Welcome Forum The Drag Strip When do you consider to be the best years of the muscle cars

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Between what years do you think muscle cars hit their peek? This is in terms of performance, styling, and sales. This is obviously somewhat based on your own opinion as well because everyone has their own taste on style.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Anonymous
    Inactive

1967-1969 I feel were the best years. You had some great cars making some excellent horsepower straight from the factory.

These years saw the birth of the Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird. The 1967-69 Fastback bodystyle of the Mustang was the most popular and to this day the most sought after design of the 1st generation Mustang era. Dodge had the Charger and Cuda roaming the streets in Hemi form. The Chevrolet Chevelle SS and Impala SS maintained their strong presence in the muscle car landscape.

We can’t forget the limited editions. There was “The Judge” and if you don’t know that then you need to brush up on your muscle car history. icon_cheesygrin.gif

COPO models from GM as well as Yenko models brought more muscle to the party. Boss Mustang 302’s and 429 Cobra Jets joined in on the fun along with a few offerings from an icon named Carroll Shelby with the Cobra and the Shelby Mustang.

I would have liked to experience that era.

hpdog259962
    Participant

1960-1972

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    1967-1969 I feel were the best years. You had some great cars making some excellent horsepower straight from the factory.

These years saw the birth of the Chevrolet Camaro and Pontiac Firebird. The 1967-69 Fastback bodystyle of the Mustang was the most popular and to this day the most sought after design of the 1st generation Mustang era. Dodge had the Charger and Cuda roaming the streets in Hemi form. The Chevrolet Chevelle SS and Impala SS maintained their strong presence in the muscle car landscape.

We can’t forget the limited editions. There was “The Judge” and if you don’t know that then you need to brush up on your muscle car history. icon_cheesygrin.gif

COPO models from GM as well as Yenko models brought more muscle to the party. Boss Mustang 302’s and 429 Cobra Jets joined in on the fun along with a few offerings from an icon named Carroll Shelby with the Cobra and the Shelby Mustang.

I would have liked to experience that era.

I completely agree, you bring up some great points. Not only what you said but you also had some of IMO the best years of the GTO, such as the 67 with the stacked headlights. And like you mentioned the extreme popularity of the fastback design.

Haha yes anyone who doesn’t know about The Judge needs to do some reading! Drogar-Laugh(LBG).gif

montefrazer
    Participant
    Quote:
    1960-1972

I’m with you, thumbsup.gif maybe even back into the late 50’s. 57 Chevy Power Pack 283 was a fast car for it’s day. Chrysler 300 letter cars were rich men’s hot cars. Ford and Studebaker had superchargers available on some models. There were hot cars from the factory in the early 60’s, too. They weren’t called muscle cars yet, but a 327 in a Vette, a 409 in a Chevy or a 421 in a Pontiac would run with or out run most of the later muscle cars. 72 was about the end of the era. You could still get big CI engines and stripes, but they were detuned for smog and insurance reasons and just looked like their recent high power versions. Then the gas “shortage” hit and no one wanted a high performance gas hog. Those were the days. Drogar-Love(LBG).gif I miss them. Drogar-Cry(LBG).gif

GTO Man

I would have to say 1963 thru 1971. Companies were trying to out-do each other on the race track so that translated into funner cars to drive on the street. There were plenty of fast cars before that but it hit its peak during those years. The actual peak years were probably ’68 thu ’70, ’71 was still good but come of the cars were a little wimped out.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    I would have to say 1963 thru 1971. Companies were trying to out-do each other on the race track so that translated into funner cars to drive on the street. There were plenty of fast cars before that but it hit its peak during those years. The actual peak years were probably ’68 thu ’70, ’71 was still good but come of the cars were a little wimped out.

Yeah after that the gas prices and insurance killed the muscle cars crybaby2.gif

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.