Welcome Forum Car Shows Has the Economy Affected Your Car Show Plans?

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Did the economy affect your habits as far as car shows this year?

Did you attend less shows than in the past?

Were you not willing to drive as far to a show?

Did you not spend as much money while at the show as you did in the past?

Did you not do as much to your car or cars than you were planning on doing?

Did you attend more cruise-ins than you normally would?

What are your plans for next year, especially if the economy doesn’t improve much?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

-Not really. I personally chose not to attend as many shows this year. With helping Dad on the new house, moving in with DDhemi for a short time while in-between homes, and wanting to do other fun things I chose to cut back on my attendance on both shows and cruise-ins.

-Yes. When I was young and crazy I used to hit up every show I could. Nowadays I cut back to get other things done, but attend the shows I really enjoy like the Dells, Blanchardville, etc.

-No, if its a good one that I enjoy I will drive. I think the farthest I went this year was the Dells, Lancaster, and Dubuque.

-I have an addiction to collecting 1:64 scale cars. Yes, I did cut back on these, and I also cut back on food/drinks and started to pack lunches and bring my small cooler with me.

-Only had a few things for the Camaro to fix, but I bought that car with the intention to have a lil fun then sell it.

Did you attend more cruise-ins than you normally would?-I attended new cruise-ins this year in Monroe. A good time and they have it every saturday in July. Didn’t get to see my fellow RoadApples much this year, but working full time and starting your own business will do that.

What are your plans for next year, especially if the economy doesn’t improve much?

-I’m looking to get another car for the summer. I’m not sure I’ll attend many more shows than I did this year, but I would like to attend more cruise-ins. I’ve won my trophys, and I’ve one awards I’ve worked hard for. I’m more interested in being able to drive and enjoy a really, really nice looking car that’s fast!

lordairgtar
    Participant
    Quote:

No, in fact I attended more shows this year than in years past

Quote:

See above.

Quote:

Living southwest of Milwaukee, I drove to Fond Du Lac and the upper peninsula.

Quote:

Money spent was the same, bought model cars at car shows and motel rentals when warranted.

Quote:

Car is new, not much to do to it.

Quote:

Yes, because I felt better than last year

Quote:

More more more more, oh…and did I say more? blob8.gif

Amigo2k

A bit, I almost always packed a lunch.

About 50% less this year then last year, which I had planned on as my interests are moving toward other things.

not really issue for me, since I get 35 MPG on the highway. The longest trip was 600 miles in 5 days (iola)

yes less on food and drinks due to my packed lunch

My planning and purchases typically happen over the winter, and I have plans for other new things for my car for next year that I’m still planning on doing them.

Fewer. Probably down 75% from last year. I made it to QSL 3 times and unfortunately didn’t drive to the East Side for their shows.

Probably fewer shows, and more around town cruises.

GTO Man

Not really this year.

I didn’t go to as many shows as I did in the past. Just eliminating some the the shows that were disappointing from previous years.

The distance didn’t come into play.

I believe I did. The organizers count on people buying food and beverages at the shows.

Actually more.

Probably less cruise-ins since the weather didn’t cooperate.

I sold my black ’68 GTO. It was a great car but with the economy the way it is it was a smart thing to do. Still have the Judge and T-Bird. The black ’68 will be roaming the streets of Atlanta.

Anonymous
    Inactive

GTO Man,

With the economy being the way it is, did your Pontiac GTO bring less money that it would have brought last year or the year before, or more?

In my experience, it seems to be a buyer’s market.

Marshall

GTO Man

Marshall

It is a buyer’s market. I had many dealers interested in my car. Then they would just re-sell at a higher price if they would of bought it. I sold it for a little less than I could of last year, but those are the conditions right now. I don’t see conditions getting any better in the near future. I think the economy is going to get allot worse. I think we have seen the tip of the iceberg as far as job layoffs.

Nick

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am having very similiar experiences in selling the Mustang. The last serious looker that I had, although he didn’t directly say so, indicated that he would advertise/list/resale the car for much more than I was asking for.

In my case, the Mustang sits covered/winterized in the garage and will probably stay there for awhile.

Marshall

circletrack
    Participant
    Quote:
    I am having very similiar experiences in selling the Mustang. The last serious looker that I had, although he didn’t directly say so, indicated that he would advertise/list/resale the car for much more than I was asking for.

In my case, the Mustang sits covered/winterized in the garage and will probably stay there for awhile.

Marshall

And to me that’s insulting… We all put so much time and energy into our cars it’s frustrating to have someone buy it just to resell for a couple grand more. I’ll never forget a few years back Steve had a 68 Nova he’d restored. We had it at Jefferson with some outrageous price on it. We got an offer we couldn’t refuse and Steve let the guy know he did the work himself. I don’t think it was 2 weeks later it was advertised on carsonline for sale… Never again.

moparkid25
    Participant
    Quote:
    And to me that’s insulting… We all put so much time and energy into our cars it’s frustrating to have someone buy it just to resell for a couple grand more. I’ll never forget a few years back Steve had a 68 Nova he’d restored. We had it at Jefferson with some outrageous price on it. We got an offer we couldn’t refuse and Steve let the guy know he did the work himself. I don’t think it was 2 weeks later it was advertised on carsonline for sale… Never again.

Ya know, I’ve been known to this a time or two…..

GTO Man

With the way jobs are being lost they may be able to schedule car shows any day of the week.

GTO Man

It will be very interesting to see how things are at next year’s car show season. I think you may see more spectators and many of those spectators will be people who used to have a car at the shows. Many of the shows themselves fund charitable organizations. Obviously charities are hurting now and that will continue as long as the economy is down.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.