Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Automotion Weekend 2016:

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

Why? Why? Why must these other shows take place the same weekend as Automotion?

Sounds like a cluster**** of a traffic jam again this year. Circle track, it might be time to add electric fans to your Chevelle so you don’t overheat in traffic this year.

I have the preregistration form for automotion sitting on my desk, I want to go, but I can’t bring myself to send the form in. I know I would have a great time that weekend at the show, but I can’t stand the thought of the idiot kids driving like assholes, not being able to get around, and feeling like a prisoner in the Dells that weekend :(

FastWithClass
    Participant
    moparkid25 wrote:

Sounds like a cluster**** of a traffic jam again this year. Circle track, it might be time to add electric fans to your Chevelle so you don’t overheat in traffic this year.

I have the preregistration form for automotion sitting on my desk, I want to go, but I can’t bring myself to send the form in. I know I would have a great time that weekend at the show, but I can’t stand the thought of the idiot kids driving like assholes, not being able to get around, and feeling like a prisoner in the Dells that weekend :(

Fuck Automotion.

http://www.monticello-wi.com/cms-view-page.php?page=spring-fling

7 PM band. A gaggle of long haired freaks that plays 80’s metal/rock.

I might even let you camp in my yard, or basement & bang some slut you drag back from the beertent.

circletrack
    Participant

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure all those shows were held last year, so they aren’t adding anything new.

I did talk to one of the Dells Cruisers this weekend, and we both agreed it’s annoying for the younger group to feel entitled to have shows the same weekend Automotion has been held for the last 25+ years, but that’s the way life works now

I’m not thrilled with it either, and know many of the clubs are second guessing themselves, but also feel if we don’t support Automotion we are only caving to the kids that want to take over the town and hurting a good, existing show that can’t control the idiots around them. I have heard the police presence will be even stronger these year, hopefully they at least help with traffic control.

moparkid25
    Participant
    FastWithClass wrote:
    moparkid25 wrote:

F*** Automotion.

http://www.monticello-wi.com/cms-view-page.php?page=spring-fling

7 PM band. A gaggle of long haired freaks that plays 80’s metal/rock.

I might even let you camp in my yard, or basement & bang some slut you drag back from the beertent.

[attachment=507]FB_IMG_1447802041900.jpg[/attachment]

Now that sounds like a fun, local alternative. Perhaps we can get our Janesville friend to attend with his C4 at the show, then we all enjoy an adult beverage or two that evening to Shout at the Devil?

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

Im on the fence about that weekend as well. The Mt Olympus show was fun since it was something different, but the complete cluster of the Dells makes me really hesitant to go again.

Amigo2k

Something new for the Real Automotion
    Per the automotion website:

Hollywood on Broadway 5PM – 9PM

“Hollywood on Broadway” keeps the Automotion fun going from 5:00pm – 9:00pm on Saturday night when replicas of iconic Hollywood cars, such as the Ghostbusters car, Kitt and the Smokey & the Bandit, the Back to the Future DeLorean and the Mystery Machine go on display downtown Wisconsin Dells. Get your camera ready and head downtown for a chance to photograph these stars of steel.

Amigo2k
    moparkid25
    Participant

Another case of $100k will buy you a car, but won’t buy you common sense.

Saturday evening a woman and her child were struck by a car, who after hitting them attempted to flee the scene (in that traffic?). That car was then run off the road by a guy in his “BroDozer” (A big lifted diesel truck) into a phone pole where his airbags deployed.

The Edge of the Dells incident was at least contained, and no one appeared injured. I can’t confirm that the woman and child who were struck were in a crosswalk, but nonetheless that is going to leave a mark with city officials who are now probably looking at how to they will address next years events… If there is events anymore.

circletrack
    Participant

Automotion 2016 has come and gone – saw a little bit of everything this weekend. Our hotel seemed to be party central, which was different than years past. Way too many young kids that had no intention of attending any of the shows in the Dells, more of an excuse to borrow Daddy’s vehicle and stay drunk all weekend.

