Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Different Types of Fuel – What do you use?

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

What fuel do you use most of the time (not just your classic but in all vehicles)? Has anyone tried E85 yet? I’ve heard that the octane is quite a bit higher than regular gas and it doesn’t pollute either. Has anyone had hands-on experience with this?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Premium with a lead additive in the Mustang Fastback, but no experience with E85. Do you know what the octane rating is for E85?

Marshall

GTO Man
    Quote:
    Premium with a lead additive in the Mustang Fastback, but no experience with E85. Do you know what the octane rating is for E85?

Marshall

Ethanol has less energy content than gasoline. However, E85 also has a much higher octane (ranging from 100 to 105) than gasoline. FFVs are not optimized to E85, so they experience a 5% to 15% drop in fuel economy. This will vary based on temperature and driving conditions. For comparison purposes, aggressive driving habits can result in a 20% loss and low tire pressure can reduce mileage by 6%.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

Marshall

Ethanol has less energy content than gasoline. However, E85 also has a much higher octane (ranging from 100 to 105) than gasoline. FFVs are not optimized to E85, so they experience a 5% to 15% drop in fuel economy. This will vary based on temperature and driving conditions. For comparison purposes, aggressive driving habits can result in a 20% loss and low tire pressure can reduce mileage by 6%.

I can’t remember the exact number but I want to say it was like 150 octane. Ethanol compresses much more before it ignites, which is what gives it the bang for the buck in terms of increased octane

hpdog259962
    Participant

Regular. REGULAR Regular if I can find it. (w/ Lead)

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.