Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Servicing your car…

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi guys,

It will be time to service my car in about a month (gets done once a year), and I was thinking about it this morning. I always do it myself, but I can’t remember what all I needed. Maybe I will after coffee, but I’m going to make this post anyway just in case.

I’ll be changing:

– Oil
    – Oil filter
    – Air filter
    – Spark plugs

Is there anything else that needs doing?

Thanks!

Cobra

Viewing 13 replies - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    I have never checked the battery levels – I’ll see if I can work out how to do that now.

You can also see the oil cap on the left-hand side of the engine itself. The big, black box over on the right-hand side is the air filter – it’s massive.

The battery is probably maintenance-free and doesn’t need to have
    the level checked.

The air filter housing is standard size these days. Thirty years ago they
    were round and almost two feet in diameter!

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

What is everyone doing this spring to get your cars ready for the new season?

Amigo2k

Change the oil, bleed the brakes, change the fuel filter, grease all the zerks, top off the tranny oil, adjust the valves ….

take it to a shop and have them drop the engine to replace the engine compartment gasket (7 dollar gasket that is missing that helps to keep hot air out of the engine compartment).

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    7 dollar gasket that is missing

The parts are always cheap it seems, as for the labor…

GTO Man

What is the going labor rate for having your car worked on in your town? In Madison it is usually between 60 and 90 dollars an hour.

Amigo2k

I’m not sure. Typically I have taken to Piercy’s on Monroe street, but this time I’m going to a VW shop on Milwaukee St (a buddy of mine back in high school use to take his bug to them and its been 15 years, so I thought I would give them my business).

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I’m not sure. Typically I have taken to Piercy’s on Monroe street, but this time I’m going to a VW shop on Milwaukee St (a buddy of mine back in high school use to take his bug to them and its been 15 years, so I thought I would give them my business).

I always see a bug or two outside Percy’s when I drive by thumbsup.gif

What’s the name of the place in Milwaukee?

Amigo2k

I really don’t know. I remember the guys names that own the place (vern and Dave). Funny the things you remember after 15 years ….

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I really don’t know. I remember the guys names that own the place (vern and Dave). Funny the things you remember after 15 years ….

Yeah usually something a bit quirky like Vern & Dave would stick with you. Memory is an interesting thing

Amigo2k
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Looks like a nice place. Let us know how it goes with them!

Amigo2k
    Quote:

thumbsup.gif

Ok I’m ready to report on Courtesy Auto Service owned by Dave Zipperer, located at 3030 Milwaukee st. Madison, WI 53714! I dropped it off on 15May at noon. Dave scheduled me in on for the next day on the 16th. At 7:30PM on the 15th he called to let me know it was done!

The next day at about noon I picked it up, and he was happy to see me because he was sick of folks stopping in wanting to know if the car was for sale!

He was able to get the gasket in without dropping the engine so it was a pretty cheap fix!

I already told him I’m bringing it back to him next year after it comes out of storage to allow him to give it a once over for the summer.

icon_headbang.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Sounds like a great experience! Did you take it out for a test cruise afterwards?

Viewing 13 replies - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.