Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Question for RivFan

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

When you assisted Ed Brown with the sale of his Buick Wildcat by listing the car on the internet, did you use carsoup.com or one of the other popular collector car sites? Did you post the listing on multiple sites or just use a main website such as carsoup or collectcartrader?

Marshall

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

Marshall,

Try listing on eBay. I know a lot of people don’t like eBay, but I’ve had great luck myself. eBay has changed there fee policies as of Sept. 2nd and actually have a really fair pricing schedule now.

eBay is worldwide advertising, and many, many people will shop there. It’s quite possible you will make a sale outside of eBay, but just to proctect yourself make sure you have a sentence stating that car is also for sale locally, and that you reserve the right to end the auction at any time.

thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the tip, and I may end up listing on ebay, but I just don’t look forward to dealing with the tire kicking, day dreaming, moron jerks who will bid and not pay. It may be necessary to list the car on ebay, but I want to start locally, and then ramp-up with craigslist and/or carsoup first.

jonmandude
    Participant

When I sold the Challenger, I went thru ebay with great results. I had a few tire kickers call. The way I dealt with them is by telling them I would not end the bidding on ebay early and suggested that if they want the car they should place their bid on ebay and wished them luck. When they asked to look at it I said again bid on ebay and if you win you can look at it every day in your garage. I found that you don’t have to deal with them. The beauty of ebay is that the tire kickers just want to talk you down because they all know that someone else will bid on ebay for more than they are willing to pay.

Place you car on ebay, start it at a decent starting bid of say $10K, that will keep the cheapos from bidding a dollar. Then have a reserve of what you will take no less than, that will ensure that you don’t sell for less than you are willing to accept. DO NOT put a “buy it now” price, a friend did that and ended up selling his ’75 Corvette in five minutes. While that sounds great, he could have gotten more if he let the bidding go. Put it in a 10 day time frame and let it go the whole 10 days. Tell people that you will not end the bidding early. By letting the bidding go you will get the maximum for the car. Don’t be disappointed when nothing happens until day 10, that is just how it works.

RivFan
    Participant

Marshall:

What I did for Ed was place some “for sale” posts on several Buick specific forums. I personally spend more time on those sites than I do here, because the members are all into the same type of car that I am. Do a google search for “ford mustang forums” and you will find many. You are probably already a member on one of these sites, but if you’re not just join. In fact, join several. It’s free, and you will be able to target a very specific market – guys (or gals) who love Mustangs! Definitely upload many pictures to your post, or include a link to an album of photos on one of the photo hosting sites. Better yet, take Amigo2k up on his offer to do a web page for you. Pictures is what will sell your car over the internet.

Next, put an ad on Craigslist that also includes photos. It’s another free way to market your car online. I wouldn’t bother with the Madison Craigslist, a better choice would be Chicago. Bigger market, and more hits on your ad. I posted Ed’s car on the Milwaukee Craigslist.

Lastly, I have to agree with moparkid25 and suggest eBay as probably the best option. It costs a little money, but you will get the most exposure for your car there. A run on eBay will really let you know if people are willing to pay $27k for a very nicely restored Mustang. Good luck!

Al

circletrack
    Participant

I would also suggest Ebay or Craigslist, it seems everyone now stops at those two sites before going anywhere else. The sites dedicated to the car are nice also, but they often don’t bring in the local “Joe or Jane” looking for a car like yours.

Most of all, be patient. Your car is beautiful, it should be an easy sell. Have you considered taking it to Beloit of Jefferson? I know we’ve sold quite a few cars there and it’s relatively cheap for the amount of people walking through!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am pre-registered for the Beloit Autorama show, but my plan there is to look for my next car in the car corral, not to sell this one.

Unfortunately, on the Jefferson weekend I will be leaving for business (continuing education) in Iowa and will be out of town. I guess if nothing happens over the fall or winter. I can take the car down to the Jefferson spring show in 2009.

RivFan – thanks for the great advice! I am a member of the Vintage Mustang Forum, VMF, and I am will be posting the car there. There is a special Chicago group of mustang enthusiasts on the VMF.

GTO Man

I would put it on as many sites as possible. Main thing is to get it to the people who have the most interest in what you are trying to sell. Unfortunately these days, no matter where you are trying to sell someting you have to be on top of the transaction.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.