Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Does AWD really make a difference?

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

I have not had an AWD car. What are the advantages and disadvantages, if any?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

From what I know : more noise, more fuel consumption, more weight…
    BUT : much more active security (safety), much more control on any type of surface.
    My uncle had an Audi with the “Quattro” system years ago, the car was amazingly impressive on mountain roads, wet and snowy surfaces.

If manufacturers tend to make lighter systems with new alloys, this would be the typical interesting option to get on a car.
    Safety, especially active has a price, but how much is worth a life ?

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    From what I know : more noise, more fuel consumption, more weight…
    BUT : much more active security (safety), much more control on any type of surface.
    My uncle had an Audi with the “Quattro” system years ago, the car was amazingly impressive on mountain roads, wet and snowy surfaces.

If manufacturers tend to make lighter systems with new alloys, this would be the typical interesting option to get on a car.
    Safety, especially active has a price, but how much is worth a life ?

And the thing about AWD is its meant to make the car handle better and easier on rough terrian, but who really takes their car driving over some of the stuff they have in the commercials? If you’re driving on road (paved or not), which is aobut 99% of the time, I don’t see how it helps that much – except making it easier if you get in a sticky situation with snow and ice.

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of the appeals of AWD, especially with those that are equipped with a turbo is that you can launch a car at high rpm without worry of spinning the tires. A Subaru WRX can launch at 4200 rpms without missing a beat and still be in boost.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    One of the appeals of AWD, especially with those that are equipped with a turbo is that you can launch a car at high rpm without worry of spinning the tires. A Subaru WRX can launch at 4200 rpms without missing a beat and still be in boost.

Laying some patches…

Anonymous
    Inactive

On my new Dakota I opted for limited-slip instead of AWD (4WD).

I want the extra gas mileage and I don’t
    want the added repairs associated with the AWD.

The limited-slip works great, but I agree AWD would
    have a bigger advantage.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    On my new Dakota I opted for limited-slip instead of AWD (4WD).

I want the extra gas mileage and I don’t
    want the added repairs associated with the AWD.

The limited-slip works great, but I agree AWD would
    have a bigger advantage.

Every mile per gallon counts now with the increasing fuel prices..

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have driven all types of cars: awd, fwd, and rwd. For my money I have always chosen fwd over awd. Why?? What vehicles do you see most often spun out or flipped over on the roads during our Wisconsin winters? AWD! I think they give the drivers a false of security which leads to their higher rate of spin outs, etc. With fwd I like the idea of being pulled thru bad weather and have never spun out in my car. With my rwd vehicles just thinking about fish tailing sometimes leads it to happening Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif No matter how fast the on-board computers are with awd when one of the four wheels loses traction (especially on ice or snow) the car loses it. Their commercials are very misleading as the very heavy, thick, snow they show their cars plowing thru actually helps to maintain the path of the vehicle as the rear tires are running in “ruts” made by the front tires helping to keep the car going straight. Go with the fwd and use the money you saved to put into your classic car, which hopefully never sees a Wisconsin winter!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    I have driven all types of cars: awd, fwd, and rwd. For my money I have always chosen fwd over awd. Why?? What vehicles do you see most often spun out or flipped over on the roads during our Wisconsin winters? AWD! I think they give the drivers a false of security which leads to their higher rate of spin outs, etc. With fwd I like the idea of being pulled thru bad weather and have never spun out in my car. With my rwd vehicles just thinking about fish tailing sometimes leads it to happening Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif No matter how fast the on-board computers are with awd when one of the four wheels loses traction (especially on ice or snow) the car loses it. Their commercials are very misleading as the very heavy, thick, snow they show their cars plowing thru actually helps to maintain the path of the vehicle as the rear tires are running in “ruts” made by the front tires helping to keep the car going straight. Go with the fwd and use the money you saved to put into your classic car, which hopefully never sees a Wisconsin winter!

I’ll add my .03 cents!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I feel just the opposite. I hate Front Wheel Drive!

My FrontWD drive car was a VW Rabbit (maybe that’s the reason!).

In the winter, if the front tires spin on the snow, steering is also lost.
    That happened all the time with the Rabbit. Maybe a larger FrontWD
    car would be better, but I like RearWD.

I agree with the second part of your post to the extent that I’m laughing!!!

I see it happen ALL THE TIME.

The right 2 lanes of the freeway are plowed but the left lane is
    still snow-covered.

Along comes a large SUV blasting through the snow at 70 mph! As long
    as they keep that monster going in a straight line they’re okay!

During the winter many SUV 4-wheel drive vehicles flip or go over the embankment!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Blame your Rabbit for sure!! My first fwd was a Toyota Tercel and did the same thing. Hit the gas and spin the wheels, on snow, gravel, or wet pavement! My current cars are a Camry and Saturn L. Both are larger cars and don’t exhibit the wheel spin unless I really tromp them down. Much better than the Rabbit or Tercel. Size does matter in some things Drogar-BigGrin(LBG).gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Our Wisconsin winters can sure be tough, I agree its better to have anything other than awd here!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.