Welcome Forum The Drag Strip What do you do for winter storage of your collector cars?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous
    Inactive

So how do you protect your “collector” car??? Do you take it to a special garage? Do you just leave it in your own garage?

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

For our cars we first clean them from top to bottom and change oil. Big Block has a 2.5 car garage that he had built a couple of years ago at the back of his lot. We insulated the walls and put on drywall. Then blew insulation in the ceiling, I think about 12 inches. Then we hung a furnace from the ceiling. Try to keep the temp a minimum of 48 but that can vary of course. During the winter we try and start them about once every month or two. Last year kept two on dollies so they could be pushed to one side of the garage. This year since we don’t have any big projects planned will leave them off dollies so that they can be more easily started. I also keep a couple of cars in my garage which is part of the house. One of these days I would like to have a garage built on my lot also.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Its a good setup, it makes it easy to enjoy the cars in the winter (except for driving them :doh: ) and also keeps them warm and cozy Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

Anonymous
    Inactive

I am envious. I have a two car garage attached to the house, but my wife insists that she have half for her Toyota Camry, so that she can get in and out. Our garage is not heated, or insulated.

I top off the gas tank and treat the gas with Sta-Bil and I keep it covered, but not much else until spring. Then, it gets the royal treatment. Fluids, oil, lubrication, wipe down, etc.

Marshall

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Does your stang get the other stall? Insulating the garage isn’t too big of a project to do (depending on its condition), and it does help keep the heat in somewhat, even without a heater

circletrack
    Participant

We have an exposed basement with French Doors that lead outside… The Chevelle came inside a couple weeks back and will sit quietly waiting for spring… This way I can go visit in January and remember how HOT it was this summer! sunny.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Wow, nice setup!! The next step up is the goal of any car buff – bringing it into your living room! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

GTO Man

One other thing I did was to remove the batteries and put battery tenders on them. The reproduction batteries cost about $200 apiece so it is worth taking care of them.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

That’s a good idea, have you done it for all the batteries?

GTO Man

For 3 out of the 4 so far. The trickle chargers are about $30 apiece. Finally got around to putting stabil in the Tbird. Need to do the GTO next.

hpdog259962
    Participant

It’s My Daily Driver.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.