Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions State Budget Crisis

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Doyle offered his solutions for the State Budget shortfall.

— Higher income tax bracket for families earning more than $300,000

— Raise cigarette tax 75 cents a pack

— Close 39 mobile DMV stations, close state trooper stations in Tomah and Spooner, close 25 DNR service centers

— No pay raises for State workers, would have to pay higher health premiums

— New tax on multi-state corporations and collecting taxes on internet downloads

All in all I think he came up with ways of dealing with a budget crisis in a fair way. Something that should probably be looked at is raising the tax on alcohol. With the alcohol consumption in this state they may be able to eliminate all other taxes including the state income tax.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    circletrack
    Participant

I think those are pretty fair requests. I can’t imagine people continue to smoke with the costs now, let alone 75 cents more. Unfortunately the people that really can’t afford it are the ones that smoke packs a day and their children go without essentials…

No offense to state workers, but it’s high time we hit them instead of everyone else. I have to pay for my health insurance, why shouldn’t they??

Amigo2k

I agree that an alcohol tax (say like 1% over the normal 5.5%) would help out.

I have already received an email from Chancellor Biddy Martin, that she is reviewing the solutions to see how it will effect UW Madison (raising tuition….)

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I watched his speech tonight and I agree, I think they really worked hard to cut anything that could be cut without compromising the things that are important (like healthcare). I also am glad they are able to do a job freeze instead of layoffs for the state. That says a lot especially with the news from California today… Another thing I really liked is how Gov. Doyle said this new budget anticipates the recession lasting for 4-5 years. That kind of forward thinking and planning should help us in the future (hopefully by coming out ahead with the recession ending sooner than that).

I also think an alcohol tax like Amigo2k suggests would help bring in some additional revenue without a loss like cutting jobs or vital programs.

moparkid25
    Participant

Tax the hell out of tobacco. Let smokers pay double the 5.5% state tax on that crap. I hate it, but if I have to put up with it they should have to pay for it.

1% more on booze is a start, but it wont make enough to really make a difference. I occasionally have a beer here and there :whistle: and don’t want to pay more for it. On the other hand, it may help the fight against drunk driving…but then you start to take away income from restaurants, bars, etc. that could lead to more job losses.

lordairgtar
    Participant

Well, some of those measures are at least better than the people in Kansas have gotten. They are not getting their tax refunds from the state. The state just decided to keep it.

hpdog259962
    Participant

lordairgtar wrote:

Quote:
    Well, some of those measures are at least better than the people in Kansas have gotten. They are not getting their tax refunds from the state. The state just decided to keep it.

That’ll happen to us soon, I bet.

lordairgtar
    Participant

It’s hard enough to get business to come here as it is and he wants to tax multi state corporations on top of the already high taxes they pay. I don’t see the gov and the rest of the pols taking pay cuts. License fees for certain businesses are going up and I am sure the UW system won’t be hurting too bad. I understand education is important and the quality of it must be maintained, but do we really need some of those smaller schools in the UW systems. Doyle to his credit has done well by UW. I’m not familiar with Chancellor Martin, is she a good Chancellor?

moparkid25
    Participant

I like the other day how Doyle says “there will not be any toll roads in WI under my administration.” but later in the day during another interview he stated that toll roads may be a possibility. Toll roads suck, yes IL has great roads, but paying anywhere from .08 to 1.80 a toll stop is ridiculous….but then again I use the iPass from work when I travel :whistle: I just don’t think it can help WI and it will put a damper on tourism in the state.

Amigo2k

Doyle proposes switch to 1 license plate

http://www.madison.com/tct/mad/latest/439934

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.