This is the first year we did not feel safe at our hotel and that’s a problem. After midnight on Friday night a few girls decided to use of one the cars as a bed by laying across the trunk lid while another used the front bumper as leverage to urinate – not cool. It’s a good thing the owner didn’t see this (he was sleeping), as someone would have gone to jail that night. Sunday morning we woke to a ’76 hatchback Nova with three big guys sleeping in it, no idea where they came from, and can’t imagine how they manged to make that work, but at least they were smart enough to call it a night.

We didn’t have any problems getting back to the hotel as we decided to wait until the park emptied a bit , which started happening quite early this year, I’m guessing no one wanted to be part of the traffic mess or wanted to get out of town before any of the idiots woke up.

Saturday night was a free for all at the hotel, seemed like a spring break atmosphere with the pop up tents all over the place, grilling out, tossing Frisbee and more alcohol than anyone needed. I saw more underage kids drinking this weekend, and no one seemed to have respect for anything. I felt bad for the police as they were trying to control the crowd but there was no way 6 on foot, two on motorcycle and a few others in marked & unmarked vehicles were going to make a difference.

I’m not sure we’ll go back next year, and if we do, it’ll be for the day. I love this show, a chance to get the season started, reconnect with friends and see some really cool cars, but the town is not big enough for everything. I miss the days when the show was in the park and much smaller. No one had to worry about all this stupid stuff.

One of my co-workers camps in the Dells every weekend and said many of the business owners were not happy at all with the events that went on, they would like this to end. I know it brings a lot of money in, but also a lot of hard, extra work I’m guessing these businesses don’t need. I’d love to be a fly on the wall at the next Chamber of Commerce meeting, I’m guessing there will be more than a few complaints.

Amigo2k

“This is not Automotion. Because we didn’t have any problems with Automotion — it’s the other freak show,” said Lake Delton Police Chief Daniel Hardman. “It’s not fair to Automotion that these idiots and other people do this stuff.”

http://www.wiscnews.com/wisconsindellsevents/news/local/article_7e298c83-3e2f-5e2f-82d4-fd07785c0a47.html

GTO Man

Interesting article, sounds like the police and city leaders know where the problem lies. Doesn’t sound like Automotion will be going away anytime soon.

moparkid25
    Participant

Zac’s Automotion Experience:

I drove up on Friday afternoon. Coming into the Lake Delton on Hwy 12, the State Patrol had a trap set up and were using air patrol to radar traffic. Right away that told me there was zero tolerance for horsing around on the street.

As I turned onto WI Dells Pkwy, I’m cruising down to my motel and am met my some little swag punk in a white VW Golf who gives me and my car a thumbs down. I can only laugh, because not only do I know I’m faster, but this cocky little hipster has no idea what he could get himself into had I not be much more calm and laid back than that of years past.

Once checked in and settled, Vipermuscle and I grabbed our chairs and headed to the front lawn to watch the cars cruise into town. They are very hard to see in between all of the Brodozers (a term I learned this weekend, describing lifted trucks full of dudes). The ricers were in full force, bouncing there rev’s off the limiters, driving like pissed off teenagers, blasting shitty music, and being a nuisance like the rest of the hillbillies. I did notice the ricers that didn’t drive like idiots had nice cars… That is the difference when you have worked hard to have something nice. You take care of it and respect it. Friday night we went to dinner, in my car, and were met with spectators asking me to “spool up” or “burnout.” I did neither, knowing the consequences. Plus, if I’m going to show off, its going to be for chicks and little kids, not drunk a-holes.

Saturday, we were up bright and early, and in line to get into the show at 6:50am. Had to wait for them to open the gates, but they had four lanes getting in and it wasn’t the worst wait I’ve ever had. Got in, got parked, musked up on sunscreen, and enjoyed the day! When leaving the show on Saturday, traffic was very congested, but only took us about 20-25 minutes to get around the block and down to our motel. Saturday saw the same story as Friday, only when going to dinner we were in Dwightamite’s car. Idiots galore!

