Welcome Forum Car Shows Judging or no Judging at shows?

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

What type of show do you prefer? We have a wide variety of car shows coming up this season, both judged and not judged. What do you prefer, a show with judging or without? Both have advantages and disadvantages. Judging seems to draw a large crowd – for instance the popular Klassarama show did not have judging this last year – and had a much smaller turn out. Where do you stand?

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    montefrazer
    Participant

I’ll probably start a lively discussion but, as someone who has judged both types of shows, here’s my opinion. If it’s a single make National or local club meet and show I think there should be judging for those who want it. Kind of a yard stick of where you are compared to where you want to go. At a general car show, no. No one can keep track of what is correct for all the different cars that show up, so it becomes a beauty pagent.

hpdog259962
    Participant

Looking at it from a person running a show, judging, it is what brings people in with their car, which will bring more people in.

Personally, I don’t mind either way

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

That’s an interesting take on this Steve. So you want to have judging at shows where the turnout is narrow enough so that the judges have intimate knowledge of the vehicles and will be judging them on their real integrity instead of overall looks? Do you think many local shows have judging just because it draws a crowd?

GTO Man
    Quote:
    I’ll probably start a lively discussion but, as someone who has judged both types of shows, here’s my opinion. If it’s a single make National or local club meet and show I think there should be judging for those who want it. Kind of a yard stick of where you are compared to where you want to go. At a general car show, no. No one can keep track of what is correct for all the different cars that show up, so it becomes a beauty pagent.

You make some good points. At some of the shows its not so much how good the car is but if the car owner knows the judges. It always makes it more interesting when the show is judged. You always have a chance of winning something, even if it is remote. But I agree you get a much better assessment of your car at a single make show or a show that has many cars in each class. One complaint I have heard at many shows is about letting cars in classes they shouldn’t be in.

montefrazer
    Participant
    Quote:
    That’s an interesting take on this Steve. So you want to have judging at shows where the turnout is narrow enough so that the judges have intimate knowledge of the vehicles and will be judging them on their real integrity instead of overall looks? Do you think many local shows have judging just because it draws a crowd?

Yes. I think judging should be used to allow people to find out what is correct and not correct on their car by a judge that knows what he is looking at. Many local shows get people to come, and stay, because they want another trophy to add to the collection. They get mad if they don’t win one. After the trophys are handed out there is a mass exodus.

Quote:
    Quote:

You make some good points. At some of the shows its not so much how good the car is but if the car owner knows the judges. It always makes it more interesting when the show is judged. You always have a chance of winning something, even if it is remote. But I agree you get a much better assessment of your car at a single make show or a show that has many cars in each class. One complaint I have heard at many shows is about letting cars in classes they shouldn’t be in.

People are always trying to enter a class they think they can win. “There are only two cars in the ORIGINAL class, I’l sign up for that and be sure to win a trophy. They won’t notice my 22 inch wheels or flamed paint job.” It’s been a problem at every show I’ve been a judge.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I have consistently noticed this as well at shows this last year – the people at the shows don’t enforce and can’t even assign the right categories for the cars. If they can’t figure out the category system how are they going to judge them? dontknow.gif

GTO Man

I like the way automotion put a sticker on the windows of the cars that won an award. That way at least you knew it was worth sticking around for the awards.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Yeah that was a nice feature

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.