Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Spark plugs…

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Allright guys,

Next question – spark plugs. :D

Does anyone know if NGK spark plugs all have copper cores? How much difference does this make anyway?

Thanks yet again,

Cobra

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

From my experience the lifespan of a copper plug is less than that of a platinum or iridium based spark plug. With the latter you’re able to change plugs further down the line (around 25-30K miles).

I usually stay with copper plugs and make a habit of changing plugs every 10,000 miles.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I should be changing them every year, so about every 10,000 miles. Their lifespan isn’t really a concern as you say.

I’ll definitely be going with NGK plugs. Just wondering about their construction.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Yep here ya go. Here’s the business end of one:
    spnorm.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve alread visited NGK’s UK website. The closest I’ve come is this:

spark_plug.png

That made me think that they all probably do have copper cores, but I’ve been caught out before so I’m just poking about trying to find out if they all do, and what difference copper-core plugs make.

I’ve actually solved it now. I used the NGK code identifier here:

http://www.kaila.net/tl125/tl125ngkcode.html

…to find out that the spark plugs I need (BKR5E-11) have V-grooved electrodes. This site here:

http://www.corollaperformance.com/TechInfo/sparkplugs.html

…states that all NGK V-groove plugs have copper cores.

icon_biggrin.gif

Cobra

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Great!!! icon_cheesygrin.gif I’m happy you got the answer, its nice they have a good site like that so you could find what you need. :D thumbsup.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

It’s not a good site in my opinion – all flash and no real information on it. Just wishy-washy facts.

I bought the NGKs today, and they are copper-core and everything I expected. Got other stuff for the service too – Halfords air and oil filter (nothing expensive, no Champion equivelents for my car unfortunately), and a 4.5 litre bottle of Castrol GTX Magantec 15W40.

I’ve decided to leave my gearbox oil – see the other thread…

Cobra

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    It’s not a good site in my opinion – all flash and no real information on it. Just wishy-washy facts.

I bought the NGKs today, and they are copper-core and everything I expected. Got other stuff for the service too – Halfords air and oil filter (nothing expensive, no Champion equivelents for my car unfortunately), and a 4.5 litre bottle of Castrol GTX Magantec 15W40.

I’ve decided to leave my gearbox oil – see the other thread…

Cobra

Lemme retract my previous statement then, I hadn’t really looked at the site. IMO I don’t really care for all flash stuff, some is okay but it shouldn’t all be that.

Sounds like you’re all set, you’ll have to take some before and after pics! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif icon_cheesygrin.gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

At the risk of falling victim to sarcasm here (I’m a retard when it comes to getting a meaning from just text)… There won’t be much difference! My air filter is in a big, black box. My oil filter is a twat to get to – you have to crawl under the car and do your contortionist act to get your fingers to it… God help you if it’s stiff… The spark plugs are buried deep down in the engine – the ignition leads don’t connect directly to them but have to go through four inch plastic things designed to keep the cold and the crud out of them.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    At the risk of falling victim to sarcasm here (I’m a retard when it comes to getting a meaning from just text)… There won’t be much difference! My air filter is in a big, black box. My oil filter is a twat to get to – you have to crawl under the car and do your contortionist act to get your fingers to it… God help you if it’s stiff… The spark plugs are buried deep down in the engine – the ignition leads don’t connect directly to them but have to go through four inch plastic things designed to keep the cold and the crud out of them.

Personally I think the designers just do that to make it hard to fix… they probably have contests amongst themselves to see who can design the most inconvenient setup. :haha:

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had to jack my car up and, having no bricks, I had to wiggle underneath it on my back to read the oil filter markings. It takes a weird one… I was more than a little uncomfortable though – images of the jack slipping off and the oil sump crushing my skull were forming as I was trying to see the damn filter…

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I had to jack my car up and, having no bricks, I had to wiggle underneath it on my back to read the oil filter markings. It takes a weird one… I was more than a little uncomfortable though – images of the jack slipping off and the oil sump crushing my skull were forming as I was trying to see the damn filter…

Yeah you really need to wear like goggles or something because you have to get under the filter to see it.. and it just has potential to become a messy situation… :haha:

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.