Welcome Forum The Drag Strip To go or not

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

With the cost of gas rising and with everything else that has been going on I think car owners will be more selective in what shows they will attend.

Which show attributes will be the most important to you in determining what shows you attend?

– A show that is a short distance away.

– An established, well run show

– A show that is affiliated with another event such as a festival

– A show with great door prizes and trophies

– A show located in a cities downtown

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

Local shows are nice, but you often see many of the same people and cars. Not that thats a bad thing, but after while it gets boring.

Trophies are nice, but they’re not on my list of a reason for going to a show. The things I look for in a show is:

-Variety of possible cars that will be there
    -If its in a town or location I’ve never attended
    -An annual event that is always a great time (for me that’s Jesus Built my Hot Rod)

I also like to try and attend new shows that I’ve never been to. I’ve done one or two new ones a year for the last couple years, some I will return to and some I won’t.

My favorite shows to attend are:

-Automotion
    -RA show in Sun Prairie
    -O-town showdown
    -Blanchardville
    -Brodhead
    -Jesus Built my Hot Rod

Those are the ‘Must Attend’ shows each year :)

Xman
    Participant

Well with the price of gas still climbing and Walkers budget cuts. I really don’t think I will be attending many shows this year. I feel the local shows are going to be hurting do to the economy, That $10 you pay every Saturday to attend a show plus the cost of fuel to get there and home. Will be going into your daily drivers gas tank to get to work. If you have a job. Lets hope I’m wrong.. B)

lordairgtar
    Participant

I will be attending as many shows as I can. Maybe not going as far, but I will do at least two shows per weekend. Of course it should be said i am DJing some and drawing cars at others so gas will be paid for regardless.

circletrack
    Participant

I don’t go for the awards either, it’s more fun to be with family and friends. It’s a bonus to win an award and the feeling of accomplishment at the moment… after that they because dust collectors! ;)

As for the price of gas and going to shows ~ it’s normally once a week to a cruise night and once a week to a show in the area… I don’t see that breaking the bank. I very rarely go out for lunch during the week, it’s not hard to stick $10 in your back pocket for a show. :P

Local shows also need to be supported, I don’t go to shows more than 30-45 minutes away. The last thing we want is some of these shows to no longer exist because no one attends.

Anonymous
    Inactive

There is an article in the current “Rodder’s Journal” about a high school senior’s road trip (senior field trip with his family) from Ohio to visit the George and Sam Barris shop in California, and other hot rod shops, back in the late 50’s. The point made is that we don’t drive our cars or trucks near as much as we show them, and that we have got our priorities backwards. Car shows that are 1 or more hours away give us a chance to drive and enjoy our cars, and not just drive across town and show them. The message is that it’s the journey and travel to the show that is most important, not the destination or the show itself.

I admit that early on, it was important for me to win trophies, but not so much anymore. I have worked hard this fall and winter to donate (to charitable cause), many of the tropies that I have won over the past years. I understand now that the drive to the show is more important to me. I love getting together with a group of friends and driving to the show. Spending the day with old and new friends who love this old car hobby is just as important.

So, my plan for this next year is to attend shows that are farther away that I have not attended in the past. There are some great shows in Northern Illinois that I have passed up that I will check out this year. I am also looking forward to the bigger, regional events in Des Moines, Joliet, and St. Paul.

moparkid25
    Participant

I’m going to drive my car as much as I can. I’ve done a lot to it over the winter, and the reward will be to drive it :)

Plus it will probably be easier on gas than my truck anyhoo…. :whistle:

circletrack
    Participant

I agree with both of you…. local shows are a lot of fun, but traveling as a group with friends is a great time also.

I’m counting down the days until Automotion, there is nothing better than getting the cars out of storage and heading up the highway for a weekend away! :)

Amigo2k

I know there is a Madison convertible club that meets like once a month and heads out for a cruise which ends at a restaurant.

It would be nice if there was another group like this for all makes and models of cars that would meet for an early cruise and then head out for breakfast and then you just cruise on home. This way you get to cruise, check out cars, talk with some folks have a nice meal (instead of the stock brats and burgers) and cruise on home before noon …

This is one reason why I like things like cars and coffee, quick and easy and everyone enjoys the cars.

moparkid25
    Participant

Amigo2k wrote:

Quote:
    I know there is a Madison convertible club that meets like once a month and heads out for a cruise which ends at a restaurant.

It would be nice if there was another group like this for all makes and models of cars that would meet for an early cruise and then head out for breakfast and then you just cruise on home. This way you get to cruise, check out cars, talk with some folks have a nice meal (instead of the stock brats and burgers) and cruise on home before noon …

This is one reason why I like things like cars and coffee, quick and easy and everyone enjoys the cars.

That’s a good idea. My boss’ wife was asking me about another “Zac Cruise” this year… which may happen. But it will have to be a on a weekend, and a fun drive on some backroads ;)

GTO Man

If gas reaches $5 per gallon by Memorial Day, which is possible, it won’t be just car shows hurting for attendance. I like the idea of the cruises also, driving the cars is the reason to have them. I probably won’t change how many shows I attend, maybe try some different ones though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am certainly interested in anything/something different this year.

If someone/anyone (GTO Man, Amigo 2K, MoparKid, Circletrack, ????) were to put together a group of people and their cars for a weekend cruise or a weekday evening cruise such as the Fort, I’m up for it!

Wouldn’t it be awesome for a large group of cars from the Madison/Dane County area to cruise into Cindy Lou’s or the Fort Atkinson cruise night?

78cruisingwagon
    Participant

I have heard about a Madison convertible club that meets once a month, but haven found any info on it.Any one know? As far going to shows or cruis nights , I plan to go as may as I can despite the gas prices.Both my cars arent too bad on gas,my Pinto gets a little over 20 mpg, and Mustang convertible gets over 30.

moparkid25
    Participant

MMRJR wrote:

Quote:
    I am certainly interested in anything/something different this year.

If someone/anyone (GTO Man, Amigo 2K, MoparKid, Circletrack, ????) were to put together a group of people and their cars for a weekend cruise or a weekday evening cruise such as the Fort, I’m up for it!

Wouldn’t it be awesome for a large group of cars from the Madison/Dane County area to cruise into Cindy Lou’s or the Fort Atkinson cruise night?

I went to Waterloo with a few guys I know on another forum last summer. That was a real nice time, but it was quite the drive for me. It would be nice if there was something centrally located (in Verona for example) for us to attend Marshall. I like the RA nights, but I can’t get over there during the week anymore. And a few of you know how I feel about a certain Thursday evening event that takes place… My weekends are utilized for car activities nowadays.

Life was so much easier with no responsibilities.

Amigo2k

MMRJR wrote:

Quote:

Sounds like a super idea for a retired guy … ;)

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.