Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Truck Won’t Stay Running

• Creator
    Topic
    hpdog259962
    Participant

(Reproduced W/ permission from Slick 60’s)

Alright im havin problems with my 223 in my 64 F100… It all started about a month ago when i tried to start it one morning….Heres the long story:

It ran for about a minute then died… it would start up and run, then quickly run really rough then die..thought maybe it was the coil..replace it and no difference…..I had the carburetor rebuilt even though it was rebuilt 3 years ago…….put it back on.. no difference…The engine was rebuilt a year ago..the only other thing i could think of would be the distribuor….I did put new points in a week earlier….i replaced the distributor with a used one i had from my dads old 223…put the new points in it….fired right up and ran great…took it down the road and before i could get out of my subdivision she acted like she was running out of gas and died….let it sit for a few minutes..started up and took it home with a friend following me….it ran home but it just didnt seem right..almost as if it was missing on a cylinder…. had it idleing in my driveway and it would want to die if i didnt keep giving it gas…..

So i ordered a distributor from LMC truck for my 223 that they only list up to 63….typo i assumed…got it and it turned out the shaft was to small and it has clearences for hold down bolts…the local auto parts stores say that they list that same distributor up to 63 and nothing for 64…. So i took out my distribuor, cleaned it up sprayed pb blaster all over it cleaned it again..gave it a few drops of oil and installed Pertonix electronic kit… I installed it correctly per “cdherman” and the kits instructions… It fired right up and ran great drove it around and it ran better than it ever did…drove it wednesday, thursday, friday, saturday, and to a car show sunday…drove it up to the ATM at the bank on sunday night, and on my way home it died again.. I had to keep messing with the choke and the gas pedel to get it home…it wouldnt stay running under 12000 rpm…. I took apart the carburetor and gave it a good cleaning and have the same issues… replaced the vaccum adavance on the distributor and still no luck…

Does anybody have any idea whats wrong???

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Did he check the fuel pump? EGR valve? Bad EGR valve can cause a vehicle to run like crap and die like that… I’d assume that a 64 would have an EGR valve.. but I could be wrong. I don’t know older motors too well.

Viewing 1 replies (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.