Welcome Forum The Lounge Free webhosting and email here!!!

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Is anyone going to take me up on that offer of free webhosting and or email? I know Mike is developing his blog now but I don’t think anyone else is using it. Is there any interest? I can do several quick installs for you, including:

A Blog
    A Photo Gallery
    A Forum
    WikiMedia
    ect

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

A generous offer for your members. Not many admins would do that :salut:

circletrack
    Participant

The Road Apples Car Club had a website ~ http://www.roadapples.org but late last summer some idiot decided to infect the website and rather than trying to clean it up we just decided to start fresh. Any suggestions on where I should start? Am I in the right spot?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Any suggestions on where I should start?

Well if your still paying for the hosting the control panel is a good place tyo start. Many host offer auto installtions of forums, photo galleries etc….

circletrack
    Participant

We’re not paying anymore, I decided not to renew. When the virus was detected, the host did nothing to help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well to be blunt that’s really not their job unless the issue arose from the software running the server which is rare. The contents of your site is your responsibility….

Anyhow I looked in the whois dtabase and that domain doesn’t expire for another year, you can transfer it to another host…. no big deal really.

Joan V****
    Registrant Email:jviney@*****

I removed the personal info, she’ll need acess to that email address to transfer it. I’d suggest you look at some of the plans at http://www.aplus.net. They start at $10 per month, that plan will provide more than you will ever need.

They ahve a control panel that you can build an entire site if you want. If you install any of the advanced stuff like this forum you need to keep up with updates, just like windows…. This uses PHP which is a server side scripting language, it’s very powerful and can do a lot of good things…. or wrong things if there’s any vulnerabilities in the script.

circletrack
    Participant
    Quote:
    Well to be blunt that’s really not their job unless the issue arose from the software running the server which is rare. The contents of your site is your responsibility….

See that was the problem. Everyone that I had look at the site to determine how to solve the problem told me it started on the software they were using. Others using the same software complained and nothing was ever done, so I won’t be going that route again. I did everything I could to clean it up, but when the virus isn’t on my software my hands are tied… Correct?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    I did everything I could to clean it up, but when the virus isn’t on my software my hands are tied… Correct?

Yes if it was an issue with the server software than it would be their problem. What was happening? Do you still have backups?

You could just transfer to a new hosting account as I mentioned above. I’ve been using that company above for 3 or 4 years now and haven’t had any problems whatsoever.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I would definitely recommend the host that we have here, Dreamhost. They are $10 per month and have some great stats, PM me and I can send you some details. If you’d like some personal webspace here I’d be glad to give it to you

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would like to do something like that but I couldn’t, because I wouldn’t know what to do

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I would like to do something like that but I couldn’t, because I wouldn’t know what to do

Well all you need is an idea, and its pretty easy to develop the rest. I can install several things for you on your space, like a blog and a program to manage your pages without looking at code, or a photo gallery or wikimedia. Interested maybe?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.