Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Carburetors

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Which manufacturer makes the best carburetor and for which uses? Which ones are the easiest to tune and adjust, and why?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Which manufacturer makes the best carburetor and for which uses? Which ones are the easiest to tune and adjust, and why?

Kinda depends on what you want to do and how much you want to pay. I have had a few Edelbrocks and I thought they were ok nothing to special. I allways had issues of getting them tuned right, to be perfect. When I had them on milder motors the issues of getting tuned in good was not as noticable but as I started to build a wilder motors I couldn’t get them tuned in at all. Although I do have to admit some of that issue was my ignition system was not up to par either. I went to a 650CFM Mighty Demon carb now and been very happy with the results. Was pretty close right out of the box I only needed to tune it a very little compared to what I used to have to go through to get a EdleBrock to run good. My car is a street and strip car so I think the Might Demon has done ok by me so far! Well worth the money I paid for it. The Mighty Demon has lots of adjustments on it to tune pretty much anything so much I still don’t know what everything is yet. Which kinda frustrates me at times but with an Edelbrock there is very few adjustments that can be made to one. But at least if I need to adjust something I know I will be able too even if I have to ask or look up how to do it first. If I ever built a car just for racing I would probably go to BIGS performance. I think he is loacted up in Stevens Point if I am not mistaken but in the Mopar circles he is well know for building some of the best carbs around!

Demon Carbs are Made by Barry Grant
    http://www.barrygrant.com/

BIGS performance
    http://www.bigsperformance.com/

Anonymous
    Inactive

Every street smallblock enigne that I have ever built for myself gets a lovingly tuned Quadrajet.

They are a little bit more difficult to tune to perfection, but once you find the swet spot, they are hard to beat for both fuel economy AND power at the same time.

We are likely going to find that the opinions in this thread will differ. Personal preference plays a BIG role in what a person will say is “the best” carb.

Carbs that have a “one screw, two minutes in the driveway” idea of tuning are certainly easy to get right, but will not give you the overall adaptability of a Q-Jet, nor anywhere near the accuracy and precision.

There’s my $.02 worth. (and that’s Canadian dollars… icon_wink.gif)

GTO Man

Just about about all the performance cars I have owned have had Quadra-jets and I have been very impressed with them. As you said some others may be easier to tune but that lessens the flexibility.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    There’s my $.02 worth. (and that’s Canadian dollars…

:haha: Canadian dollars!! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif Drogar-BigGrin(LBG).gif (funny stuff!!!)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Quote:

:haha: Canadian dollars!! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif Drogar-BigGrin(LBG).gif (funny stuff!!!)

HEHE you beet me to it!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

HEHE you beet me to it!

Yeah I just thought that was so funny!! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif thumbsup.gif

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.