Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions GoodGuys PPG Nationals, Columbus

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

A GoodGuys S.R.A. national award, “Street Machine of the Year” was presented to Barry Blomquist of Onalaska, WI for his ’62 Chevrolet.

Reportedly, there were over 7,000 vehicles registered for this show which was held in Columbus, OH from July 10th through the 12th at the Ohio Expo Center.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

Nice to see a car local to Wisconsin win.
    1331_SMOY%20Winner%20Portrait-web.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is an awesome Corvette. It’s on the cover of this month’s Goodguys Gazette, as well as a nice feature inside. Goodguy’s is also displaying the car in their booth at this years SEMA show. First the Ring brothers, now Blomquist’s vette, who from Wisconsin is next? Marshall????

Amigo2k

2 wins for WI… you would think the would bring the show back to Wisconsin ….

Anonymous
    Inactive

fordasaki wrote:

Quote:
    It is an awesome Corvette. It’s on the cover of this month’s Goodguys Gazette, as well as a nice feature inside. Goodguy’s is also displaying the car in their booth at this years SEMA show. First the Ring brothers, now Blomquist’s vette, who from Wisconsin is next? Marshall????

I’m flattered, but that won’t happen in the near future 😆 😆
    I am happy just to keep my car running, and on the road. The end of the year shows took it’s toll on my car, so I have been wrenching, replacing, and repairing for the past couple of weeks.

I didn’t know if there was a picture of Barry’s car from one of the shows available, so thanks to GTO MAN for posting the picture. It’s nice to be able to see a car along with the owner’s name.

I, too, am lobbying for the GoodGuys Show to come back to Madison.

mdunn6
    Participant

3 wins to wi ( i think ring bros won it 2 yrs ) if i am right ?
    Glad to see such fine work done so close
    My buddy was at show & said it was so AWSOME & detailed, one of the best he seen.
    Wonder what it cost to bld, 100 to 150 ?
    Hope show will come back, i got mad & canceled my subscription!

Xman
    Participant

It is a nice looking car, but it does have Ringish features don’t you think? :unsure:

moparkid25
    Participant

mdunn6 wrote:

Quote:

There were lots of nice cars at this show, but $25 to put a car in is high IMO. As a spectator, I didn’t appreciate having to pay $15 per person to enter the event on top of paying the county $5 to park. Then concessions were out this world with there $$$’s.

If Goodguys does come back, I do hope they sharpen there pencil’s a bit.

circletrack
    Participant

mdunn6 wrote:

Quote:
    3 wins to wi ( i think ring bros won it 2 yrs ) if i am right ?
    Glad to see such fine work done so close
    My buddy was at show & said it was so AWSOME & detailed, one of the best he seen.
    Wonder what it cost to bld, 100 to 150 ?

I’m sure it cost ALL of that to build a car like this….

I also cancelled my subscription to GG, while I enjoy the magazine every month, it’s insulting that such a good event was cancelled before it got a chance. Heck, if Hot Rod can bring thousands of cars into town on a rainy, cold Saturday ~ it would be nice to give Madison another look.

mdunn6
    Participant

It does look a lot like ring bros.The magazine is awsome ( my dad still gets it)
    so i am not totaly out!.But it made me mad as H .He just brought the new one down
    November & the vette is on the cover & artical on it.
    Hope they will come back but it looks like Chicago is going well.
    I have got a lot of good deals on magazines in the mail with LOW subscriptions
    Rates from $ 12:00 to 19 bucks.will drop some & pick up some new ones.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I look forward to receiving the GoodGuys Gazette. I look at it as if it is a monthly car show that will take me all month to get through.

And, it actually does take about a month to check out all the cars from the regional show that happens to be highlighted that month.

I have dropped my subscriptions to a couple of Mustang mags (Mustang Enthusiast and Mustang Times) this year. I have picked up Hemmings Muscle Machines and the GoodGuys Gazette.

