Welcome Forum The Lounge Are You A Wal-Mart Fan?

• Creator
    Topic
    hpdog259962
    Participant

Sound Off Y’All. Are You A Wal-Mart Fan?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

No

GTO Man

I have been in Walmart once or twice. I would rather pay more for something at a store that cares what is happening to this country. Walmart has changed the face of many towns by driving the mom and pop operations out of business. There way of dictating to their suppliers what they will charge is not the way business should be done here. They are one of the big reasons that Chinese junk is on store shelves. Too bad people in this country aren’t willing to boycott them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

They do have excellent prices and selection, but their employee abuse is well documented. Furthermore Wal-Mart is so powerful they can manipulate or destroy the economies of many countries. 😯

While this isn’t a popular notion with many people these days, we are our brothers keeper, IMO. And I don’t mean for just a few hours per week, this is something that must extend to everything we do, 24/7. Souless companies (like Wal-Mart) need to open their eyes or they will ruin things big-time.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nope Kmart is nicer. I actually shop more at Meijer (a regional retail store – midwest – michigan, ohio, and maybe indiana nowadays).

circletrack
    Participant

Yes, I’m usually there once a week or so. The prices and selection are good. YES I realize there are other places to shop, but I firmly believe there is no perfect world and/or place to shop and it’s convenient for me and my family. I was just there tonight and bought some of the new Megairs wax we talked about last week! :)

hpdog259962
    Participant

No, they are closing the KMart by us. It will now be a Sears Grand.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wal Mart sucks. Usually no matter which one I have been to (and I’ve been to a total of 3 in my life) it seems like a great place for hicks with tank tops and very few teeth to shop. It’s the one big reason why I never shop there unless it’s an emergency and the only place available.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I go there for food and consumables (toiletries, automotive fluids). Mobil 1 there is the same as Mobil 1 bought anywhere else. Just don’t buy your oil filters there!!! And almost all the stuff I buy at WalMart is Made in USA. It’s the rest of the store that is junk and I don’t even go to those parts of the store.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Not a fan, no.

But I sometimes go there for the convenience, since we have one close to us.

hpdog259962
    Participant

Now Wal-Mart Seems To Not Want Business from Compnaies:

Wal-Mart’s Turnaround Effort Gains Steam
    Maya Roney, 03.16.06, 3:01 PM ET

http://www.forbes.com/2006/03/16/wal-mart-procter-gamble-0316markets15.html?partner=alerts

Procter & Gamble’s inventory reduction at Wal-Mart Stores is a clear indication that Wal-Mart’s turnaround efforts are gaining momentum, according to Goldman Sachs research analyst Amy Low Chasen.

The analyst maintained an “outperform” rating on Wal-Mart (nyse: WMT – news – people ).

“A major piece of Wal-Mart’s U.S. turnaround plan hinges on improved inventory flow to drive ROIC improvement — and this data point confirms that Wal-Mart is purchasing inventory closer to need, thereby improving returns,” wrote the analyst in a research report Thursday.

While Wal-Mart is poised to benefit from this heightened inventory management, vendors across the household and personal care, and beverages and packaged food sectors are negatively impacted, Chasen said.

The analyst believes Procter & Gamble (nyse: PG – news – people ) is starting to feel the brunt of Wal-Mart’s intensified efforts to improve inventory productivity, and may be just the first of several consumer companies that will begin to feel sales pressure over the near- to medium-term.

In Chasen’s opinion, suppliers with a large exposure to Wal-Mart that could potentially face some pressure include Clorox (nyse: CLX – news – people ), Playtex Products (nyse: PYX – news – people ), Chattem (nasdaq: CHTT – news – people ), Prestige Brands Holdings (nyse: PBH – news – people ) and Cott Corp (nyse: COT – news – people )

The analyst maintained an “underperform” rating on Cott. She maintained “in-line” ratings on Clorox, Playtex, Chattem and Prestige Brands.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Not a fan, no.

But I sometimes go there for the convenience, since we have one close to us.

That’s true of pretty much all over, they’re everywhere 😯

hpdog259962
    Participant

In a town next to me, there is a stoplight to get into the Wal-Mart there is nothing else there, just them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve never been inside a Wal Mart but I’ve ordered from their website.
    The delivery was VERY fast.

Their prices aren’t always the lowest. I bought a new Canon scanner
    from Newegg. Wal Mart’s price was higher.

I don’t think Wal mart really puts other stores out of business. All
    they do is build a building and fill it with products. But then the hype
    starts and the consumers start to flock there. The prices and service are
    about the same as the other big retail stores.

Big discount stores aren’t new. Way back in the 1960s there were stores
    like that too, but they didn’t put the mom and pop stores out.

Quote:
    great place for hicks with tank tops and very few teeth to shop

That’s a flea market! icon_cheesygrin.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Even if they’re not the absolute lowest the issue is their prices are low enough to drive the small “mom and pop” businesses out of business – which is the big hurt on small towns throughout the US

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s an example: My brother-in-law owns a small auto parts store. He says the wholesale price on some of his goods is higher than the retail price some of the chain stores charge. And that’s because the chain stores get a better price for buying huge quantities. If everyone decided to shop at the chain stores, he’d be out of business.

Read this Pulitzer Prize winning article.
    http://www.pulitzer.org/year/2004/national-reporting/works/walmart1.html

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.