Welcome Forum The Lounge Inconsistencies in Star Trek

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Although Star Trek is a great show what are some of the inconsistencies you’ve found in the episodes? For example the rule is supposed to be that you can’t use a transporter with the shields up, but on a couple of occasions this rule has been violated. What are some you’ve found?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Where to begin???? :D :D :D :D

Lets see here – NO SOUND IN SPACE. They even used SOUND as a weapon in the original series.

TNG Communicator – you don’t have to hit it to activate it but they usually do. But they talk just before and after using it so you don’t know if the other person is still receiving the transmission. (and they don’t always end a conversation with “OUT” as a verbal command to deactivate, so how would the comm unit know when to turn off????)

Data and Contractions – It was a rampant problem in the first season. Watch some of them like the first Dixon Hill episode and I believe he freely uses contractions. A few other examples exist.

THE BORG – In TNG you could be saved and FULLY restored to humanity through microsurgery (yet in VOYAGER Seven of Nine has to leave some implants in – what did Starfleet lose ten years of medical science??). Yet in FIRST CONTACT they go – oh no you can’t save them no (plus where did those borg nanotube things come from???? they did it manually on in the tv series).

THE BORG PART 2 – Also the idea that they were all interconnected. Well they blew that idea out of the water. When HUGH went back with individuality it turns out it only affected HIS ship. Or perhaps one other ship. What about this great network of theirs???? Do they have an immediate cut off switch??? Is it like a router and a firewall that seperates them from the rest of the collective when glitches are detected???? No explanations on that front. So when First Contact came around where did the BORG come from????? Without this other knowledge ALL BORG EVERYWHERE should have been walking around as individuals. Of Course that doesn’t make a for a very good enemy now does it????

THere are tons more too….

BUT its still very consistent within itself and an entertaining program based loosely on real science.

Kevin

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    THE BORG – In TNG you could be saved and FULLY restored to humanity through microsurgery (yet in VOYAGER Seven of Nine has to leave some implants in – what did Starfleet lose ten years of medical science??). Yet in FIRST CONTACT they go – oh no you can’t save them no (plus where did those borg nanotube things come from???? they did it manually on in the tv series).

One thing about this, Picard had only been a borg for a little while, where as 7 had been one for most of her life. That could have made a difference in how integrated the components were in her body, and this they couldn’t remove them as well as with Picard.

Great job Yoda! thumbsup.gif wave.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Wait a minute – wouldn’t it be the same for seven???? She was born human and was up to age 7 or so. I would imagine the surgury would be the same.

Anyway…….

Kevin

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hi,

Wait a minute – wouldn’t it be the same for seven???? She was born human and was up to age 7 or so. I would imagine the surgury would be the same.

Anyway…….

Kevin

Kevin,

Maybe the borg implants became more of an integral part of her person, remember she developed from a 7 year old into a fully grown woman – as a borg. With Picard he was just the same age, already fully grown, and he only had the implants for a short time. Just an idea..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Hmm….. I still say it was a convenient plot switch for FIRST CONTACT.

Kevin

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hi,

Hmm….. I still say it was a convenient plot switch for FIRST CONTACT.

Kevin

I agree, why would the borg all of a sudden start using those nanobots if they are so much more efficient at assimilating people?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here’s an odd thing I noticed….

No one EVER goes to the bathroom in the future?

icon_scratch.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Here’s an odd thing I noticed….

No one EVER goes to the bathroom in the future?

icon_scratch.gif

And what do the alien facilities look like? Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

In the original Star Trek there is a story line where the transporter separates Kirk into a good Kirk and an evil Kirk. Early on the two Kirks have a fight (or is a woman involved, I don’t quite remember) and the evil Kirk gets a large scratch on his face. During the show the scratch switches from one side of his face to the other and then back again. Very surprised that makeup or Shatner didn’t catch that.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:

Kevin

OK, seeing as no one else has mentioned it I will: at least with Seven of Nine they kept in the two implants that really mattered the most for ratings! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Quote:

Kevin

OK, seeing as no one else has mentioned it I will: at least with Seven of Nine they kept in the two implants that really mattered the most for ratings! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Hi,

:D :D :D :D :D

Gotcha :)

Kevin

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Quote:

Kevin

w00t.gif

And in enterprise, T’Pol shared some of Seven’s exact ..ummm …physical attributes icon_rolleyes.gif

THeir motto: “Big boobs gets ’em in front of their tubes” icon_cheesygrin.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:
    Quote:

Kevin

w00t.gif

And in enterprise, T’Pol shared some of Seven’s exact ..ummm …physical attributes icon_rolleyes.gif

THeir motto: “Big boobs gets ’em in front of their tubes” icon_cheesygrin.gif

And that attitude killed Star Trek, at least for now. icon_sad.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi,

Quote:

Well that was part of it. But also ignoring and blatanly altering history at their whim hurt ENTERPRISE. In addition to not developing the characters well enough.

Kevin

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hi,

Quote:

Well that was part of it. But also ignoring and blatanly altering history at their whim hurt ENTERPRISE. In addition to not developing the characters well enough.

Kevin

Yep you’re right, those also were major contributing factors. Its really too bad that their ignorance cost them (and us) so dearly.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.