Welcome Forum Car Shows Albany Car Show Sunday June 22 2008

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Specific Ratings (A-F):
    Arrival/Departure (easy to find, easy to leave?) – B Easy to find, a nice drive from Madison.
    Parking Location – B+ Very nice dry field
    Class Organization – B Good organization, though certain classes were large, they could of been broken up more.
    Trophies & Prizes – B Looked like a nice bunch of trophies. Some nice door prizes also.
    Food – A Great sandwiches, pork, beef, etc. Ice cream which was a nice dessert.
    Entertainment – D- Obnoxious. The music selection was terrible and the DJ talked over it most of the time.
    Judging – NA Had to leave befor the awards.
    Dash Plaque – B Nice scene.
    Variety of Cars – A Great variety of cars for a show of this size, many I hadn’t seen before.
    Bathrooms – B Inside
    Weather – A Great day.
    Trophy Presentation Timing – NA
    Entry Fee – B Typica;l of shows these days.
    Overall Rating:B+

This is an enjoyable relaxing show. The nice drive down in the morning is a good start to the day.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

Specific Ratings (A-F):
    Arrival/Departure (easy to find, easy to leave?) – My GPS took me right to the show, and they had a large banner pointing you to the show.

Parking Location – most of the cars were on the grass (about 140 cars; last year I think there was about 180 cars).

Class Organization – Yes, but as stated some classes were huge or super small.

Trophies & Prizes – Door prizes were there, Trophies were the stock ones most shows have.

Food – brats burgers and Pork/turkey/roast beef sandwiches as big as your head.

Entertainment – Ummm… yeah…. Why must she speak all the time? It is almost like watching a train wreak it is that comical. Music selection super poor it was just the stock car show tunes.

Judging – Very Very through. This is one of the few shows where the judges are looking for bugs, lay on the ground to look under it, look in the wheel wells and may even open a door to check the door jams.

Dash Plaque – Got one. Very nice.

Variety of Cars – A little bit of everything. Even some old Model As.

Bathrooms – Inside.

Weather – Only a couple of drops of rain towards the end. Poured at times for me on the way home.

Trophy Presentation Timing – Started about 20 minutes early due to the rain that was on the way.

Entry Fee – 10 bucks.

Overall Rating:B

My only suggestions is putting some garbage cans around the show. Only 1 trophy per car and splitting up some of the classes a bit.

[img]https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/rendres/web/carshow2008/al1.JPG[/img]

[img]https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/rendres/web/carshow2008/al2.JPG[/img]
    [img]https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/rendres/web/carshow2008/al3.JPG[/img]
    [img]https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/rendres/web/carshow2008/al4.JPG[/img]
    [img]https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/rendres/web/carshow2008/al5.JPG[/img]
    [img]https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/rendres/web/carshow2008/albanypan.JPG[/img]

moparkid25
    Participant

Specific Ratings (A-F):
    Arrival/Departure (easy to find, easy to leave?) – A, real easy show to find and to get to.
    Parking Location – B, all the cars were parked on the grass.
    Class Organization – B, all cars in the same class were parked together. They need to break up some more classes, way too many cars in Special Interest.
    Trophies & Prizes – B, nice trophy for the size of the show.
    Food – A, burgers, brats, pork sandwiches.
    Entertainment F, F! F!! When is 3d Sound going to get rid of this DJ? She used to DJ the Monroe Show in years past and was very annoying. She was still annoying today but it seemed she had toned it down a bit compared to her usual rambling of the mouth.
    Judging – B
    Dash Plaque – Got one, nice.
    Variety of Cars – B, some usuals and some new stuff.
    Bathrooms – C, clean but there was line forming towards the end of the day…
    Weather – Good until I got to New Glarus on the way home where I was met by a downpour.
    Trophy Presentation Timing – About 20-30 minutes late.
    Entry Fee – $10
    Overall Rating:B

This is a good show, but there are a few things they need to change up. They need to have some newer vehicle classes, perhaps an exotics class, a Corvette class, etc. The Special Interest catagory filled up quick. I also agree with Amigo that they should imply a “One Car-One Trophy” rule. It’s too easy to win a best Mopar and Best of Show when you’ve got a trailer queen (Not that the red cuda in question isn’t a beautiful car or isn’t worthy of an award – It is a very nice, well restored car). I felt there were a couple other Mopar muscle cars worthy of the Best Of award.

