Welcome Forum The Drag Strip no glorious job

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Folks
    Hope you all had a nice holliday. Any way a friend of mine brought his bike over today to have a seat plate made. Now I do not get to see Elma all that often but when he dose come by it’s always interesting . I never made a seat plate before but my attempt would prove to be a site better than the custom bike shop came up with. Well lets take a look at his bike .
    Elmas-Bike-002.jpg
    He wants to have a rear seat for his wife that contours with the rear fender.
    Elmas-Bike-001.jpg
    That was air brushed for Elmer he has had his own Tung So Do school for 30 years .
    Elmas-Bike-022.jpg

In the last photo I’m making a template to copy the shape of the rear fender so I can duplicate it on the seat plate.

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Drogar-Angry(LBG).gif Ahrggg who put that submit button under my mouse BangHead.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Drogar-Angry(LBG).gif Ahrggg who put that submit button under my mouse BangHead.gif

All fixed Steve! thumbsup.gif

GTO Man

Great looking bike, I wonder how they do the figures on the tank?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hey Cool Thanks Garibaldi. Sorry ya had to pick up after me . must of been in a rush . icon_cheesygrin.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi GTO
    Tom a fellow in Bloomburg Pa. (right next door to our town) dose them with airbrush . Oh did I mention he’s pretty darn good to . thumbsup.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Wow, an amazing job with the airbrush! I’m always amazed at how detailed a job they can perform it is a true art! Not to mention the rest of the bike! :drool:

Anonymous
    Inactive

That airbrush work is truly amazing. I heard that the fabrication design and paintwork on the gas tank can make the overall look of a bike. Incorporation of personal style makes the bike all the more special.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Folks
    Here is how I went about it.
    seat-plate.jpg
    Above I beat the tar out of a piece of 14 gage steel , that’s a job in it’s self.
    tuck-shrinks.jpg
    Then I tuck shrunk the rear edge .
    Seat-patern-close.jpg
    Then I went to the planishing hammer to smooth it out a bit so it became a little more maluable and raise the center. note the extra amount of material I have left around the edges
    Needs-more-stretch.jpg
    The area in red still needs to be raised and the blue has been tuck shrunk.
    Theres-Ours.jpg
    now its ready for a trim and we will try it on for fit tomorrow . By the way that is there finished product they handed him for his custom bike.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Wow, very impressive!!! Looks like excellent craftsmanship!!! thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is some impressive quality and workmanship. thumbsup.gif

When you take time and treat the item like it is yours, it makes all the difference.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Folks
    Hey guys didnt want to bore you with the details but here is the out come on the fender plate.
    our-plate-2.jpg
    our-plate.jpg
    It may be tuff to see but this piece fits the fender on both compound curves. The nuts you see are for the attaching points so we tig tack them on. Photo below is there seat plate.
    there-seat-plate-2.jpg
    Now I started to think why in the photo above theres did not fit near as well may because they would have all trhe padding and leather to hide it .
    But Elmer ran our part down to there bike shop (to brag) and with in two hours we had a phone call and a visit that night by one of there guys .
    dont know were it will go but it felt good to get a response out of a local shop dealing high end bikes. w00t.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

So you use the nuts as attaching points and then remove them? Looks like a great bike!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I wonder if I lost this post or forgot to submit ? Anyway those stainless nuts I tacked on there are for suction cups that actualy hold the seat down on the fender. I figured I would put them on there myself so no one else would be welding on my panel and pull it out of shape with to much heat. It dose get covered with foam and leather so it all gets covered up nicely.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I wonder if I lost this post or forgot to submit ? Anyway those stainless nuts I tacked on there are for suction cups that actualy hold the seat down on the fender. I figured I would put them on there myself so no one else would be welding on my panel and pull it out of shape with to much heat. It dose get covered with foam and leather so it all gets covered up nicely.

I understand what you’re saying, you want to do it yourself to your own panel so no one else messes it up after all that work, I don’t blame you at all! :salut:

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.