Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Ford Changes

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

There is Ford, Lincoln and Mercury. The likely candidate to go is Mercury. They don’t have much of anything going for them.

Ford cars – some good vehicles
    Ford trucks – Ranger going away
    Lincoln – not very distinctive vehicles
    Mercury – what do they have?
    Volvo – boring

What can Ford do, should they drop a division, combine divisions, or sell?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

I dont know that discontinuing the Ranger is a good idea. There are still those who need a truck but don’t need a full size. Mercury brings nothing to the table.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Yeah Mercury is really doing nothing…

Anonymous
    Inactive

It seems that Ford is several years late in fixing their immediate problems.

Right away, I would think that the Mercury and Volvo lines should be sold off.

I would hope that Ford would reconsider contining to produce the Ranger. I would have thought that the Ranger, just like the F-150 trucks, were profitable and would continue to be profitable.

One major problem that Ford suffers from is “perception”. Many of us think “perceive” that quality, value, dependability, and residual value are lacking with Ford vehicles. I am a textbook case of shifting loyalties. I was a Ford guy my whole life, buying and driving nothing by Ford vehicles. As a matter of fact, I purchased three new Ford vehicle within a ten year period. But, the Taurus that I bought was a piece of crap. The Ford Windstar that I bought to replace the Taurus depreciated over 70% in value within three years.

There are now two Toyotas (Camry and Corolla) and one Honda (Pilot) parked in my driveway. Me, my wife, and son and daughter would never ever again consider purchasing any Ford product. We are planning to purchase another vehicle in the Spring and it will be a Toyota Highlander, not a Ford Explorer or Ford Escape.

Marshall

jonmandude
    Participant

I share you feelings Marshall. I was raised a true blue Chevy person. My father was Chevy, Chevy, Chevy. My first 3 cars were Ford (71 Torino) Chevy (63 Impala) and Plymouth (74 Satellite). I grew up on Muscle. When I was in LA I purchased a Nissan Hardbody pickup and that vehicle lasted forever. I got 200,000+ with hardly any maintenance beyond basic. Now I have two Nissans in my Driveway. I still love the muscle cars but they don’t stack up as a vehicle to drive every day.

Time simply passed the Big 3 by. Partly because of us. We hated the attempts made in the 70’s gas crunch. We didn’t fall in love with the Mustang 2 or any the Monte Carlos and Cutlass’ of the late 70’s. We told the big 3 that we hated the gutless power and the smooth lines. We demanded size and they gave it to us. The only profits they got from us was large SUV sales and the return of a muscle car Mustang. When we wanted economy, we all went import. The “buy american” people accepted less quality and the “import” people demanded quality.

They don’t know how to think outside their own boxes.

lordairgtar
    Participant

jonmandude wrote:
    When we wanted economy, we all went import. The “buy american” people accepted less quality and the “import” people demanded quality.

They don’t know how to think outside their own boxes.[/quote]
    But now US quality is on par or better than the imports. My 2007 HHR has had no trouble and the Impala was rated quite high.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.