Welcome Forum Car Shows Good-Guys 2008 August 15 – 17

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Specific Ratings (A-F):
    Arrival/Departure (easy to find, easy to leave?) – B+ Well marked.
    Parking Location – A Variety of good locations
    Class Organization – NA
    Trophies & Prizes – NA
    Food – B+ Good variety of food.
    Entertainment – B+ Band was good
    Judging – NA
    Dash Plaque – B+ Nice plaque
    Variety of Cars – A Great variety of beautiful cars
    Bathrooms – A plenty
    Weather – A About time.
    Trophy Presentation Timing – NA
    Entry Fee – $65 Considering the cars and everything going on is a good value.
    Overall Rating:B+

I was there on Saturday and had a great time. Many great cars to look at along with good food, and talked with many car people. Weather was perfect.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

Specific Ratings (A-F):
    Arrival/Departure (easy to find, easy to leave?) – I’m from Madison so it was easy to find.

Parking Location – There original plan was to have willow island full of cars, but the island was full of woodchips due to the previous weeks concerts. 60% of the cars parked in the lot.

Food – As noted last year the prices on water, soda and beer was like you are at Disneyland. 3.25 for a bottle of water or soda. 5 to 6 for a beer. No clue on the food, but the Ice Cream Bar guy from Ft. Atkinson was there and was charging a reasonable 2.75 for a giant bar.

Entertainment – They had 3-4 wireless speakers that were on portable towers. Also there was a band too (there was a wireless speaker right behind the stage with the band that was playing a CD while the band was playing.

Variety of Cars – lots and lots of modded out cars. Some were just jaw dropping good.

Bathrooms – They had the island setup for a bunch more cars, but overall I saw plenty of portable ones with no lines.

Weather – Sunny and 82ish, a little hot on the blacktop, and the clouds that came in helped a bit.

Entry Fee – 65 bucks to enter your car. 13 to walk in

Overall Rating:A

I felt like I jumped on a plane and then went to a car show since most of the cars I’ve never seen before.

I would bet this show will continue to grow with more and more cars. I think the only way they will get more foot traffic is to lower the price of admission and lower the price on water. I don’t think it would be hard for a family of 4 to drop 75-100 bucks at this event. Unfortunately this is probably just a pipe dream since the prices at the Good Guys show is fixed for all of their shows. Oh well. It won’t stop me from walking in and enjoying some sweet rides next year! Go Good Guys!

lordairgtar
    Participant

Good Guys! As always, a great national event that we can enjoy here in our little corner of the world, well, besides NSRA of course. As to the prices for food and the entry fee, Good Guys is not a car club, it is a business, and as such, the prices are going to be closer to what you would find at a big sporting event. It costs major money to advertise and hire personnel, DJs, bands, advertise for vendors to come (vendor fee is upwards of $300.) I am surprised the Ice Cream Bar guy kept his prices reasonable, knowing what he had to pay to get the vendor spot. We are so used to having little car shows and clubs putting on events almost every weekend during the warm months, that we get a bit spoiled. Hope you all enjoyed Good guys and had a wonderful time. Some of the national cars and major vendors they get are great to get a chance to see. I had inquired of their vendor fee situation when they were still at Waukesha and I passed. I would have been in the negative. I’ll stick with my little shows with no fees.

circletrack
    Participant

The Good Guys are not responsible for the pricing of the water, beer, soda or parking prices, the Alliant Energy Center is. Many people complained throughout the weekend (I was there all 3 days) about the prices and were told “to take it up with the Alliant Energy Center as they set the pricing”…. I had an issue on Friday with parking and carry-ins, there seemed to be some confusion on who was in charge. I don’t know who sets the gate fees but have a feeling the Alliant Center has their fingers in that pot also.

As for the food prices, I don’t think they had anything to do with that. I have a feeling the vendors set the prices themselves and just paid a hefty price for the spot. Kent’s Big Bar went over very well this weekend, that guy and his wife are very friendly people!

I had a great time and won’t bother to rate the show as I’ve voiced my opinions already. The variety of cars was just amazing, so many I’ve never seen before and more than likely won’t see again anytime soon. Everything was well marked and set up very well, the host club did a good job of keeping everything under control. The weather was just about perfect, such a nice weekend. We spent the weekend with our club and many friends we’ve met, some that we don’t see except for the major shows.

I hope everyone had a chance to get out and enjoy the show!

lordairgtar
    Participant

I never thought of the Alliance Center’s pricing policies. You are right in that regard as they have their own vendors I think.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like I missed a great show. dontknow.gif I was cheap and could not see putting out 20.00 for gas 13.00 to get in plus lunch and others. I figured it would be like when World Of Wheels was at the Center. Hardly worth the trip. I guess I’ll have to make it to next yrs if they have it.

moparkid25
    Participant

I took my girlfriend on Saturday afternoon. There was a great display of vehicles, and I saw many friends and customers also. The car corral had some great deals also, like the ’70 challenger for sale from IL.

