Welcome Forum The Lounge If you missed season 1 of Battlestar Galactica (spoilers)

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

In case anyone here missed season 1 of Battlestar Galactica (BSG) I’d like to provide a basic summary so that you can start watching in Season 2 if you’re interested, its a really great show full of lots of different elements that make it feel fresh and new.

BSG Season 1:

Summary:
    After the Cylons (androids that we created turned against us – some look human) genocidal attack on the 12 Colonies, a rag-tag fugitive fleet under the aegis of the Battlestar Galactica tackles the problems inherent of their evasive flight from their murderers.

Cast/Characters:
    * Edward James Olmos as Commander William Adama:
    200px-Bsg-adama-1.jpg

* Mary McDonnell as President Laura Roslin:
    200px-Bsg-roslin-1.jpg

* Katee Sackhoff as Lieutenant Kara “Starbuck” Thrace:
    200px-Bsg-starbuck-1.jpg

* Jamie Bamber as Captain Lee “Apollo” Adama:
    200px-Bsg-lee-1.jpg

* Jame Callis as Doctor Gaius Baltar:
    180px-Bsg-baltar-1.jpg

* Tricia Helfer as Number Six:
    180px-Bsg-six-1.jpg

* Grace Park as Sharon “Boomer” Valerii:
    200px-Bsg-valerii-2.jpg

* Tahmoh Penikett as Lieutenat Karl “Helo” Agathon:
    200px-Bsg-helo-1.jpg

Main Plot Points:
    # There are Cylon infiltrators in the Fleet. These infiltrators may or may not know their true Cylon natures.
    # Laura Roslin is treating her cancer using Chamalla Extract, the result of which are hallucinations that seem to fit with the writings of the oracle Pythia.
    # The issues surrounding the death of Zak Adama still remain a point of contention between Lee Adama and his father, William Adama.
    # Gaius Baltar has been commissioned to create a Cylon detector.
    # The Galactica must tackle issues dealing with basic ship and human requirements, including but not limited to water (Water) and the fuel tylium (The Hand of God).
    # The Colonials’ religious beliefs are polytheistic whereas the Cylons religious beliefs are monotheistic in nature.
    # Lt. Sharon Valerii (Boomer) begins questioning her existence and whether or not she may be a Cylon.

At the end of season 1 Commander Adama is shot by Boomer, who recently learned she was a cylon. The President is in jail as well as Lee for mutiny against Adama. A landing team is stranded on Kobol and Starbuck is back on Caprica trying to recover an artifact that the president believes will help them find Earth.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Ok thanks :)

I got really turned off by the first miniseries that was shown on NBC. Horrible stuff. But apparently the full series got the kinks worked out.

My sister got hooked on it and filled me in (I don’t have cable or the dvd set). She said the cylons became human form?????? Thats hard to believe since they were like c3po in the original series but at least it makes for an interesting plot point. ANd the old computers aren’t affected by the enemy??? She said something about them infilitrating the new tech and the old tech was isolated????? Weird but interesting.

Kevin

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

The old series is quite a bit different from the new one. Yes, there are 12 models of cylons that now look and feel human. One is Boomer and another is Six. Also they tech on the galactica is old enough (like wired telephones) that the cylons can’t affect it, but they did take down the defences on Caprica and the other 11 colonies when they attacked and destroyed them.

If anyone else has other info to add please do it!

Anonymous
    Inactive

When I first heard that Battlestar Galatica was being remade I was very excited! I counted down the months to the premier and was ready to be caught up in a new scifi series. Boy, was I disapointed! icon_sad.gif I have watched about 75% of the first year and just can’t get into it at all. To much gratuitous sex (normally I don’t mind but when it really doesn’t fit into the plot or is just put there for effect I get turned off instead). The way the ships fly in space is totally beyond belief in my opinion. They remind me of when I was a child making my toy airplanes do impossible manuvers by whipping my hand around while holding on to them. It looks so fake. Making the Cylons human, and being able to mate with us (ie: sex and more sex) while expanding story lines, just doesn’t make me want to watch the series. Lastly, having the two lead characters be female, and not male, doesn’t work for me either. Maybe it is how they portray their characters and different actresses would work better. Yes, I know this is a new BG and things had to be different if they weren’t going to follow the original series but did they have to go so far overboard to do it?
    I wasn’t expecting a remake of the original BG, but I also wasn’t expecting something that more closely resembles a bad daytime soap opera than a scifi series. Sort of like how Star Trek Enterprise took far to may liberties with the series and lost that connection to the entire series. Unfortunatle they also lost me as a viewer.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Quote:
    To much gratuitous sex (normally I don’t mind but when it really doesn’t fit into the plot or is just put there for effect I get turned off instead)

Sort of like how Star Trek Enterprise took far to may liberties with the series and lost that connection to the entire series. Unfortunatle they also lost me as a viewer

Ditto. That’s the problem these days. They seem to think if its not on par with Jerry Springer they can’t get viewers.

