Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Daytona 500

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Is the race as popular as it has been in the past? And who will win today?

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

Too early to tell who will win, but seeing the 18 car get punted early on brings a smile to my face :)

GTO Man

Great to see someone completely new win the race. And to have the Wood Brothers back in victory lane.

circletrack
    Participant

Great race today, the finish was perfect! Don’t be surprised if this kid get a full ride in the Cup series this week, well deserved! :)

mdunn6
    Participant

So glad to see the wood brothers get they win !
    Thank god mark martin made it, he has bad luck
    I will take 9 th :)
    Go daddy.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I didn’t watch all of the race. Frankly, I’m a bit disappointed at the “push me-pull you” style of racing. I guess it’s just something that grew out of the aerodynamic qualities of the cars. But I think that two drivers pulling/pushing each other around is BS. The best racing I can remember was situations where cars were pretty evenly matched, and the outcome had more to do with the driver’s talent.

F-1 has made tons of changes over the years, in order to put the emphasis back onto the drivers ability, slow the speeds, and eliminate the interactions between cars. Things like adding chicanes, grooving the tires, making the tires narrower, eliminating ground effects, limiting sizes of front and rear wings, etc. In fact, IIRC, the most recent rear wing changes were specifically to prevent the type of drafting we saw at Daytona.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it takes balls to drive 200+mph. I still hit 150mph pretty regularly, and it gets exciting. Going that fast is not for people who think about their mortality too much. So it’s not too surprising that the winner was the youngest winner ever. Youth still feels immortal.

Paul

GTO Man

I agree about the two cars hooked together. I think it takes away from the way a race is supposed to be run. Someone who has a fast car but hasn’t made a deal with someone to push him loses out. The 1.5 mile tracks provide more interesting racing.

moparkid25
    Participant

Paul-Underwood wrote:
    Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it takes balls to drive 200+mph. I still hit 150mph pretty regularly, and it gets exciting. Going that fast is not for people who think about their mortality too much. So it’s not too surprising that the winner was the youngest winner ever. Youth still feels immortal.[/quote]

You sound like an F16 taking off when you rip down the road in the Pantera. And since you bring up mortality, that’s the car to not hit ANYTHING in at 150 mph, otherwise the coroner will only need a mop and bucket to clean you up :laugh:

It does sound pretty awesome though. However, I still like the sound of Pinzgauer burning dinosaurs and giving a big F-U to the DOT ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Zack,

Let’s just say that mortality has it’s shortcomings too. It’s always seemed saner to assume I’m alive today and just make the most of what time I’ve got.

You get further when you’re moving faster. Put that on my tombstone.

Paul

78cruisingwagon
    Participant

I watched the race at a private party hosted by a friend at Brooks Pavilion at Alan Kulwicki Park in Greenfield. Its the second Daytona party that I have attended there in as many years. Its a great place to watch a race.It basicly a museum. Most of Alan Kulwicki’s tropheys are there including his Winston Cup. daytona.jpg

Attachments:
Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.