Welcome Forum Car Shows Blanchardville

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

What did you think of the Blanchardville show?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    circletrack
    Participant

Nice show, great location. Having the pool for the kids is always a positive, it’s unfortunate the park is so out in the open without and shade (unless you’re a vendor).

This may be me, but I’ve been to numerous shows this year with the same sound system and while that guy does an okay job ~ he tends to get annoying after a bit.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I really liked the wide variety of cars at the show, I would say at least 300 of them! That made the show interesting, lots of very very nice cars, as well as lots of people to talk with. I talked with MMRJR and Circletrack, MMRJR was lucky enough to get under some of the only (and scarce) shade in the field! The food was good, and most importantly they had ICE CREAM, a necessity in the terrible heat yesterday. The little shade and extreme temperature were the only downsides to this show, so I’m giving it a A-

GTO Man

I would give the show a B+. They always have alot of nice cars. It is a nice setting even though it always seems to be very warm. That DJ does get around. The one that was at Monroe is another one that is at alot of shows. It is one of the better organized shows of the year. One thing that would be interesting is that if the people putting on the show would post the winners and how they scored. I doubt I won anything but I just couldn’t stick it out all day in that heat.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would also give it a B+, but why does it get to be 4PM or later before the trophys are handed out? I would like to be on the road by 4PM or so and many of the shows this year have been delayed. It was 5:30PM or later before we were on our way back towards Madison.

The judges as this show (at least with Mustangs) got down on their backs and looked and the chassis and undercarriage. I thought that this might be a bit extreme for cars that are always driven to the shows.

Marshall

Anonymous
    Inactive

P. S.

The final count was 414 cars at the Blanchardville show for 2006.

Marshall

circletrack
    Participant

I did hear the judges were more serious this year, especially with the trailered cars. I don’t have a problem with trailered cars and understand if you came quite the distance and weren’t able to drive your car to the show, but it’s also unfair to park a few blocks away and consider yourself part of the street machine, etc. class.

And yes, 4:00 is pretty late but they had over 400 cars to judge and didn’t start until after noon, it’s a big job. There are many cars that come from Illinois to this show, the variety is always nice!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

There were several from Iowa as well, which is a pretty good drive! I did see one car from Arizona too. How large were the classes once all the cars had arrived?

Anonymous
    Inactive

I thought it was a great show. My only complaint with Blanchardville is that club parking is way out by that corn field. It makes for a very long walk on a hot day to even get to the vendors (gotta love the ice cream!) And thank goodness for our canopy!! I was burnt to a crisp as it was.. more shade would be great. I would still give it an A- though!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

There were, at least, 15 Mustangs, in the 1964 – 2006, Factory Stock Mustang class. Based on what I saw, a couple of these cars were not factory stock! For a middle of the pack kind of car like mine, it is tough enough competing against vintage Mustangs (1964 -1973), so I take exception to shows where the new/newer ones are mixed in with the old. At the end of the day, one of these new/newer mustangs with some pinstriping won one of the best of class awards.

The long distance award went to a car that drove to the show from Missouri!

Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I thought it was a great show. My only complaint with Blanchardville is that club parking is way out by that corn field. It makes for a very long walk on a hot day to even get to the vendors (gotta love the ice cream!) And thank goodness for our canopy!! I was burnt to a crisp as it was.. more shade would be great. I would still give it an A- though!!

It is very spread out, its too bad that they can’t have the food and vendors in the center, and the cars all around them. That way no matter where you are put you have equal access. Do they make those canopies with a/c?

Quote:
    There were, at least, 15 Mustangs, in the 1964 – 2006, Factory Stock Mustang class. Based on what I saw, a couple of these cars were not factory stock! For a middle of the pack kind of car like mine, it is tough enough competing against vintage Mustangs (1964 -1973), so I take exception to shows where the new/newer ones are mixed in with the old. At the end of the day, one of these new/newer mustangs with some pinstriping won one of the best of class awards.

The long distance award went to a car that drove to the show from Missouri!

People need to be honest about their class, that is very frustrating! If you can’t count on your car to be judged in a fair environment then you know the results are not going to be accurate, period! To be fair each class has to adhere to the requirements, if it is stock the vehicles have to be stock.

Missouri eh? What car did they drive?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well, mostly my ranting and raving is just me.

I am really becoming anal about stock, OE, year correct, concours. I don’t know what might be right or wrong on the first year 64 and a half, or the 66 Mustangs, but I do know what is right or wrong on 65 Mustangs. And, when I see a 65 that has been repainted and is not a factory color with a half a dozen other upgrades and modifications that were not factory available and are not year correct, it makes me think that I am competing in the wrong class. It’s tough enough with the sheer number of vintage Mustangs that show up from week to week. Then when you throw in the new/newer Mustangs and modified Mustangs that ought to be in a different class, it makes it tough to compete.

I must be a glutton for punishment, though, because I keep coming back week after week, and I continue to move towards concours and not to modify the car, for that “wow” factor that most judges seem to award extra points for.

At any rate, I was in the company of some great Mustangs at Blanchardville and I picked up a few pointers (Isn’t it neat how old car guys/gals are willing to share what they know!). And, the fact that the Mustangs were all parked under the big shade tree didn’t hurt either.

Marshall

circletrack
    Participant

Marshall ~ I agree with your points but have decided through the years that I want a car that makes ME happy, not so much the judges. My car isn’t the color it came from the factory (Butternut Yellow ~ yuck), and we’ve made a few changes that aren’t 100% correct either, but it’s my car and I receive many awards and compliments on it.

With that said, I don’t have a classic Mustang and realize that’s a tough class to be in. Yes, there were many, many nice Mustangs at Blanchardville and I continue to see more and more at shows. The bar has been raised in recent years, it’s amazing how many cars we see at shows and the quality of the work. Don’t be so hard on yourself, your car is very nice too and it’s 100% YOURS!

Did you happen to see the Mustang that was in my class? My word, that car had to be worth more than everything I own and was clearly in the wrong class, but there was nothing I could do about it. This show has pretty fair judges and they recognized the fact that although the owner sees that car as a Street Machine, it clearly isn’t.

Keep up the good work, it will pay off! You can never replace what you have!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Well said! :salut: I’m not crazy about Butternut Yellow either icon_vomit1.gif

The best plan would be to blend the stock options with a few modifications to make it what you want it, but not too many. This way with just a few tweaks you can have it be personal but also you’re still qualifying as stock – best of both worlds

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks to both of you for the encouragement. And, you are both right on several points. I do like my car and I like some of the personal touches that I have done to the car, but I just can’t help but think that they are hurting me if judged shows are really what the car is all about. I do like to drive the car and cruise, but I like the old car shows every weekend even more!

Marshall

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would rate the show a A +/-. It is a great location, but the weather this year was extremely hot! I would recommend that they move the trophie presentation time to like 3:00 PM instead of 4:00 PM, it gets too late, especially on a Sunday, when you have to work on a Monday.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.