Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Repairing Small Tear in Leather Seat?

• Creator
    Topic
    circletrack
    Participant

Any ideas on how to repair a small tear in leather? My new ride has a little tear and I’d like to fix it before it get any bigger? Never had leather before, so I’m clueless but loving it! wave.gif

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Moving To General
    /Moderator Garibaldi

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Any ideas on how to repair a small tear in leather? My new ride has a little tear and I’d like to fix it before it get any bigger? Never had leather before, so I’m clueless but loving it! wave.gif

I’ve had good luck with those small vulcanizing patches. You mix uo some colored vinyl repair liquid to the right color, smear it over the tear, filling it in good, and then use a textured paper over it, then use a soldering iron-type heater with a quarter-sized heating surface, and lay it on the paper. It solidifies the vinyl mix.

It isn’t perfect. A more durable way would be to sew it.

You might consider sewing it, then use the vinyl/heating thingy for the cosmetic hiding of the tear.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

I’ve had good luck with those small vulcanizing patches. You mix uo some colored vinyl repair liquid to the right color, smear it over the tear, filling it in good, and then use a textured paper over it, then use a soldering iron-type heater with a quarter-sized heating surface, and lay it on the paper. It solidifies the vinyl mix.

It isn’t perfect. A more durable way would be to sew it.

You might consider sewing it, then use the vinyl/heating thingy for the cosmetic hiding of the tear.

Cap makes a great point, sewing would the the best long term solution but it just depends on how good you are with a thread and needle! :doh: Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.