Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Auto Manufacturers no longer in business.

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

What made the cars produced by a defunct manufacturer special? What are some of the manufacturers no longer in business, old and new?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

More recently I would say Oldsmobile. Olds produced some vehicles that we’ll never forget and some that we would like to forget. The Olds 442 is one of their more famous models and at the other end of the spectrum you have the Oldsmobile Sillouette minivan. The minivan that was 50% windshield. icon_cheesygrin.gif

I must say that I always wanted a Cultas Supreme convertible. It’s just a nice, all around cruiser.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Rover is dying icon_sad.gif

To be honest, I am not too sure they will recover this time, they only have 1% market share in Europe now !
    They have made such wonders with the Rover V8…
    And I have always liked the Range Rovers too…
    I guess the spirit has gone.
    Too bad…

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    More recently I would say Oldsmobile. Olds produced some vehicles that we’ll never forget and some that we would like to forget. The Olds 442 is one of their more famous models and at the other end of the spectrum you have the Oldsmobile Sillouette minivan. The minivan that was 50% windshield. icon_cheesygrin.gif

I must say that I always wanted a Cultas Supreme convertible. It’s just a nice, all around cruiser.

You might wanna talk to Big Block about that, he’s got a 71 cutlass! thumbsup.gif

GTO Man

Some of the old ones which are gone areof course Dusenberg, Cord and the Auburn. They had such unbelievable style. In a number of ways there were way ahead of their time.

montefrazer
    Participant

Some of the more popular ones and less known ones that were gone in the 50’s, 60’s, 70’s, etc. Kaiser- Frazer, Henry J, Darrin, Willys, Packard, Nash, Hudson, Rambler, AMC, Excaliber, Bricklin, Delorean, Tucker, Fiero, Eagle, Studebaker, Edsel, Plymouth, Packard, King Midget, Crosley. I’m sure there are more.

montefrazer
    Participant
    Quote:
    What made the cars produced by a defunct manufacturer special? What are some of the manufacturers no longer in business, old and new?

What made them special? Part of it is nostalgia. The people that recognize my Frazer either loved the car or hated it when they had one or knew someone that had one, but they all have stories to tell. Part is innovation. These car makers were working with little money compared to the big 3 so they had to do something to stand out. Kaiser came up with the Darrin just before the end. Studebaker had the Hawk and Avanti. Nash did the upside down bath tub. Hudson with Twin H Power was a popular race car in it’s day. They stood out from the crowd then and they still do today.

hpdog259962
    Participant

AMC is buried by Chrlsyer. Drogar-Cry(LBG).gif

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    AMC is buried by Chrlsyer. Drogar-Cry(LBG).gif

I’m thinking that Renault could take more of that accountability than Chrysler. It seems that after Renault’s aqusition of AMC in the late 70’s we saw less and less of their product line with the Jeep brand name the last remaining bit of the company.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

What made them special? Part of it is nostalgia. The people that recognize my Frazer either loved the car or hated it when they had one or knew someone that had one, but they all have stories to tell. Part is innovation. These car makers were working with little money compared to the big 3 so they had to do something to stand out. Kaiser came up with the Darrin just before the end. Studebaker had the Hawk and Avanti. Nash did the upside down bath tub. Hudson with Twin H Power was a popular race car in it’s day. They stood out from the crowd then and they still do today.

Ah yes, the bathtub nash:
    normal_Edgerton%20Car%20Show%20119.jpg

The seats in it also folded down into a bed:
    normal_Edgerton%20Car%20Show%20116.jpg

montefrazer
    Participant

Yup, good old Nash seats. They even got mentioned on an episode of “Happy Days.”

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Yup, good old Nash seats. They even got mentioned on an episode of “Happy Days.”

It was definitely a different car, something you didn’t see everyday!

hpdog259962
    Participant

Renault could take some of the blame because after Renault bought 51% of AMC, the company plummited, but Chrysler is the company who destroyed the plans to AMC & tore down the factories.

Garibaldi, can I use those Nash Pics on my website?

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Renault could take some of the blame because after Renault bought 51% of AMC, the company plummited, but Chrysler is the company who destroyed the plans to AMC & tore down the factories.

Sure go right ahead! thumbsup.gif I also have a front view of it as well:
    normal_Edgerton%20Car%20Show%20118.jpg

And also the engine:
    normal_Edgerton%20Car%20Show%20117.jpg

There are higher resolution ones (640×480) in the photo gallery, they are in the Edgerton Car Show folder. If you need anything bigger than that just let me know and I’ll send you them. If you want maybe you could throw a link to wiscollectorcar on your site if you get a chance.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:

The fact is that Renault was dangerously experiencing a joint venture without being an enough strong company at the same time…
    … Plus they’ve had a very hard time to manufacture the spare parts or have them manufactured.
    People had to wait for ages for their repairs, it is easy to understand it was an unbearable situation for customers.

I am pretty sure that now, things would not be the same, Renault has become a reliable company although a few mistakes and choices here and there (cruise control problem for the moment, but that is no big deal in fact)…

But who never makes mistakes ? I guess only people who don’t do anything.

hpdog259962
    Participant

True Lightning. But where would AMC be now, probably bought out by a “big-three” company about the same time.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.