Anonymous
    Inactive

By now alot of you know that I am a Great Lakes Division Rodders Rep for Goodguy’s. I am going to try to reason it as I see it. I wrote a letter to Goodguys telling them of much displeasure here in southern Wisconsin with their decision to leave Madison.I was just as upset and dissappointed as alot of you. The Great Lakes Nationals had bounced around for quite a few years, and never really found a permanent home. Well damn, now I gotta drive a couple hours further to get to a Goodguys event. Guess what, that’s why I own my car’s, I like to drive them. As far as the expense label  that I hear over and over, I don’t get it. Goodguys is offering a early bird registration for Joliet for $40.00 for members.” Too much money ” you say, well that includes Fri., Sat. Sun., admission for 2 adults, 2 children and their vehicle, to a national event.I’ve been to many local shows that charge $10 – $12 or more, for 1 day, with some even charging extra for passengers. With your entry fee you also get a event mug,and dash plaque. Goodguys gives away $1000’s of dollars of merchandise at every event throughout the season. Participant names are drawn at each event,all 3 days til all are claimed. Have you seen the Goodguys giveaway cars? Go to the Goodguys website and check out the “Boss Snake” a very special Ford Mustang. As a participant you are automatically entered in a drawing to win one of these cars. Your registration fee for Joliet will also get you and your family several laps around the Chicagoland Speedway, a recently built, state of the art Nascar racetrack. Stay behind the pace truck’s and go. I will guarantee, nothing but smiles. How much is supper on a Friday night for a family of four? Now,four tickets to the movie, popcorn,soda,etc. Now I like car stuff so I’ll take the three days at Joliet.It would be so handy to have a show in Madison,but It’s gone. I’ve heard all the stories, but It was a corporate decision and I like you felt pissed off but moved on. We hooked up with friends from Wisconsin for last month’s Joliet, which was their first time,and they had the time of their lives. Join us next year. Let’s all go down together. In fact two cars from the Madison area were chosen for awards.

moparkid25
    Participant

fordasaki wrote:

Quote:
    By now alot of you know that I am a Great Lakes Division Rodders Rep for Goodguy’s. Yes, I know this. I am going to try to reason it as I see it. I wrote a letter to Goodguys telling them of much displeasure here in southern Wisconsin with their decision to leave Madison.I was just as upset and dissappointed as alot of you. The Great Lakes Nationals had bounced around for quite a few years, and never really found a permanent home. As a Goodguys Rep, did you meet with any of the corporate goons in person and voice the concerns? Well damn, now I gotta drive a couple hours further to get to a Goodguys event. Guess what, that’s why I own my car’s, I like to drive them. As far as the expense label  that I hear over and over, I don’t get it. Goodguys is offering a early bird registration for Joliet for $40.00 for members. Yeah, for the members. But its got to be hard to get new members with such a price tag. Let me remind you the USA is in one hell of a recession, and people are watching there wallets closely…no matter how much $$$ you got in the bank. ” Too much money ” you say, well that includes Fri., Sat. Sun., admission for 2 adults, 2 children and their vehicle, to a national event.I’ve been to many local shows that charge $10 – $12 or more, for 1 day, with some even charging extra for passengers. Automotion in WI Dells draws 1000 cars nowadays, and one can attend that show for two days and spend $15. With your entry fee you also get a event mug,and dash plaque. Most every show you go to gets you a dash plaque, goody bag, door prizes, etc. Goodguys gives away $1000’s of dollars of merchandise at every event throughout the season. For what they charge to get into the event they should! Participant names are drawn at each event,all 3 days til all are claimed. Sounds like the average door prize drawing at shows, some use names, some use raffle tickets. Have you seen the Goodguys giveaway cars? Go to the Goodguys website and check out the “Boss Snake” a very special Ford Mustang. As a participant you are automatically entered in a drawing to win one of these cars. You win it, but still have to pay tax on it. Your registration fee for Joliet will also get you and your family several laps around the Chicagoland Speedway, a recently built, state of the art Nascar racetrack. Stay behind the pace truck’s and go. I will guarantee, nothing but smiles. So, your entry fee more or less buys you bragging rights so you can say you drove your car on the track? I went 150 mph around that track in one of Richard Petty’s cars during the driving experience…that i got for free. I agree, its fun. How much is supper on a Friday night for a family of four? Now,four tickets to the movie, popcorn,soda,etc. How the hell should I know? Now I like car stuff so I’ll take the three days at Joliet. It would be so handy to have a show in Madison, but It’s gone. I’ve heard all the stories, but It was a corporate decision and I like you felt pissed off but moved on. I went one year, the last year, spent an load of cash and an afternoon at the Coluseium. Do the Goodguys know that there are a lot cheaper places in Southern WI to have there event? We hooked up with friends from Wisconsin for last month’s Joliet, which was their first time,and they had the time of their lives. Good for them, but just because they spent $40 for the weekend and enjoyed themselves doesn’t mean others will. Once again, Between the sponsors and the memberships, they can afford to lower the registration fees. I guarantee the attendance would increase. Join us next year. Let’s all go down together. In fact two cars from the Madison area were chosen for awards. Oh, whoopidee freakin doo[/b]

I too attend many car shows throughout the summer. I’ve seen the best and the worst, and I’m usually quite vocal when it comes to both.

I won’t be making the trip to Joliet next year. Price is a factor for me, plain and simple.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

This has gotten out of hand so I’m locking the topic. Please check your PM inboxes

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The topic ‘GoodGuys PPG Nationals, Columbus’ is closed to new replies.