Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Your Take On Replicas?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Anonymous 14 years, 8 months ago.

  • Creator
    Topic
  • #300
    Avatar
    Anonymous

    I guess this will be a debate that will forever go round and round in the car community. Do you see replicas as acceptable or territory that should not be touched?

    Personally I do not mind a replica so long as everything matches the original inside and out. Body, motor, the works and the owner or seller states that the vehicle is a replica. I do have a problem with those that may make a replica and pass it off as the real thing or have the look of the original on the outside but doesn’t have the engine and suspension that matches the original.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Replies
  • #7760
    Avatar
    Anonymous

    Hi Mike
    Your right it is a touchy subject to tread . My self I dont mind them eather.
    In my thoughts when one builds a replica I always think of a fiberglass bodied car . One that is most impossible to pass off as an original only becoause most were steel or aluminum. Now clones are another story ,
    it’s one thing to build a clone to suite your self and make it pleasing to what you would like to see . But to pass it off and try to sell it as an original you might as walk in and steal some ones bank book. With any of them they are a work of art and loads of knuckle busting hours and I can appretiate them just for that alone. Great post Mike Im sure it will raise alot of oppinions.

    #7761
    GTO Man
    GTO Man
    Moderator

    I agree with both of you, I like them as long as that is what they are portrayed to be. I know years ago they came out with a Shay replica of the Model A. I have seen a couple over the years but not many. Would you say the most popular is of the Cobra?

    #7762
    Avatar
    Anonymous

    Hi GTO
    I would have to say the Cobra is with in the top five in sales.
    32 Roadster , 32 3window cpe , 34 3 window cpe and the 41 Willys.
    These facts are not in stone but I bet there real close . It actualy flops from year to year, but generally this is how I reseive it in my shop.

    #7763
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Hi Mike
    Your right it is a touchy subject to tread . My self I dont mind them eather.
    In my thoughts when one builds a replica I always think of a fiberglass bodied car . One that is most impossible to pass off as an original only becoause most were steel or aluminum. Now clones are another story ,
    it’s one thing to build a clone to suite your self and make it pleasing to what you would like to see . But to pass it off and try to sell it as an original you might as walk in and steal some ones bank book. With any of them they are a work of art and loads of knuckle busting hours and I can appretiate them just for that alone. Great post Mike Im sure it will raise alot of oppinions.

    Yep I agree. I don’t have a problem with them if they are clearly displayed as what they are, a replica. Its also neat to see how close someone can come to recreating it. But they overstep the line when they try to pass it off as an original, there is a difference and it must be displayed.

    #7764
    Avatar
    Anonymous

    It looks like we are all on the same page. I can truely appreicate the time, money and effort that is required to make a replica look as authentic as possible and if the builder or owner admits that it is a replica we admire that craftsmanship required to make it happen.

    To pass off a replica as the original and advertise it as such is really a disservice to the car community and takes away from the admirable hard work and dedication of the builder.

    #7765
    Garibaldi
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    It looks like we are all on the same page. I can truely appreicate the time, money and effort that is required to make a replica look as authentic as possible and if the builder or owner admits that it is a replica we admire that craftsmanship required to make it happen.

    To pass off a replica as the original and advertise it as such is really a disservice to the car community and takes away from the admirable hard work and dedication of the builder.

    Yep, besides the dishonesty of passing it off as original, like you said the guy who created the replica isn’t getting any credit for all his hard work. Its really in his benefit to say that its a replica so he can get that appreciation and exposure.

    #7766
    Avatar
    Anonymous

    Hi Guys
    You know we all would like to think that all of us ” the automotive community” are honest and can be trusted to there word . I would have to wonder were the enjoyment of passing something off that of which it’s not . Of coures there is the almighty dollar and can sometimes darken some ones idea of fun.

    Drogar-Angry(LBG).gif

    #7767
    GTO Man
    GTO Man
    Moderator
    Quote:
    Hi GTO
    I would have to say the Cobra is with in the top five in sales.
    32 Roadster , 32 3window cpe , 34 3 window cpe and the 41 Willys.
    These facts are not in stone but I bet there real close . It actualy flops from year to year, but generally this is how I reseive it in my shop.

    Those are are all cool cars, they had such a great design. One of the other replicas was an Excaliber. I believe they also make a Dusenberg II.

    #7768
    Avatar
    Anonymous

    Hi GTO
    Not to leave them out of the list my experience is mostly in the hot rods.
    I guess I sepperate them as replicars , and kit cars, but they all are pretty much a fiberglass reproduction body . Well maybe not all of them some are a disign of there own . I mostly enjoy the sheet metal bodies any more . It semms to be more of a challenge.
    normal_DSCF0009.jpg

    #7769
    GTO Man
    GTO Man
    Moderator

    I know when I am watching shows they really think much more of the steel bodies. And that makes sense, they are closer to the original. So would you say the steel bodies are better to work on than than the others? I would imagine they might be more difficult to wrk on. You know that is one of the things that makes this interesting is that there are differing views.

    #7770
    Avatar
    montefrazer
    Participant

    Might just be me and my experiences, but I don’t like clones, replicas, or any other type of copy. I can admire the guy who takes a Chevelle or Lemans and adds buckets, bigger engine, etc, and doesn’t put SS or GTO on it much more than the guy that has to put on fake SS or GTO badges. Some where down the line, it is going to be called an original and sold for the price of a real SS or GTO to some poor sucker. I am a big first generation Monte Carlo fan. In 70 and 71 an SS Monte was made. Less than 4,000 in 70 and less than 2,000 in 71. I have seen many SS Montes over the years. Most were fakes but were displayed or advertised as real. On a Monte web site I post on, the ebay SS Montes are discussed and disected. Very few of these ebay cars are real SS Montes. Fiberglass and reproduction steel hot rod bodies and kit cars are different. These aren’t passed off as original cars. Call me what you like, but I say leave the fake emblems and stripes off.

    #7771
    Avatar
    montefrazer
    Participant

    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6171&item=4540818878&rd=1

    Here’s an SS Monte that was never made. No factory SS Montes made in 72, but people are bidding on this one. w00t.gif Make it a faster and nicer, but don’t make it something it’s not.

    #7772
    Avatar
    Anonymous

    Hi Steve
    Good strong post thumbsup.gif Some of which I dont ever realy think of ,well mostly because I was not paying attention to badges and stripes.
    Now let me owne an original and pay the big bucks for the parts and long hours in the shop and I could see were it would turn my gut to have one sit beside me at a show as a clone and have folks walk by and comment on “hey look another Yenko” . Steve ya struck a note when you said GTO badge Ive owned my share of GOATS in the mid 70’s when they were affordable for a working teenager. I had every thing from 64 to 70 and and all were the real macoy. Ive had a half a dozen SS’s and I’m 94.5% sure they were also original . Not to many clones back then there were plenty originals at the local car lots. I guess we should give thought to the folks whom would give there eye tooth for an original but can only afford a neat set of SS badges and stripes knowing thats as close as they will ever get to the true product . Drogar-Dum(LBG).gif

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.