Oh yeah, I guess I already gave my thoughts on the DJ….. icon_vomit1.gif

moparkid25
    Participant

Oh Yeah, I forgot to mention in one of Amigo’s pictures that the dude scrubbin’ that IROC is lookin’ pretty good…. wave.gif

Amigo2k

… and I almost forgot. Congrats to Moparkid for his win today!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

That is a really cool panoramic Ryan!!! It looks like the show was about the same size as last year though like you said a bit smaller.

Quote:
    Arrival/Departure (easy to find, easy to leave?) – A, real easy show to find and to get to.

Yeah I remember that as being a great feature of it least year, right on the highway basically

Congrats on the win Moparkid! icon_headbang.gif

circletrack
    Participant

Wow Zac, I’d hold on to the Chevrolet with all the hardware you’re taking home! Who’s your painter? :banana:

RivFan
    Participant
    Quote:
    Oh Yeah, I forgot to mention in one of Amigo’s pictures that the dude scrubbin’ that IROC is lookin’ pretty good…. wave.gif

If you ask me, get that dude a sandwich or something…yikes icon_cheesygrin.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

OK, here goes. I hate to be the “fly in the ointment”, but I will speak up on this show.

First of all, Congrats to Moparkid25 on a well deserved Best of Class Award.

The Class D (1961-1970 Original/Restored) was way too large last year, and even larger this year. Too many cars! Also, there were several ‘vettes in this class that should have been in the Special Interest/Sports Car class. Not suprisingly, two of these ‘vettes in Class D took two of the three best in class awards. The placing of vehicles into the proper class needs to be consistent.

There were at least three, and maybe four cars, that won not only Best of Class, but also a Best of _____ award. With a show of this size, it would be appropriate to enforce the one car/one award policy. Although, to be fair to the Albany Lions Club, nothing was mentioned in the flyer about multiple awards.

The orange Cuda out of Spring Green is an awesome car! Having said that, the car is trailered and not driven and wins big at any show they take this car to. Most shows, this car will be the Best of Show winner. How does an average Joe with a nice car that is driven compete against a car like this?

Albany is a very nice drive South of Madison. I like the location and the food at this show, but in all likelihood, I won’t go back to Albany for next year’s show.

circletrack
    Participant

Marshall ~ that’s why many shows need a trailered class and need to enforce it. If the judges find out the car was trailered and put in a different class, I think they should be disqualified. Yes, I realize this is all for a $5 or less trophy, but when we drive our cars to every show (and we all do) and put the amount of time, money and everything else into them, it’s downright impossible to compete against something that never sees the road ~ let alone bugs, rock chips, I could go on and on.

I also feel you should only be eligible for one award, unless your car is chosen as “Mayor, Police/Fire Chief, Peoples Choice” or something like that. There are enough cars at shows now to spread the awards around and it seems silly to have one car take home 3 awards when other deserving cars don’t win anything. If you’re eligible for Best of Show, Best in Class should be given to another car.

This will always be a tough topic for many, as shows get larger it’s a good time to sit back and learn from one year to the next.

GTO Man

I would agree that trailered cars belong in their own class. The car show organizers should look at the feedback from sites like this to improve for the next year. Probably one of the issues is that the trailered class would usually be very small. As far as the other classes it is easy enough to break up the 1961 to 1970 class into 1961 to 1965 and 1966 to 1970, or something to that effect. A Mustang should be 1964 to 1973 and others. Their should be a two seat sports car class for Corvettes and others. The organizers can make some small changes to make it more enjoyable for everyone.

Anonymous
    Inactive

These concerns that I am referring to are not new to this show. I wrote a personal letter to the Albany Lions Club last year and followed that up with a one on one telephone conversation with Abe Runaas, the show organizer. He actually called me at home as a result of my letter to the Lions Club. Abe indicated that he was aware of the issues that I had raised and would have them corrected for this year’s show, but nothing seemed to have changed for this years show. Actually, the problems appear to have gotten worse.

Nothing is more confusing than inconsistency in placing cars in classes. How in the world those two (maybe more?) Corvettes were placed in the stock class when there was a designated class for Corvettes is beyond me.

:horse:

Anonymous
    Inactive

As a follow-up to my previous post, in my opinion, it would be appropriate to break up those two large original/restored classes into four classes, and maybe add a class for convertibles (all years/all makes) or Camaros or Mustangs or whatever it takes to cover so many cars.

Anyway, I felt like I needed to say my piece on this one and put it to bed and move on and get ready for the next show. I am pretty excited about the upcoming First Annual Show in Portage next weekend (weather permitting)!

Marshall

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.