We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Lounge Looking to donate my car show trophies/plaques

• Creator
    Topic
    moparkid25
    Participant

Just like the title says. Amigo mentioned to me awhile ago that the AMC collector who puts on a show in June is always looking for awards to reuse, not sure if he’s a member on the site or not? I have both trophies and plaques to donate.

Its always nice to have your vehicle acknowledged, and there’s a few I’m keeping that have some meaning behind them. This year I scored some really cool, out of the box awards like the one from the Road Apples show, Lancaster, and of course Pardeeville. When I was younger, I was very competitive about every detail, and very judgemental towards the competition. Maybe its my metabolism slowing down, or some other unknown chemical imbalance, but I guess winning awards isn’t the reason I have cool cars. I’m also not going to devote a room in my house to car show trophies… I don’t feel right about simply throwing them in the trash, and feel they could be put to use again. If anyone is interested, contact me here and you can have them all. There are approximately 45 trophies and 10-15 plaques.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    jonmandude
    Participant

I had a discussion a couple years back about car shows and trophies.

When you get your first car nice enough to show, you are just happy to be included and to feel accepted. That is enough and the joy is being at the show, being part of the show, and seeing the other cars. You enjoy yourself and you don’t care about trophies.

Then you get your first one. It is exciting and you feel proud. Eventually you get another, then another. You start to really work on your car. You do things with the hope of winning a trophy. You go to shows where you think you have the best chance of winning. It starts to become more important than simply enjoying being part of it all and enjoying your car and the other cars.

Now it becomes it’s own monster. You start to care only about that damn piece of plastic. Cleaning and improving your car, then going to the show has one purpose….winning a trophy. You become critical of others. “why did he win and not me?” or “My car is better” or the ever popular “the judges are stupid”. You get disappointed with shows that you don’t win. You don’t feel pride when you do win, you just have an arrogant “I expected to win” attitude. You don’t enjoy it any more.

Then eventually you realize that it isn’t fun any more. You stop going to shows. You wash your car less. A friend says “we’re going to the show this weekend. Wanna come?” You figure, eh it’s been a while, and I used to enjoy it…why not?

So you give her a good detail. You realize how much you enjoy looking at her when she is well detailed. You go to the show with no expectations. You just want to hang out with friends and look at some cool cars. You see people you haven’t seen in a while.

It is then you realize that the trophies don’t matter. It is all about your enjoyment in the hobby and the friendships.

I think we all go thru those steps.

moparkid25
    Participant
    jonmandude wrote:
    I had a discussion a couple years back about car shows and trophies.

When you get your first car nice enough to show, you are just happy to be included and to feel accepted. That is enough and the joy is being at the show, being part of the show, and seeing the other cars. You enjoy yourself and you don’t care about trophies.

Then you get your first one. It is exciting and you feel proud. Eventually you get another, then another. You start to really work on your car. You do things with the hope of winning a trophy. You go to shows where you think you have the best chance of winning. It starts to become more important than simply enjoying being part of it all and enjoying your car and the other cars.

Now it becomes it’s own monster. You start to care only about that damn piece of plastic. Cleaning and improving your car, then going to the show has one purpose….winning a trophy. You become critical of others. “why did he win and not me?” or “My car is better” or the ever popular “the judges are stupid”. You get disappointed with shows that you don’t win. You don’t feel pride when you do win, you just have an arrogant “I expected to win” attitude. You don’t enjoy it any more.

Then eventually you realize that it isn’t fun any more. You stop going to shows. You wash your car less. A friend says “we’re going to the show this weekend. Wanna come?” You figure, eh it’s been a while, and I used to enjoy it…why not?

So you give her a good detail. You realize how much you enjoy looking at her when she is well detailed. You go to the show with no expectations. You just want to hang out with friends and look at some cool cars. You see people you haven’t seen in a while.

It is then you realize that the trophies don’t matter. It is all about your enjoyment in the hobby and the friendships.

I think we all go thru those steps.

This is 100% spot on.

In other news, I did find a group of drag racing enthusiasts that are having a track day in a couple weeks, and I am donating my awards to them for there event.

jonmandude
    Participant

I have a few too if they want them

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.