Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Sunday, April 9th, Weather and Cruisin…..

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I took the fastback out for the first time this year, and what a joy and pleasure to be cruising again.

Saw a vintage GTO in primer and a yellow corvette on the road, but I was driving the Mustang like it had been stolen! Needless to say, it was a good afternoon on the road.

Anyone else get our their vintage iron and take to the road today?

Marshall

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

Got the GTO out today and went for a drive. Really felt good to be out on the road again. One thing that was disappointing though was I had battery trouble. A couple of years ago I bought an original looking battery for about $200, what a rip-off. Basically it is shot already. Next one I buy will be a new technology battery along with a fake cover to make it look old.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I was quite busy today, I’m counting down the days to Spring Jeff- I’m getting really excited to go

Anonymous
    Inactive

Nick,

That is exactly what I did last year. I bought the correct size battery in a generic version, but purchased the Autolite (fake) cover for it, and it seems to be holding up well.

I am kicking around the idea of buying one of those high performance Optima red top or yellow top batteries, along with a chrome or billet mounting cage/frame. I have seen these and they are a far cry from the OE look, but they are very common with street rods and restomods.

Marshall

Anonymous
    Inactive

Actually, Spring Jeff is only less than three weeks away icon_cheers.gif

I am praying for two solid days of nice weather this year for Spring Jeff. I would like to be able to actually search this year and take my time and not have to worry about rain, mud, or freezing temperatures.

Marshall

GTO Man
    Quote:
    Nick,

That is exactly what I did last year. I bought the correct size battery in a generic version, but purchased the Autolite (fake) cover for it, and it seems to be holding up well.

I am kicking around the idea of buying one of those high performance Optima red top or yellow top batteries, along with a chrome or billet mounting cage/frame. I have seen these and they are a far cry from the OE look, but they are very common with street rods and restomods.

Marshall

Marshall

Its ridiculous how long the original design batteries last. I have had issues with the one in the GTO from just about day one. Within the last two years I also purchased one for the Tbird. That one isn’t much better. I have heard good things about the Optima batteries also. I can get an original looking cover from Year One for $52. That seems quite pricey also.

Nick

Anonymous
    Inactive

Actually, that price is not too far out of line.
    For vintage Mustangs, the price varies from about $29 all the way up to about $44 for the Autolite covers.

Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

That’s not too bad

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.