Kevin

EDIT – post #100!!! :D :D

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Although Adama is a lead character, is he not? I think the actor that plays him has done an excellent job on the series – his composure and conviction are very well portrayed. I know I wasn’t into it at first, I tried watching the miniseries and it just didn’t appeal to me. After that I started watching the series a little and like Opeler said it is darker than a lot of other scifi.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Although Adama is a lead character, is he not? I think the actor that plays him has done an excellent job on the series – his composure and conviction are very well portrayed. I know I wasn’t into it at first, I tried watching the miniseries and it just didn’t appeal to me. After that I started watching the series a little and like Opeler said it is darker than a lot of other scifi.

I guess Adama is a lead character and Boomer isn’t, I was thinking of the original series when I wrote that.
    The darkness of the series I can handle, it is the rest that doesn’t fit for me. Imagine Star Wars with Princess Leia being nude in each episode just for nudity sake, or Hans Solo humping a different alien on a regular basis. We would all view the episodes differently. Star Wars Episode 3 was very dark and very enjoyable to me. It followed the storylines before it and pulled everything together. BG seems to disjointed to me and to unbelievable. Scifi is not reality but should be believable to the reader or viewer. Otherwise call it fantasy and the characters can do anything the writer wants them to. Additionally, I don’t care for current reality being injected into storylines. If I want that I will watch Law and Order, which feels free to get some of their plots from headlines.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I haven’t seen the original series, so I didn’t catch that reference with Boomer. I see what you’re saying, they are probably using the “fanasty” elements in the series to try to entice viewers that normally wouldn’t watch scifi to watch their show.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    I haven’t seen the original series, so I didn’t catch that reference with Boomer. I see what you’re saying, they are probably using the “fanasty” elements in the series to try to entice viewers that normally wouldn’t watch scifi to watch their show.

In the original series Boomer and Starbuck were best male friends. Starbuck was the womaniser and Boomer was the more straight and narrow buddy. Most of the shows focused on either one or both of them in their storylines. So when the new show comes along and Boomer and Starbuck are now women and not the main leads I knew we were in for something not following the original. The “new” Starbuck is a bit like the old without the humerous side to her, or at least as much as the “male” Starbuck.

I must be getting old (46). Years ago the wanton sex would have thrilled me and now I want more meat and less appetizers with my shows. Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif Gads, I’m turning into my parents! Drogar-BigGrin(LBG).gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

In the original series Boomer and Starbuck were best male friends. Starbuck was the womaniser and Boomer was the more straight and narrow buddy. Most of the shows focused on either one or both of them in their storylines. So when the new show comes along and Boomer and Starbuck are now women and not the main leads I knew we were in for something not following the original. The “new” Starbuck is a bit like the old without the humerous side to her, or at least as much as the “male” Starbuck.

I must be getting old (46). Years ago the wanton sex would have thrilled me and now I want more meat and less appetizers with my shows. Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif Gads, I’m turning into my parents! Drogar-BigGrin(LBG).gif

I understand what you’re saying, look at Babylon 5 for example. That show was 100% story, no “appetizers” as you called it. It was all about the characters, and the changes they went through like Londo’s ascention to Emperor and Garibaldi’s battle with Bester and alchoholism. It was a show pure in form IMO, not one thing was done that didn’t affect the story.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Amen! thumbsup.gif

A little appetizer is nice but to much spoils the main course!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Have you watched B5?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Have you watched B5?

I have caught maybe a half dozen shows. It is, was, really hard to find on TV im Milwaukee, it never kept the same time slot. The ones I did catch I liked but found it to hard to figure out when it would be shown again.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Have you watched B5?

I have caught maybe a half dozen shows. It is, was, really hard to find on TV im Milwaukee, it never kept the same time slot. The ones I did catch I liked but found it to hard to figure out when it would be shown again.

Making a pretty bold statement there eh? :haha:

I would highly recommend the dvd box sets if you want to watch the series in full. You can usually find them pretty cheap on half.com

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Have you watched B5?

I would highly recommend the dvd box sets if you want to watch the series in full. You can usually find them pretty cheap on half.com

I am normally not a bold person by nature. I did something when posting my response that activated the bold function tho I don’t know what I did icon_eek.gif , but I am glad you were impressed! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Have you watched B5?

I am normally not a bold person by nature. I did something when posting my response that activated the bold function tho I don’t know what I did icon_eek.gif , but I am glad you were impressed! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

You probably put the [ ] tags like that with a b inbetween.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.