Welcome Forum The Drag Strip sheet metal 101

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Folks
    what is your biggest mystery when it comes to body sheet metal repair?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Folks
    Now I guess I should not limit it to just sheet metal . It could be how to address a repair weather it be rust a dent or even paint, or maybe a structual how to’s . or the many way to install a patch panel.

Anonymous
    Inactive

1. Work-hardening the metal.

As the metal is hammered it gets harder, sometimes to the point
    of being un-workable.

I’m not sure about the new metals that they’re building cars
    from today though.

2. Also, dents should be worked in the reverse of how they
    were put there in the first place.

If my English teacher was still alive she’d kill me
    for that last sentence!!! icon_sad.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    Hi Folks
    or the many way to install a patch panel.

My mistake was always trying to weld the ENTIRE patch panel.

Simple spot welds around the patch would have been plenty.

After all, cars are built at the factory using only spot welds!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Shadow ( by the way what is your real name )

Ok first lets address the term work harden. Lets say we are trying to create shape in a panel there are two way Stretch and or shrink. to do this we will first start by stretching . we start off with a flat sheet that is fairly malluable as we beet the stretch into it we cause the panel to get hard . the reason for that is look at the lumps as little structual zones that keep the panel rigid. if we take that same panel and planish it via english wheel , air powered planishing hammer, or simply a hammer and dolly . or most favorite by most a slapper . icon_biggrin.gif
    as you planish the panel (smooth out) it becomes again more plyable. So the term work harden can become confused with the thought that you are changing the chemial part of the steel wich would be the carbon. icon_biggrin.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Shadow
    Depending on your situation or the time and value you place on the repair will decide on how you may want to do your patch panel. Most shops are faced with the fact it needs this to pass a vissual inspection or just please the customer till the next availible no rust car comes up for sale. So there panel istallation ends up as a flange or lap repair . Again this is fine you can spot weld with short burst from your mig throw some fiber reinforce filler over it and down the pike she goes .
    Ok now a 69 Camaro pulls in the shop and is in need of a lower rear quarter repair panel. Ok this one has to last its an SS RS and its going to be picked over at the shows with his trunk lid open showing the cars potential to be an all sheet metal survivor. First we want to take some measurements or I personally like to build a simple panel jig . This will allow you to put the new panel back in the same location and curviture providing the old one was not badly damaged. Next cut the patch panel nice and straight and lay it on our damaged area and scribe a line . This will give you a close idea of what you need to remove . Cut just below the scribe line so you leave enough for a clean up and you dont end up short. when your done your new panel should line up perfectly with little to no gap at all . In some cases you may want to use but weld clamps if you have limited room for clamping. Now your ready to weld if you are going to mig or tig the panel (BE PATIENT). A litle at a time alternating areas keeping the heat down to a minimumn.
    I dont like to use air to cool or water it tends to draw the area and cause more warpage. But to each is own, timing between welds is important find some thing else to do so you dont sit and look at it you will want to keep welding and end up with more work in the end. Hope this helps icon_biggrin.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Steve,

Good lord!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

I think I’ll save your posts because they’re better
    than a text book!!!

I was only talking about doing the work as most guys do, in
    their garages. I wasn’t thinking about the English rollers and slappers!!! icon_biggrin.gif

It would be nice if I could get into the custom work but time is
    usually spent on other things (like posting in all of these forums!).

Thanks for the excellent replies!

Oh, to answer your question, no Shadow isn’t my real name.

My real name is Gertrude!!! And if you believe that I have
    a bridge for sale……..nevermind. icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif icon_sad.gif

By the way, there was a TV guy named Shadoe Stevens.
    That’s the correct spelling for his name!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well Shadow If your in the Pa area stop in and we will pound the daylights out of some steel . Shop always welcomes friends. thumbsup.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Steve is an amazing wealth of knowledge! jumpy.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Drogar-Oops(LBG).gif Drogar-Oops(LBG).gif icon_rolleyes.gif

“Ahh but let me give thanks to all who took the time to share there knowledge”

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Drogar-Oops(LBG).gif Drogar-Oops(LBG).gif icon_rolleyes.gif

“Ahh but let me give thanks to all who took the time to share there knowledge”

Its true, its like a giant cycle.

GTO Man

From what I have seen sheet metal work is like an art. It takes alot of talent. I am amazed at what can be done. A good paint job can’t cover up poor sheet metal work. Prostreet is one who really excells at his job. You can tell he enjoys it, and his work speaks for itself.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.