Welcome Forum Car Shows Stoughton Car Show….

• Creator
    Topic
    maddog
    Participant

While trolling on the internet at lunch time I found this; just passing it along to the gang here FWIW.

Saturday, May 19

2nd Syttende Mai Car Show

To benefit Stoughton Food Banks

9 am to 4 pm
    Stark Auto, 1429 Hwy 51, Stoughton, WI
    all vehicles, trophies, music, food and refreshments, door prizes

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

I predict there will be a ton of 1990 and newer cars there since automotion is on the same day (automotion only allows 1989 and older cars in).

Anonymous
    Inactive

There will also be a fair share of the old cars too. Dick and I, both, are gonna do the Stoughton show this year, and pass on Automotion, on Saturday. On Sunday, I am headed for the Chicago area.

circletrack
    Participant

Marshall, glad to hear you will be supporting them. Last year the day was incredibly cold and windy, not a good turnout at all and this year they are competing with Automotion. I hope it goes well!

moparkid25
    Participant
    circletrack wrote:
    Marshall, glad to hear you will be supporting them. Last year the day was incredibly cold and windy, not a good turnout at all and this year they are competing with Automotion. I hope it goes well!

You know, after 10 plus years of attending Automotion, I don’t have the excitement that I used to have. I don’t know if I’m burned out or what, but I’ve decided this is the last year for staying the weekend in the Dells, if not my last time attending Automotion.

circletrack
    Participant

Really? We can’t wait, always a great way to start the season!

moparkid25
    Participant

I think alot of it has to do with the man crackin’ down on all the fun. When I first started going, it was great. People cruising, lining the streets watching the cars go by, drinking until it was time to go to the show on Sunday morning. Now the police presence is overkill, and if you fart wrong a cop will be there to ticket you.

jonmandude
    Participant

Isn’t that pretty much what killed the World of Wheels show in Madison many years ago. I remember when the WoW show would come, we would all line East Washington Avenue and it was a great time. Then the government decided that we were all having too much fun and started ticketing everyone for anything. I once got a ticket for getting into a vehicle thru the window. The officer stated that I “rode a block out of the window”. We were at a stoplight and not moving. But I was 17 and I could not have done anything but accept it. Many of the tickets were BS. Now that show, and all of the revenue it brought the city are gone.

If the Dells continues to “crack down”, will Automotion slowly disappear too?

GTO Man

The information put out in the flyer on Automotion has more about the tickets Police may be handing out than the show itself.

Amigo2k

I wish there was a show like Automotion that mixed is a little bit of driving too.

Last weekend there was such an event in New Glarus where the closed down the roads to allow folks to drive their cars without the Police chasing after them:

The New Glarus Hillclimb 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgxGFiHhHQ8

moparkid25
    Participant
    GTO Man wrote:
    The information put out in the flyer on Automotion has more about the tickets Police may be handing out than the show itself.

This is how it starts. This will also be the demise.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    moparkid25 wrote:
    GTO Man wrote:

This is how it starts. This will also be the demise.

Well said, and very insightful.

circletrack
    Participant

Last year there were two officers from Spring Green by our hotel and we stopped to talk with them for a few minutes on Saturday night. According to them, every officer is required to work that weekend, and they do their best to keep everyone in line and safe. They enjoy seeing all the cars and the crowds that come to town that weekend, but stress that if things get out of hand, the City can shut that show down in a heartbeat and they don’t want that to happen. Years ago when all the trouble erupted, the Dells Area Cruisers were told the show was done, never to happen again. The club worked hard with the city and the police officers to get the show back on. As a promoter I can’t imagine working hard all year long to put on a show I love, only to have it jeopardized by some that (a) don’t attend the show and never will or (b) some kids that intentionally decide to do something they know is wrong and then blame everyone else around them for their mistakes.

I’m all for having fun and have always thought they should have a specific location for burnouts and such, but realize that’s not going to happen. They tried to have a burnout contest at the racetrack, but I don’t think many went out there.

The weekend is always a nice way for us to relax and enjoy the surroundings without having to worry about anything. The show also benefits quite a few charities in the area, it would be a shame for this to end, agreed?

moparkid25
    Participant
    circletrack wrote:
    Last year there were two officers from Spring Green by our hotel and we stopped to talk with them for a few minutes on Saturday night. According to them, every officer is required to work that weekend, and they do their best to keep everyone in line and safe. They enjoy seeing all the cars and the crowds that come to town that weekend, but stress that if things get out of hand, the City can shut that show down in a heartbeat and they don’t want that to happen. Years ago when all the trouble erupted, the Dells Area Cruisers were told the show was done, never to happen again. The club worked hard with the city and the police officers to get the show back on. As a promoter I can’t imagine working hard all year long to put on a show I love, only to have it jeopardized by some that (a) don’t attend the show and never will or (b) some kids that intentionally decide to do something they know is wrong and then blame everyone else around them for their mistakes.

I’m all for having fun and have always thought they should have a specific location for burnouts and such, but realize that’s not going to happen. They tried to have a burnout contest at the racetrack, but I don’t think many went out there.

The weekend is always a nice way for us to relax and enjoy the surroundings without having to worry about anything. The show also benefits quite a few charities in the area, it would be a shame for this to end, agreed?

Edge o’ the Dells has a huge burnout competition in there parking lot. I went out last year and did one smoke show, there were so many people there it was hard to find a place to park. I agree that the show shouldn’t be punished for other peoples actions, but the fuzz is too strict on that weekend.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.