Welcome Forum The Lounge Enterprise Series Finale Thread

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Post your comments, rants, questions, ect about the finale here. I haven’t seen it yet but I’ll post mine when I watch it. 😉

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

OK I watched it and I thought the part with Riker and Troi and the Enterprise-D was great!!! icon_cheesygrin.gif w00t.gif That was awesome getting to see them again, and I liked how it tied into the Pegasus conflict and how Riker was just on the holodeck, rather than involving time travel, which IMO is way overdone. I didn’t really care for the Enterprise part of it, the characters never really developed very far in the series IMO. Also I didn’t like how they didn’t show Archer’s speech at the end.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I honestly felt that they needed to bring back Riker, Troi and Enterprise D just to generate interest in the finale. The episode showed elements that it was a rush job. I feel that if the writers just had a little more time it could make things a little less critical.

I’m hoping that the break will give Berman and his team the opportunity to rethink the writing strategy and approach. The landscape of sci-fi has changed to more competitive ventures. Stargate SG-1, Atlantis and BSG are the front runners with a Star Wars show to join the fun within a year or two. To have the Star Trek franchise in this state of affairs will only lose more followers. Back in Star Trek’s heyday you only had one sci-fi competitor. . . Babylon 5 (I’m sorry we can’t consider Tek War, Final Conflict or Andromada). When Stargate SG-1 came to the scene in 1997, in my eyes that was the beginning of the end for Star Trek.

I digress. . .but I can only hope for better things for Star Trek, after all it was my first love for sci-fi. Those late night reruns of the original series changed me forever. icon_cheesygrin.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I agree, TNG had something that the more recent series seemed to loose more and more. I think that was the depth of the characters. In TNG you really got close to the characters, with Data’s struggle to be human for example. Each of the main cast not only went on adventures exploring the galaxy, the audience got to know them and started to watch the show to see the characters, not for the action or drama. This is important in a series because it really IMO makes it great. The same thing happened with B5, the characters were so real that you just want to watch more about them.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Exactly! In each of the successful series, we had the opportunity to learn of the characters personal lives and demons. We, the audience, had the opportunity to follow and see their development making us feel like a part of their family.

I remember when DS9 was viewed as the weak link in the Star Trek family. As a quick fix, and I guess the time setting has something to do with it, they brought over Worf. O’Brien was there from the beginning but those familiar elements gave an incentive for the audience to watch. Even with Voyager the writers can offer links an elements to TNG, Q is a perfect example.

Maybe it wasn’t a good idea to have a setting before the time of Kirk but it also served as a wakeup call that in order to be successful, you need strong character development and a convincing storyline. You know that hard core Trek fans will ask questions when something happens on Enterprise and how it logically relates to the time of Kirk. The time setting just seemed to open a can of worms.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I remember when DS9 was viewed as the weak link in the Star Trek family. As a quick fix, and I guess the time setting has something to do with it, they brought over Worf. O’Brien was there from the beginning but those familiar elements gave an incentive for the audience to watch. Even with Voyager the writers can offer links an elements to TNG, Q is a perfect example.

Exactly! icon_cheesygrin.gif DS9 had some great storylines (which seem oddly familiar to B5 icon_scratch.gif ) but the characters weren’t developed as much. Their success was based on the story arcs and like you said bringing Worf into the picture. The reason Voyager had such a hard time getting started is they started in the Delta Quadrant, away from everything the fans knew. Granted after awhile we got to know the Voyager crew as well but I still don’t think they have recreated the magic of TNG.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh we can’t deny the hot chick factor. As much as they deny it an attractive female in a sci-fi series serves as a great pick me up. icon_cheesygrin.gif

TNG – I knew people who had the hots for Krusher and Troi

DS9 – Jadzia Dax. Very beautiful with a whitty sense of humor thanks to one of her seven previous lives. Later in the series you had the hot Dabo girl who married Quark’s brother. :wack:

Voyager – Seven of Nine. . . the character was introduced to save sagging ratings. . . and Jeri Ryan had more sex appeal than Jennifer Lien (Okompran sp. girl with 15 year lifespan).

Enterprise – We have T’Pol and her tight fitting Vulcan suits but that’s all we got. They wouldn’t let her hair down.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Yep I agree, they had that factor in the new series to try and revive them and bring up ratings – it doesn’t produce the same effect as good quality characters IMO. TNG hardly did it at all but starting with Rom’s wife especially the trek series turned to that as the solution to their ratings problems. Not their best idea IMO. :wack: :hammer: :horse: icon_vomit1.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

[quote=
    Enterprise – We have T’Pol and her tight fitting Vulcan suits but that’s all we got. They wouldn’t let her hair down.[/quote]

Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t T’Pol involved in showing the chief engineer some Vulcan relaxation techniques which often involved semi or complete nudity on her part? I remember that watching those scenes did nothing to relax me Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

The ending in itself spoke highly of what was wrong with the series: it had no real identity of it’s own. It had to bring in characters from TNG for their finale. It often failed to follow the timeline (or history if you will) that had been set down in the previous series. Aside from that I actually enjoyed the series and the raw side of it’s characters. They were after all the first humans to explore the galaxy and to really go where no man had gone before.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    [quote=
    Enterprise – We have T’Pol and her tight fitting Vulcan suits but that’s all we got. They wouldn’t let her hair down.

Please correct me if I am wrong but wasn’t T’Pol involved in showing the chief engineer some Vulcan relaxation techniques which often involved semi or complete nudity on her part? I remember that watching those scenes did nothing to relax me Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

The ending in itself spoke highly of what was wrong with the series: it had no real identity of it’s own. It had to bring in characters from TNG for their finale. It often failed to follow the timeline (or history if you will) that had been set down in the previous series. Aside from that I actually enjoyed the series and the raw side of it’s characters. They were after all the first humans to explore the galaxy and to really go where no man had gone before.[/quote]
    Yep you’re right, T’pol and Tripp shared a romantic relationship, one I personally think didn’t really seem that real.

I do like how the characters seemed more like us in some of their mannerisms but you make a good point, they had to bring in characters from another series in an attempt to make the finale good. I wish they would have spent more time developing the characters over the last 4 years rather than just wasting it violating the timeline. 😉

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.