Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Custom machining job

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s the follow-up to my milling machine thread.

This is the first retail job that I’ve done with this great little machine.

A co-worker of mine and his wife shoot competitively with IPSC. In Canada, we are restricted to 10 rounds in the mag, and one in the pipe to be a legal firearm. The US has no restriction like that, so he can use his hi-capacity mag (15 round) south ‘o the border.

Instead of purchasing 12 new 10 round low-cap mags for their 2 Para-Ordinance .40 S&W’s, he asked me if I would be able to machine him up a bunch of plugs out of 6061 aluminum that would only allow 10 rounds to fit in his mag, but he also wanted it easily removable so he could revert it back to the hi-cap when he was shooting in the US. I thought it would be able to use a pin in the bottom of the cap that would lock into the lower base cover. He would be able to push a rod into the hole in the cover, unlock the plug, slide the cover off, and remove the plug. Refitting the cover would revert it back to 15 round capacity.

I figured it would be a great opportunity to try out the milling machine, and make some coffee money to boot.

Here’s a few pics of the work.
    tn_mag1.jpg

tn_mag2.jpg

tn_mag3.jpg

tn_mag4.jpg

It works perfectly, and he has an order for 11 more of the same for me to do after he is done at their big nationals event in the US later this year.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Have you seen that pic of Cap firing one of his guns? Quite impressive, I don’t remember where it is but I’m sure he’ll find it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Haven’t seen it, sounds interesting…

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.