Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Modified vs stock

• Creator
    Topic
    jonmandude
    Participant

I am interested in y’alls opinion on this one as I have seen a LOT of variation on what is considered either

To me “stock” is just that..stock with no variation from what was originally on the vehicle from the factory. It has the original body shape, the original performance and original appearance.

“Modified” to me means that the vehicle has been modified to appear or perform drastically different from original factory.
    Most shows have a rule of “three or more modification”

This seems like a good enough rule, but what classifies as a “modification”?

A suspension must be altered from stock. That means it handles, or has a different stance, from original. That is pretty easy to tell. The vehicle will appear to have a different ride height from stock…air bags, lowering springs, or increased ride height.

A engine must be modified to perform very differently than stock. The obvious would be forced induction (supercharged or turbo) or an engine swap. At the very least the engine has been opened up to install different internal parts (cam, pistons). On older, carberated, cars an intake change (2 to 4 bbl, dual 4bbl, 6 pack) to something that was not factory installed.

I do not consider a cold air intake or an exhaust modifications. Yes they can alter performance but not drastically. To me this is no different than putting on a K&N filter or a different muffler. It may be a change, but it is still (in my eyes) basically stock

Altering the appearance drastically as a modification……decals, simple paint, wheels, tires, a small spoiler or hood scoop (to me) is not a modification. Too many people put on vinyl stripes or paint the spoiler a different color and call it a modification. Window tint is not a modification.

I have seen too many cars lately enter “modified” classes because they painted part of their engine, put on some rims, and put on a cold air intake and think “I did 3 modifications, so I am modified” while the car looks, performs and basically IS stock. They do it because the “stock” class is a big class while the “modified” class is smaller.

What do y’all think? I would like to hear your opinions

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    jonmandude
    Participant

And while thinking about it

The “3 or more” rule has exclusions

A huge blower or twin turbo setup
    a big block in a small compact car
    cutting the roof off
    “Lambo” doors
    tubbed rear ends
    air bags
    body parts that do not belong
    (GTO front nose on a Tempest for example)

To me DRAMATIC changes would bypass the “3 or more” rule

moparkid25
    Participant

Lots of gray areas here….

Obviously modified means something that is not original. Some shows have a minor mod and a major mod class, keeps the stoplight champions from having to compete against a pro street car that’s never made a pass down the track.

Stock to some people is only stock appearing. You may have a camshaft with more lump than a camels back, but if its under a stock intake and the heads have stock valve covers, it is considered stock. Others compete in a stock class, and get mad when others show up running radial tires, not bias plys. The purests mostly, but how often do we see this at our local shows? I mean, really, if someone is driving their Chevelle, Charger, or Mustang I don’t blame them for having radials. I’ve never looked at tires on a car and said, “That’s not stock.” After all, we don’t all attend Bloomington Gold every weekend (though there are a few of you that act like it :whistle: )

I myself agree with the 3 mod rule for stock classes, especially if they are period correct mods. Example: a guy shows up driving a ’69 Roadrunner, and he’s got a barefoot gas pedal installed, and his factory 14″ wheels have been replaced with a set of Cragars. Air shocks on the rear pumped way up. No engine or chassis mods. I’m ok with that.

What I am not ok with is when someone has a modded car and goes in a stock class. Whether it be ignorance on the owners parts, or lack of knowledge on the show staff, people gotta know what is right. Sure, I could pop my hood mount off and go in a stock class, but I guess I’m not vain. My car is modified, thats the class I go in. I think a lot of it also goes back to those who decide what their car is based on the competition. And this goes back to the show staff having to be knowledgeable. Also, if shows know something like this happens, some shows need to grow a pair and say, “Dude, this car is modified, you should be placed in the modified class.” This will be met with acceptance, or anger.

Some shows do not do a good job of specifing classes either, which also leads to confusion.

I could go on forever on this topic, but I’m tired and its time to go get some A&W. Always a good topic of conversation though!!

jonmandude
    Participant

I am becoming increasingly irritated by this subject as of late.

