Welcome Forum Car Shows Economies impact on Car Shows

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

It is pretty obvious that the economy has had a big impact on attendance at car shows this year. Many are at about 2/3 or less of what they had last year. For this weekend it will be interesting to see how Appleton is attended. I believe they draw about 1200 cars.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    circletrack
    Participant

The weekend of July 26 we were going to attend the show in Conover but decided with the high prices of everything to stick closer to home. It’s a shame so much has gone up in price making it impossible to enjoy the simple, little things in life. Heck, just going to the grocery store costs a fortune! crybaby2.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have cut back on the number of shows that I have attended/will attend this year. I just don’t have the money for a second tank of high test or the cost of a second car show lunch on one weekend. I have had to pick and choose each weekend and I have been pre-registering just to save a couple of bucks at the shows I do attend. The cost of gasoline and the slumping economy has forced me to make some changes.

Marshall

Eclipse_Tuner
    Participant

same here, I used to attend 2 shows each weekend, but this year its one per weekend, or one every other weekend. It really sucks because there are a lot of good shows going on.

Perhaps we are at a tipping point in American car culture…

As for July 26th…House of Horsepower Show!!! icon_headbang.gif

moparkid25
    Participant
    Quote:
    As for July 26th…House of Horsepower Show!!! icon_vomit1.gif

I personally wouldn’t waste my time giving these clowns my money or the time of day.

I also have cut back on a lot of shows. When I first got into showing, I went to every one I could fit in, every cruise night, etc. But like all things, I started to get burnt out. I still enjoy the hobby, but have cut back on what I do. The cost of fuel has played a part this year. I also have found that I like to get other things done on the weekends along with be lazy. Owning your own small business along with working full-time cuts into your free time also.

Blanchardville was the first noticeable show I’ve been to this year that was down in attendance. I think it’s a trend and Eclipse may be right, the events in the world today may be a tipping point for the car hobby. I certainly hope not, but I also hoped gas would never be $2 a gallon.

Amigo2k

I would be interested to know if the number of paying show cars and for sale cars at Iola was down. I would assume that show draws folks with cars within a 200 mile radius.

Amigo2k

I was just going to email someone at Iola and I see they just posted this on their website:

7/17/2008 A Great IOLA ’08
    On behalf of the Iola Old Car Show Staff & Board of Directors, we thank all who attended IOLA ’08. We know that with a bit of an uncertain economy (and gas at $4 per gallon) it was a challenge this year – yet we can boast an attendance of 100,000 people for the weekend. We are optimistic for the future and look forward to IOLA ’09 and “Independents & Imports – Alternatives to the Detroit Three” theme. Check back soon for photos of IOLA ’08. Again, WE THANK YOU!

lordairgtar
    Participant

The local cruise nights and the shows close to the Milwaukee area are doing well. Holz Chevy again had many more cars than they had room for. I think for long distance shows like Iola and Back To The Fifties, those are doing well too. It will be interesting to see what Labor Day weekend holds for us in Fond Du Lac with the WSRA Corn Roast. On top of high fuel prices, it is also coincides with the Harley thing in Milwaukee, so even the cheap motels are charging up to and over $100.00 per night to cash in on the bike crowd (thanx Harley). Anything within a hunnert miles of beer town is going to be booked up and expensive. A 53 buck room is 100 bucks at the super 8. Well, we just make more of an effort to prepare and save for our hobby travels. Big shows will always do well. I think vendors are going to be hurting more.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.