Welcome Forum The Lounge Oldsmobile

• Creator
    Topic
    hpdog259962
    Participant

No, Olds was their longest made name, it was a weird idea to stop production.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

I was very surprised when I heard they were discontinuing Olds. They were a well made automobile with good designs, they had some of the best models of any of the divisions. I thought the Aurora was an excellent car. I think they regret it now. I bet they lost some sales to the foreign after they stopped it.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I was very surprised when I heard they were discontinuing Olds. They were a well made automobile with good designs, they had some of the best models of any of the divisions. I thought the Aurora was an excellent car. I think they regret it now. I bet they lost some sales to the foreign after they stopped it.

I agree, Oldsmobile made some excellent cars and had a great reputation. Unfortunately they decided to pull the plug, like GTO Man said I bet that they regret it now though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Crud, I voted no, but I should have voted yes.

Oldsmobiles were not selling well anymore, and GM is trimming their crop down to help with their current financial issues.

As with most GM lines, they are built on similar chassis, but different bodies and trim. So, an Alero was an overpriced Malibu “N” chassis, (so was the Cutlass for the US market, we didn’t have them here…) The Intrigue was an overpriced Impala “W” chassis, and the Aurora shared it’s chassis with the Buick Riviera “G” chassis.

We have seen no drop in sales or feel that the market has shifted to imports because of this, the market wasn’t interested in that class of vehicle anyways at the time.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:

Oldsmobiles were not selling well anymore, and GM is trimming their crop down to help with their current financial issues.

As with most GM lines, they are built on similar chassis, but different bodies and trim. So, an Alero was an overpriced Malibu “N” chassis, (so was the Cutlass for the US market, we didn’t have them here…) The Intrigue was an overpriced Impala “W” chassis, and the Aurora shared it’s chassis with the Buick Riviera “G” chassis.

We have seen no drop in sales or feel that the market has shifted to imports because of this, the market wasn’t interested in that class of vehicle anyways at the time.

That’s a good point. GM was hurting and they needed to let something go somewhere.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:

Thats the reason why I voted yes. I would vote the same way if it was asked about plymouth.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had heard about it (remember that I am far away)…
    … And this made me sad in a peculiar way : Oldsmobile is the very first car I drove in the US when I was a student there.
    Our neighbours had a Delta 88 Royale, red on its outside, white in the inside, they also had a 1960 T-Bird.
    But the Delta was a masterpiece to me, it was such a nice convertible for a young European to drive and as it hardly ever rains in New Mexico, sunglasses were on very often. sunny.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I had heard about it (remember that I am far away)…
    … And this made me sad in a peculiar way : Oldsmobile is the very first car I drove in the US when I was a student there.
    Our neighbours had a Delta 88 Royale, red on its outside, white in the inside, they also had a 1960 T-Bird.
    But the Delta was a masterpiece to me, it was such a nice convertible for a young European to drive and as it hardly ever rains in New Mexico, sunglasses were on very often. sunny.gif

That’s an interesting story. Obviously Oldsmobile has a special meaning for you. I agree that its too bad to see them go, if only there was another way.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I voted yes. It’s because like any retail establishment your better off creating new stores under a new name and closing down the old ones from time to time.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I see what you’re saying, but then it would also mean they loose all the reputation they have built with their preexisting name

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    I see what you’re saying, but then it would also mean they loose all the reputation they have built with their preexisting name

Actually, it’s reputation was part of the problem. Better to start a new (like Saturn).

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

Actually, it’s reputation was part of the problem. Better to start a new (like Saturn).

Well they could have brought it back with a strong new model, but they weren’t able to do that

hpdog259962
    Participant

it looks like Olds never gained back after the Govt. Issues in the 80’s.

It also looks like they all the cars are one GM idea, with little changes to make it the make of the car.

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.