Welcome Forum The Drag Strip What type of light is best suited for displaying your car?

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I guess this falls under performance because when you show off your car its sort of like its performing. Its common knowledge that artificial light tends to be critical of cars, and tends to show alot of the imperfections in the paint. What light do you recommend showing your car in? Have you found a special light bulb that maybe makes showing it in artificial light better. Also is the angle important?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

From what I have experienced, outdoor light is most probably the best, unless you have access to a complete garage studio which allows to get rid off every single shadow possible if you’d like.
    As well as offer any kind of tone accentuation depending on what you look forward to as a render.

Early fall, middle spring seasons lights, are the best to my opinion, and it is much better to take pictures in the morning and in late afternoon.
    Morning light offers warm tones : as the sun goes up, the light tends to warm tones such as orange, then yellow, and white
    Evening (late afternoon) light offers colder colors, which tend to the blue spectrum (channel).

But all these are “personal” choices, depending on the effect you want, other choices may correspond better to what you’re looking for.

Regarding the angle, unless you want to shoot details, parts, I think the best angle possible is “3/4”, like a portrait.
    And never forget : you’ll have to kneel, or bend to be at the same height or at least close height as the vehicle is.
    Being at the same level as the subject is, gives the most objective image possible.
    It is a bit like a pool or snooker game table : the more you bend or lean, the better the ball trajectory will be. thumbsup.gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

I agree, natural light is the best. That makes sense about doing it in the morning or evening, because you won’t get direct rays coming straight down. Also its a nice effect (if you can find a place) to have the car infront of a sunrise or sunset. Why do you like early fall and middle spring? Also what is that “3/4” position? Just like you said, at the same level as the object?

I’m going to definitely use these tips at Jefferson on Saturday.

Also what locations do you like to shoot photos?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Winter season lights and summer season lights are usually very strong, with (too) much contrast, the difference between the shadows and the lights is way too big and usually causes over or under exposure, even with a digital camera which cannot cover all the exposure range.

Concerning the location, outside is preferable, especially grass, for some reason, if a car is in good condition or all “shiny”, this gives a kind of a very classy touch to the picture.
    Inside, with artifificial lights, the flash is often “mandatory” unless you have a tripod, and this kills perpectives and increases the contrasts between shadows and lights.
    Inside, it is much better to use a digital camera as it chooses the corresponding type of light automatically which cannot be done with a regular SLR with films unless you choose “artificial light dedicated films”.

The 3/4 position means that the picture is neither a full profile (left or right), nor a front picture, but an image in between.
    For example, your avatar picture is a 3/4 portrait picture.

The same level as the object means that for example, when you take a picture of a child, if you stand with all your height, you “squeeze” the perpective not being the same size as the child is.
    If you kneel, then you face your subject, being in an equal position which is way better to take good images. icon_wink.gif thumbsup.gif

GTO Man

From what I have seen naturallight is the best. One problem with florescent light is that imperfections are easier to see. Usually the owner is the biggest critic of their own car. They know all the little imperfections.

hpdog259962
    Participant

Natural all the way.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    From what I have seen naturallight is the best. One problem with florescent light is that imperfections are easier to see. Usually the owner is the biggest critic of their own car. They know all the little imperfections.

That’s true its hard to be an impartial judge since your eyes always go right to the bad spots.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.