Welcome Forum Car Shows New & almost new cars

• Creator
    Topic
    mick289
    Participant

While I’m not trying to start an arguement about what is and what isn’t right, I’d like to ask why. Why do you feel the automotive public wants to see your “just rolled off the transporter” car? New cars are great. Wish I could buy all the pony cars, but I can’t. I just don’t understand why the new Mustangs, Challengers, Camaros, Chargers?, and a handful of others including a Fusion and a Taurus SHO?, I ran across at various shows this summer. Some of them at 4 or more shows.If I need to see one as it rolled off the assembly line I’d go to the dealer “for free” and look at it. I recently purchased a early 50’s F1 Ford that thru the winter and part of next summer I will spend time,time,and more time and as little money as I can on it just to get it to where I feel comfortable taking to some of the car shows around here for fun. I might get laughed at because it’s not showroom new or have some jealous GM fan spill some of Milwaukee’s swillwater that’s less filling on it, but I’ve done my “work” myself and you just don’t go to the dealer to look at a new one. It’s great all of you guys bring your new car to the car show, but I’ll walk by wondering why. I’m sorry but I had to ask.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

My take is that everything you listed is new age muscle and sometimes owners will mod them or will keep them stock. The key is, they are putting pride in their rides, and 90% of the car shows we attend are for the purpose of raising funds for a cause. If you have the space, why not let anyone and everyone come in and park that wants to pay the 10 bucks to get in?

So who cares if it is 1 day old or 100 years old if the main reason for the event is a fund raiser? Sure you may have a chance to walk away with a plastic 20 dollar trophy, and if the classes are set up correctly the guy with the 100 yr old car isn’t going to contend with the day 1 cars.

Car shows 40-50 years ago had new cars at them too, so I see no reason to limit the year range (as always, it is up the promoter and the size they area they have to park cars).

The folks that bring in their new cars all have the same passion for their cars and the hobby. So my vote is bring them all in, the more the merrier!

moparkid25
    Participant

If there is a class for new cars, let them compete.

My opinion is that whoever bought that new car worked for it, just like the guy who restored a classic. Being the guy who has been accused of being a daddys boy and having “everything given to me” can empathize with those who are shunned for having a late model vehicle at a show. In the end hard work paid for it, no matter the make and model. If allowing a late model vehicle in a show peaks the interest of the next generation, bring it on.

Xman
    Participant

Guess I’ll ad my two cents for whats it worth, two cents probably. I love seeing the new cars at show’s because I dislike going to dealerships and putting up with salesmen. The new cars have there place just like the old ones. As long as the car show promoter has a correct class for all cars. I have an old car because I liked attending national events that only allowed 1948 and older cars.

jonmandude
    Participant

Having one of the modern muscle cars that you may have seen this summer, let me chime in.

I have probably had just as many pictures taken of my car at shows as any classic.

My view is that this hobby should be open to everyone. Just because someone doesn’t share anothers’ tastes, or passions, does not make them any less of a car person. By not including any type of car, you are essentially saying “we don’t want you here” or “you are not good enough”. That is wrong. I have great pride in my car and have worked hard for it, much like you have yours. Do you think, back in 1970, people had a negative view of a COPO Camaro as you have towards a modern Camaro? I doubt it.

My next point is a simple one. Many of the classic cars that are allowed are simply purchased. Many of the cars showed are not built by the owners who show them, they are simply purchased. Should they be not allowed in also?

I do not understand this attitude that this hobby should be “only” for classics and not for all people. After all, this hobby is less about the cars, and more about the people who enjoy those cars.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I solved this problem years ago, I bought or built a car to fit in every catagory. I always examine the flyer of the show I wish to attend to see what cars they allow, I then pick the car I haven’t driven for awhile and take that.

Some shows are age specific, say like Symco, traditional hot rods only, so I built one last winter.

My thought on the whole deal is if the show allows it, bring it, new or old.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.