Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Zymol Carbon Wax and HD (Pre-Wax) Cleanser

• Creator
    Topic
    D.Dawg
    Participant

Looking for anyone who has experience with or who has used these products in the past.

The wax retails for about $49, and the pre-wax HD cleanser sells for about $26. Are these products that much better than Mothers or Meguiars? They certainly are pricey.

Are these products available in any retail stores in the Madison area??

Your comments would be appreciated.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    moparkid25
    Participant

I’ve never used any of these products, but I did go to there website and search for dealers in the Madison area. Target, Walmart, auto zone are all listed as selling dealers. Collectors choice up in Dane is also listed as a dealer, maybe call up there and ask Corey his thoughts on their products. He can probably give you the best review.

Blown69RS
    Participant

I used the Zymol Carbon wax for a couple of years on my ’69. (Dark Blue with pearl additive)

I thought it definitely brought out a little more depth on my Dark Blue color, as compared to Mother’s California Gold carnuba paste. But, that was all just subjective opinion… someone else may have looked at it and saw zero difference. The ability to deepen the gloss on “Dark Colors” is one of the selling points of the Carbon wax. I did not use any of the pre-cleaner that you mentioned.

Over those 2 years, I was on a hand-wash kick with the car, so it was hand-washed with soapy water and sponge on a weekly basis. With that type of routine, it’s hard telling exactly how long the Zymol lasted for protection. I’m sure the constant washing had some effect on it’s longevity. I’d estimate I re-waxed at least once a month, though it was mainly for show appearances, and quite possibly not needed. I can’t see much difference as far as length of protection with the Zymol compared to other decent paste waxes.

From my usage, I did have a couple of issues with the wax that I did not like. The main one, was the temperature sensitivity of the wax itself. And, I mean the container of the wax, and not the applied wax on the car. Once the wax has been opened, it is necessary to store it in a refrigerated area. (that is boldly stated on the jar itself…. looking at it now) When that became an issue was sometimes when I decided to wax on a hot/humid day (either outside or in the garage). After 15-30 minutes, the container of unused wax would start to become “slushy” or “melty” for lack of a better description. And with that in mind, there was no such thing as taking this wax with you to ANY EVENT unless you also had a portable refrigerator… LOL. The other issue that I had from time to time was: the excess wax on my applicator pad would become flakey after some use, and would drop large flakes onto the car. Many of times I would basically shake the applicator pad, or beat it against my knee, to get some of the excess flakes off of the application area. I know other waxes can do this also, but I thought the Zymol did it excessively.

I have since returned to the Mothers California Gold carnuba paste (without pre-cleaner in the wax). I’m by no means saying that Mothers is the best product either… most everyone has their own opinion.

Overall, I’d use Zymol again for the car’s appearance. But, I don’t think it was worth the extra money that it cost,, and with the inability to ever have it travel with me in the detailing bag, I just can’t see going back to it.

so…. there’s my 2 cents. take it for what it’s worth… nothing but an opinion.
    Russ

D.Dawg
    Participant

Russ – thanks for the info, especially knowing that you have used this Zymol Carbon Wax. I think I knew at one time, but had forgotten, that the opened container had to be refrigerated between uses. The best price I have found on this Zymol Carbon Wax is $61.00. Also, Zymol strongly advises that you must use their Zymol HD Cleanser (polisher) prior to using any Zymol Wax product. The HD Cleanser sells for an additional $26.00. It is impossible to justify spending $87.00 for a shine that is not much better or about the same as Simoniz Ice or Mothers California Gold or one of the Meguiars products.

Thanks again and Happy Motoring……

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.