Today at Mopars on the Mississippi I was in the “Modified LX” class. Correct class for me. I did not place. The cars that won…..
    3rd – a 2015 with lowering springs, rims and aftermarket brake rotors. Everything else is bone stock. Everything. Even the guy parking us asked “why is that car in this class?” And shook his head. But by the “3 mods” rule….
    2nd place – a filthy, and I mean probably never cleaned under the hood filthy, 2010 with cheap ABS rear window louvers and a shaker hood and hood pins. Nothing else. Driveline, bone stock. Paint, bone stock. Suspension, bone stock.
    1st place – a V6 Charger with every stick-on piece of cheap fake chrome that JC Whitney sells, some AutoZone cheap LED light strips, some vinyl stripes, some stick-on woodgrain dash trim, and LED headlight ‘halos’. Engine- bone stock. Paint – bone stock. Driveline – bone stock. It looked really good but come on.

There was a time when if it came from JC Whitney or from “that aisle” at AutoZone we laughed at it.

We need to start having standards. I am all for letting everyone in on the hobby. I have been a vocal person on that. But we really need to start encouraging people to do stuff well. This becoming too much of a “here’s your trophy for participation”

moparkid25
    Participant
    jonmandude wrote:
    I am becoming increasingly irritated by this subject as of late.

Today at Mopars on the Mississippi I was in the “Modified LX” class. Correct class for me. I did not place. The cars that won…..
    3rd – a 2015 with lowering springs, rims and aftermarket brake rotors. Everything else is bone stock. Everything. Even the guy parking us asked “why is that car in this class?” And shook his head. But by the “3 mods” rule….
    2nd place – a filthy, and I mean probably never cleaned under the hood filthy, 2010 with cheap ABS rear window louvers and a shaker hood and hood pins. Nothing else. Driveline, bone stock. Paint, bone stock. Suspension, bone stock.
    1st place – a V6 Charger with every stick-on piece of cheap fake chrome that JC Whitney sells, some AutoZone cheap LED light strips, some vinyl stripes, some stick-on woodgrain dash trim, and LED headlight ‘halos’. Engine- bone stock. Paint – bone stock. Driveline – bone stock. It looked really good but come on.

There was a time when if it came from JC Whitney or from “that aisle” at AutoZone we laughed at it.

We need to start having standards. I am all for letting everyone in on the hobby. I have been a vocal person on that. But we really need to start encouraging people to do stuff well. This becoming too much of a “here’s your trophy for participation”

After our online conversation last night, I’ve been thinking this morning that the Hellcat’s should have their own class. Let the owners have to be judged on cleanliness (I.E. which dealership did the best new car prep). And speaking of judged… If this show was not participant judged, the awards outcome for your class would’ve been quite different. Participant judging is based on what the majority liked best. Or who had the most friends at the same show. Case in point – I voted for you, and you voted for me :) However, we both looked at each other’s classes and I knew that your car was truly modified as I’ve followed all of the progress you have made. In my case, I took a daily-driven vehicle and competed against urban hillbillies with their “show trucks,” and still got an award. Buddy system voting is comparable to Donald Trump proving he could buy favors when he stated at the debate that he donated to Hillary on the grounds she attend his wedding. And she did! It’s a one-for-one trade off, unless you don’t know anyone at the show.

In the case of this show, I still feel it should be a judged show. A lot of nice cars didn’t get the recognition they deserve.

jonmandude
    Participant

Thru all of this, I am starting to agree with the guys that don’t want new cars in shows. I starting to agree with the years restrictions.

The older cars in the modified class are judged for the quality of the WORK on the car and simple stick-on cosmetic changes are frowned upon…..as it should be. REAL EFFORT must be put in to win in a classic modified class.

And stock is just that stock. Concourse style, if it aint what it was born with, it aint stock.

The new cars don’t abide by those standards. Simple ebay stick-on stuff is reacted with “Oooo where did you get that? I want it” and real work is ignored. Stock is not followed either. The newer guys seem to pick any class they think they can win, then get their friends to vote on them so they do.

I think the word is integrity. There is no integrity in the hobby any more. Is a $4 trophy worth it all?

I know this comes across as me bitching because I didn’t win. But honestly, I don’t mind when a nice car wins. I don’t mind going home empty handed because I wasn’t best or another was as nice and it was just his day. But I hate the lack of integrity.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.