Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Volt Sales Triple in 2013

• Creator
    Topic
    GTO Man

Even though the numbers are small compared to the mainstream models it is great to see.

CNN Money Story

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

Once the price drops to that of a Prius, I would think they could sell a lot of them.

The lease is the best way to go, with it being under 300 bucks (which I’m sure it is for only 10k worth of miles a year), and if it breaks they fix it.

As time and battery technology changes, this is probably the how most cars will be in 20 years … (a Camaro with 500HP but a button to go all electric for +100 miles).

Kind of surprising that only 14000 vettes sold in 2012 … I would like to see a graph of the vette’s sales history….

moparkid25
    Participant

I see the new kwik trip in Mt. Horeb has an electric car recharge station.

jonmandude
    Participant

So do you plug in and wait for 4 hours to “fill up”?

GTO Man

You plug-in overnight or when it is convenient. Once the electric charge is exhausted the gas motor recharges the batteries which powers the car. So you are never dead in the water as you might be with a Nissan Leaf. Recently I have been getting 40 miles on a charge. Then the gasoline motor kicks in which charges the batteries as you go.

jonmandude
    Participant
    GTO Man wrote:
    You plug-in overnight or when it is convenient. Once the electric charge is exhausted the gas motor recharges the batteries which powers the car. So you are never dead in the water as you might be with a Nissan Leaf. Recently I have been getting 40 miles on a charge. Then the gasoline motor kicks in which charges the batteries as you go.

Yeah, I get that for the home charging. I was just wondering, what would be the point of a charging station at a gas station. It isn’t like you stop and get charged within seconds

Amigo2k

most of the charging stations at Kwik Trip stores are just 120v … so if you plug in for an hour, you would get about 4 more miles down the road …. Kwik trip is switch over some of their charging stations to 220v …

jonmandude
    Participant

So then, you are stuck there for, at least, an hour? Just to go 4 miles?

GTO Man

You aren’t stuck, you can just plug in for whatever time you have. The plug-ins will get more and more common over time. So at some point people may be able to plug in at just about everyplace they go.

A workplace with plug-ins for employees would be a big plus. That would be a consideration in me taking a job.

moparkid25
    Participant
    GTO Man wrote:
    You aren’t stuck, you can just plug in for whatever time you have. The plug-ins will get more and more common over time. So at some point people may be able to plug in at just about everyplace they go.

A workplace with plug-ins for employees would be a big plus. That would be a consideration in me taking a job.

I would like to see the electric bill for a business with a charging station. Unless an energy credit is available, I couldnt see a business installing these for employee use.

Amigo2k

It costs 80 cents to charge a Volt with a drained battery. So if you had 4 charging stations you might be out 3-4 bucks a day …. I think I drink that much in free coffee, tea and hot coco at my office daily.

small perks help keep employees engaged …

jonmandude
    Participant

I guess my point is that it seems very inconvenient to go electric. You are limited on how far you can go, and then, if (big if) you have a charging station where you are going, you better not be in a hurry to get back.

Until that changes, I don’t see us being electric any time soon

GTO Man

The Volt has an unlimited range. If you run out of electric charge the gas motor charges the battery and you keep driving. The Nissan Leaf is a limited range car. Once you are out of charge you are dead in the water.

With my Volt I am using 1/4 of the gas I used to. Most people will never go to an electric car. They don’t like change.

GTO Man
    moparkid25 wrote:
    GTO Man wrote:

I would like to see the electric bill for a business with a charging station. Unless an energy credit is available, I couldnt see a business installing these for employee use.

Like Amigo2k it costs around 80 cents a day or so for a full charge. I would not expect my employer to pay for my electric usage for charging a vehicle. They could deduct the 10 or 20 dollars out of my paycheck. There are many charging stations set up across the country where you can re-charge. I think you would pay with some type of credit card.

moparkid25
    Participant

Wow, thats a lot less than i wouldve expected to operate a charging station per day. At that price, i can see a lot of charging stations popping up. Kohls over at West Towne also has charging stations for electric cars!

Amigo2k
    moparkid25 wrote:
    …. i can see a lot of charging stations popping up. Kohls over at West Towne also has charging stations for electric cars!

Great …. more places for the homeless to charge their iphones … ;)

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.