$3.25 for a soda was out of line, no matter who was in charge of that racket. There were many great vendor displays also, good thing I left my credit card at home thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Specific Ratings (A-F):
    Arrival/Departure (easy to find, easy to leave?) – A, easy being from the area. If I wasn’t, it could be slightly confusing for some since on Sunday they had a Event parking sign flashing up from the actual Alliant entrance.
    Parking Location – B, Lots big, oh well
    Class Organization – No clue
    Trophies & Prizes – A, looked to be a lot of cars in the winners area
    Food – D, Always expensive at Alliant.
    Entertainment – B, no clue who it was, but good music played
    Judging – No clue
    Dash Plaque – No clue
    Variety of Cars – A+
    Bathrooms – B
    Weather – B, Dang hot on the blacktop
    Trophy Presentation Timing – No clue
    Entry Fee – Seemed up there, but for the size and quality of the show I’d say in line.
    Overall Rating:put overall rating here A, great show.

My only complaint, or question was about what does Good Guys look for? I’m a young looking 34, most think I am in my early 20’s. I didn’t dress the car type on Sunday so I looked like a regular lookie-loo. I was at the Good Guys tent and the people there where throwing books, ads, and magazines at all the old guys with car clothes on. I stood there for a few moments, small talked with one lady and she didn’t even offer up anything. I asked a few questions about Good Guys and again, no offer. There was a sign up there but I got the feeling walking away that they didn’t want young bucks around.

I brushed it aside but it still seemed odd to me.

Xman
    Participant

Specific Ratings (A-F):
    Arrival/Departure – B+ Friday was a bear with rush hour traffic
    Parking Location – A+ Many nice spots under the trees in the grass. Power parkers also had some good spots.
    Class Organization – NA
    Trophies & Prizes – Good prizes if your name gets picked.
    Food – B Great breakfast, but I didn’t see anything Greek…lol
    Entertainment – NA I never heard the band, or I was not listening.
    Judging – Weird, couple of Goodguys people in a golf cart. Would just drive around if they liked the car they would slap a sticker on the headlight.
    Dash Plaque – B+ Nice plaque
    Variety of Cars – A huge variety of beautiful cars
    Bathrooms – B the indoor ones in the horse barn were not very clean.
    Weather – A+ Perfect.
    Trophy Presentation Timing – A+ on time and done quickly.
    Entry Fee – $25 I am a member already
    Overall Rating:A

I think Alliant sub-contracts the food and beverage out. Also Alliant is just the name on the front of the building. It is Dane county that runs the place. I’ll also bet Frank productions got there hand in the till too. Five bucks to park is cheap and thirteen bucks to get in to a National event is good also.

The cars will always show up, it is getting to people at the gate is where the money is made. I heard they were happy with the gate. :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great Presentation by Good Guys once again. I attended as a spectator this year and as always was impressed with the quality of the cars and trucks in attendance. When Good Guys was in Waukesha they had some really nice rides show up but I think this show was a bit better than those I attended in Waukesha. I had a really nice time just wandering around the show grounds. Food and Beverages prices were high, but as noted already, Good Guys does not set vendor prices. Nice Car Corral.
    Congratulations to Mickie Christianson for being selected winner of the Mighty Mustang Award.

jonmandude
    Participant
    Quote:
    My only complaint, or question was about what does Good Guys look for? I’m a young looking 34, most think I am in my early 20’s. I didn’t dress the car type on Sunday so I looked like a regular lookie-loo. I was at the Good Guys tent and the people there where throwing books, ads, and magazines at all the old guys with car clothes on. I stood there for a few moments, small talked with one lady and she didn’t even offer up anything. I asked a few questions about Good Guys and again, no offer. There was a sign up there but I got the feeling walking away that they didn’t want young bucks around.

I brushed it aside but it still seemed odd to me.

I became involved with the Good Guys last year doing the show at the Lube. I got the same feeling that the Good Guys really wants to be an exclusive group, only for the older people with lots of money. They originally wanted it to be only about rods years ago, but thru pressure to make the show grow (probably to make more money) they extended the model year acceptance up to 1972. I was barely able to attend last year with a 72 Challenger, if I had a 73 or 74 (same car as 72) I would have been excluded. I do not attend shows that exclude people any more. I will not even attend as a spectator. To me it sends the wrong message to young enthusiasts. It makes them feel just like you did, that they are not really wanted. We all share the same passion for cars, we may have different tastes and different monetary abilities, but the love is the same. Besides, variety is a great thing.

circletrack
    Participant

Big congrats to Chris Nelson and his “Rat Patrol” for winning an award! Chris has worked very hard on his project and it shows. It’s very nice to be rewarded for your hard work, creativity and efforts!

Amigo2k

Sweet! Every couple of weeks I see his truck at shows and every time it has something new on it.

Quote:
    Big congrats to Chris Nelson and his “Rat Patrol” for winning an award! Chris has worked very hard on his project and it shows. It’s very nice to be rewarded for your hard work, creativity and efforts!
    Xman
    Participant
    Quote:

Chris is a true craftsman and is well deserving of every award he receives. thumbsup.gif

GTO Man

I received my Good Guys magazine today. Definitely no mention of the Great Lake Nationals. I am glad I went last year but will not renew my membership.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.