We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip GTO Question

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

I was told the Pontiac 400 in the GTO is actually a bored out Chevy 283. I find that hard to believe.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    montefrazer
    Participant

Well that’s a first. It was a slightly reworked 389 Pontiac and had nothing in common with a Chevy engine. The starter isn’t even on the same side of the block. Chevrolet did have a 400ci version of the small block that started out as 265ci. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Drogar-Thinking(LBG).gif

GTO Man
    Quote:
    Well that’s a first. It was a slightly reworked 389 Pontiac and had nothing in common with a Chevy engine. The starter isn’t even on the same side of the block. Chevrolet did have a 400ci version of the small block that started out as 265ci. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Drogar-Thinking(LBG).gif

That’s what I thought. You wonder where people get their knowledge. I believe the Chevy 402 was a slightly bored 396.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The 402 was a factory .030″ bored 396. GM continued to call it and badge it with 396 emblems up into late 1969.

montefrazer
    Participant

Interesting engine, the 402. Chevy couldn’t quite figure out what to call it in 1970. In the Chevelle it was the SS 396. In the Monte Carlo it was the 400 Turbo-Jet. This is still confused with the 400 Turbo-Fire small block. I’m not sure what it was called in full sized cars and trucks.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.