Welcome Forum The Drag Strip when do you put your collector away?

• Creator
    Topic
    moparkid25
    Participant

Today was the day for me. Its a session of a complete garage cleaning, organizing my tool box, and putting the car in its winter hibernating spot here at home. I like to do it before it gets cold enough to snow, and due to the fact the engine has a 160 degree theromstat its not really comfy to ride in after dark this time of year.

Im curious to know when others put there cars in storage, and how you store it. What do you use for rodent repellent? Do you use a battery tender or take the battery out? Do you store it at your residence, or is it stored elsewhere?

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Amigo2k

Mine went into storage yesterday …. I pump the tires up to 40lbs, disconnect the battery (typically a week before I’ll plug the battery tender in). Put Stabil in the gas (prior to the last drive), and also fog the engine via the carb with Stabil fogging spray, till the engine chokes and dies. Put a cover on it and come back 6 months later, open up the garage and then fire it up and enjoy again …

jonmandude
    Participant

I try to hold off as long as I can. Usually that is the first couple of weeks of November. The car has seat heaters and heated mirrors. It seems a waste not to use them for a little bit

78cruisingwagon
    Participant

I put my Mustang convertible away on the way to the car show in Elkhorn on Saturday. Its a storage place south of Madison.I take the battery out and use dryer sheets to repell the rodents. The Pinto stays at the home garage. I usually have some work to do to it .That way I can work on it during the winter and not miss any summer driving .I will drive it up till the point the salt goes on the roads. The heater is Really good!

thekcarguy
    Participant

Its usually the first snow for me..however I knew it was going to get cold and rainy, so friday I took advantage of the nice day and washed my K-cars. 88 had a dead battery, jumped it and filled it up with gas…another week or so the car covers will go on and batteries disconnected…

GTO Man

This year it will probably be a little earlier than normal because of the wonderful weather we have been having. Will get the oil changed in each of the cars fill the tank and put Stabil in. Wish we had heated storage for each of the cars. It seemed like a short season this year. Does anyone use one of those bubbles? Wondering how well they work

jonmandude
    Participant

WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED???!! I went down to Atlanta for 10 days and I come back to this weather? This is not acceptable

Luxuryliners
    Participant

put the caddy away yesterday, disconnected the battery and stuck some wood blocks under the rear of the car to keep the back end from sagging too far without the air ride compressor running, added stabil to the fuel, car sits in the “garage in a box” next to the main garage. I run the Buick on occassion through the winter when the weather is ok or when my daily driver Town Cars rear wheel drive proves to be too much of a liability. Seems like the season went fast this year, missed out on the delafield show due to a kidney stone and ER run, was suppossed to be my last long trek in the Caddy…maybe next year.

intmdatr3
    Participant

I will put mine away this weekend. Got one last ride on last Sunday was nice and sunny but cool. I go through my routine of Stabil in with the fuel then some mystery oil in the crank case. Next pull the fuse for the amp and hook up the battery tender then put my dryer sheets under the hood in the trunk as well as inside the car. Then I put a box of baking soda in the trunk and in the car to absorb any moisture and stop corrosion on the wires. I then next crack the windows a little pump up the tires and put on the car cover that covers the car as well as the exhaust pipes. I do leave the battery hooked up as she seems to run a lot smoother when she fires up in the spring. Then when spring comes it is like Christmas I get to unwrap another present……. 😆

Also here is the last pic of her this year with her new hood. Really like her look with the cowl hood……….

Attachments:
    GTO Man
    intmdatr3 wrote:
    I will put mine away this weekend. Got one last ride on last Sunday was nice and sunny but cool. I go through my routine of Stabil in with the fuel then some mystery oil in the crank case. Next pull the fuse for the amp and hook up the battery tender then put my dryer sheets under the hood in the trunk as well as inside the car. Then I put a box of baking soda in the trunk and in the car to absorb any moisture and stop corrosion on the wires. I then next crack the windows a little pump up the tires and put on the car cover that covers the car as well as the exhaust pipes. I do leave the battery hooked up as she seems to run a lot smoother when she fires up in the spring. Then when spring comes it is like Christmas I get to unwrap another present……. 😆

Also here is the last pic of her this year with her new hood. Really like her look with the cowl hood……….

Car looks great. Yesterday would of been a nice day for an end of season drive.

78cruisingwagon
    Participant

I took a nice drive on Tuesday. Salt on the roads this morning.Pinto is the garage till Spring.

jonmandude
    Participant

I was hoping to put her away Thanksgiving weekend, but today woke up to white stuff…..she is not coming out of the garage until spring.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.