Of course, Sunday morning was a breeze as there was little to no traffic getting into the show and leaving town. In the morning hours, all the party animals were still sleeping it off. We didn’t stick around for awards, and I got home about 3:30pm.

It wasn’t too long ago I was a young man in my mid-20s attending this show with my car. I partied and took part in a lot of motel room debauchery. I wasn’t driving if I had been drinking. I wasn’t being a disturbance to other guests at the motel. I cleaned up after myself, and that room looked like it did when I checked in. It’s funny how time changes you, because now I’m a young man in my mid-30s and I have a different outlook of the events at this weekend. With social media being what it is nowdays, it certainly hasn’t helped promote this weekend for the better. I’m all for cruising, all for having a good time, but I am not for promoting underage drinking and drug use in public. It’s almost as if these millenials are challenging the police, saying “I dare you to bust me.”

I had a good time at the show, but just like last year I had to ask myself, “Do I really want to piss around with all of this next year?” Here I am again asking myself the same question. I’m fortunate that our motel only lets guests who have previously stayed there rent rooms for car show weekend. I’m also not one for more police, but frankly I think it would help on this weekend. Lake Delton, or the business owners there, do not deserve to have their properties ruined/trashed. I read the article Ryan posted, and I was happy to see that the city and its law enforcement officials are on the side of Automotion. Frankly, the other shows that take place at Mt. Olympus, Wintergreen, and such should be held on another weekend. If they were, I feel a lot less problems would come about. It sounds like the D-bag that owns Mt. Olympus thinks he owns the Dells, and I’m sure if the city asked him to hold his event on a different weekend, he would fight them.

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

Here’s my Automotion, even though it was only for Saturday.

Got to the Dells around 9am, no traffic. I attended the Mt. Olympus show this year. The show itself was a pretty fun event as there were a lot of things to watch such as the dyno comps, burnout/drift pit, and hydraulic/lowrider expo, and good club djs. It was also nice because we could take our 3 yr old into the park so he could swim and ride go karts for a bit.

This year they changed things up a bit to try to get people to stay later rather than flood the streets all at once. Awards were pushed back to 6:30 and then the stunt riding demos and other things went on until about 9pm. The crowd at the show was a very mixed bag of backgrounds and ages, as were the vehicles, however attendance was down compared to last year most likely due to the large show at the Wilderness. As for behavior, at the show it was pretty laid back and was not wild at all.

I left after awards to check out the few other shows and noticed something that I dont think people have mentioned but Zac and a few other attendees hinted at: The majority of the “idiots” that were driving around in trucks and crap cars didnt attend any of the shows. From what I saw and discussed with show runners was that those of us who have put time into building nice rides are rarely the ones screwing around. If you have been to the Dells for opening weekend, the drunkenness and wild shenanigans are almost the same as what it is for Automotion weekend.

Personally, I see no problem on having multiple shows in town that day (aside from the traffic volume). It gives people options and variety especially since each of the 5 shows were completely different in what they offered. Yes it sucks that some people get waaaay out of hand (and its not just the young crowd to blame). But there is also a lot of good going on too with the shows.

circletrack
    Participant

After reading the article that came out regarding Automotion yesterday, I do agree there can be other shows in town and it’s good to have variety.

I would like to see some sort of crackdown on the trucks filled with kids, no one needs to see that. There was a police officer at the hotel on Friday when we checked in and we asked about the kids in trucks – he said while they don’t like or encourage it, they had bigger fish to fry last weekend and mainly tried to keep them in the truck and safe. I did hear reports of kids falling out and getting hurt, that would be their own stupidity.

I talked to the owner of the hotel we stay at today as we left something behind and I asked for her observations from last weekend. She said while she didn’t like a lot that went on, she decided to pick her battles and keep her guests safe. She could have complained and had the police kick all the kids out that were loitering, but she wanted to keep her property intact. She said several hotels had a lot of damage including holes in walls and ceilings, why does anyone have to be that destructive? She said the hardest part was renting a room and finding out 8-10 kids were sleeping in it (there is NO way I’d be sleeping on the floor of any hotel).

We’ll see what next year brings

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.