Welcome Forum Car Shows Best way to do participant judging?

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Participant Judging is undoubtedly one of the hardest aspects of a car show in terms of coordination and fairness. What methods or approaches would you use to make participant judging work well? What type of a system would you develop? Is there such a thing as a good type of participant judging?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

I like the system used by the folks who do the Jesus Built my Hot Rod show. You judge half a dozen or so classes, of which your car is not in. It doesn’t eliminate all the buddy votes, but it helps make things more fair.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

That sounds like a reasonable way to do it. Do you think there’s a way to prevent buddy votes as well?

moparkid25
    Participant
    Garibaldi wrote:
    That sounds like a reasonable way to do it. Do you think there’s a way to prevent buddy votes as well?

No.

Amigo2k

Zac is correct. That is about the best way to do participant voting. There is really no way to stop the buddy vote or car clubs only voting for their own members.

Even with doing the top 25, there is nothing stopping a car club with 15 members there voting just for their club cars.

In my opinion, if you are worried about judging you need to go to a concourse judge show where the judges that are judging certain makes or models really know a lot about that certain car (like an all Corvette show). I’m not aware of any shows in Wisconsin (there may be one in Milwaukee) that is to that level. And even at that level people will have different opinions of what is right or wrong on your car.

Amigo2k

couple of good articles on Judging:

http://www.superchevy.com/features/0112sc_judging_chevy_shows/index.html

“We put coffee cans out in front of each car and spectators & participants are encouraged to put a dollar in as a vote. Who ever has the most money at the end of the day wins -then the money goes to our charity.”

http://www.cruisintimes.org/cruisin/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=193:car-show-judging&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

circletrack
    Participant

Spring Green also does a great job with participant voting in which you have to vote for several different classes, and your class is not included. The last few years the sheets I’ve received have very few club members/friends cars in.

No matter what, you will always have friends voting for each other and I don’t think we can deny at times those votes are valid and well deserved. Even with judged shows you will have people that know their cars inside and out, but someone else will disagree on how the car was judged.

moparkid25
    Participant

RivFan is the only one on here that I know of who attends concourse shows, but he travels all over the country to Buick only events.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Vote for my buddies and cars that i like. And anyone but memebers of “Team Disgustang.”

GTO Man

I thought the way that God’s Country Pontiac decided to try worked out well, though maybe the top 25 was a bit much. I do think the best of and special awards should be picked by someone other than the participants. If there are classes in a participant judged show then a limited number of classes should be judged byt the participants. And no participant should judge their own class.

moparkid25
    Participant
    GTO Man wrote:
    I thought the way that God’s Country Pontiac decided to try worked out well, though maybe the top 25 was a bit much. I do think the best of and special awards should be picked by someone other than the participants. If there are classes in a participant judged show then a limited number of classes should be judged byt the participants. And no participant should judge their own class.

This is how the show in Durand, IL was done. They gave awards to the top 40 cars, then a best of show award, best paint, etc. At first I thought it was kinda dumb, but I’ve been to a couple of shows this year that have done awards this way. Its not the worst way to keep things sorta fair when it comes to awards, and it also eliminates classes.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.