70’s. Now, within the past couple of years, it has realized that for the hobby to grow it must expand to also include the newer cars as well.

My view is that, in order to show the enthusiasts of the future how great this hobby can be, they must be included to witness, first hand, how to interact with others in a positive manner….and even some of the “old guard” can open their eyes to some new ideas and views.

We have all developed friendships, and even (in a way) families, because of our love for the art form of the automobile. Why exclude the youth because their passion takes a different form? We were all kids once. We all remember just wanting to be included. And when we were “kept out” we often felt unwanted and angry. You can’t expect them to learn how to interact if you don’t allow them to.

I see your point, and understand where the youth of today is coming from. I have no issue with them having a show that only supports newer vehicles, but I don’t understand the need to have it on the same day as an established show.

With that said, Automotion has, since I can remember, had a cutoff of the 1989 model year. Its no secret that if the cutoff were removed, vehicles would be turned away as there is only so much room in one parking lot. Could the event be held elsewhere? Probably. But why? It’s been at Noah’s Ark since I started attending with that red Charger I owned so long ago. Frankly, the last couple years the weather has been nice enough that cars were turned away due to unavailable room.

In the future, it may have worked out that these events could’ve been held together, but IMO that bridge was burned last year with the Millenial Entitlement Club having shows on the same day.

circletrack
    Participant

Jon, I also understand your views and agree 110% the younger generation should be included at car shows.. sooner or later some of the older generation isn’t going to be able to participate, then what?

However.. I also think this weekend is a HUGE excuse to be in the Dells that weekend without any intention of attending a car show, no matter what year/make/model car they have. This weekend has been promoted since Automotion ended last year as the party of the year, there is no excuse to have as many shows on the same weekend, it turns into a safety issue. We have several from the club that are not attending this year, or will go for a few hours and that makes me sad and angry — something that once was a good time and fun weekend has turned into a chaotic, uncontrollable (at times) mess.

Amigo2k
Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.