Welcome Forum Madison Area Discussions Barrett Jackson’s 2008 list of cars:

Viewing 13 replies - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Tonight’s the big night! thumbsup.gif

GTO Man

At least on Saturday the auction seems to becoming more entertainment rather than a car auction. The other days are much more realistic. I don’t like it when the auctioneer tries to tell the bidders how much they need to bid. And I don’t care for when the auctioneers try to be funny. They are there to take the bids, not be comedians.

Initially I thought that prices were down across the board. I think they are down somewhat, but a quality original or restoration can still bring huge money. Mustangs seemed to be especially strong this year, Camaro’s were bringing some big money, and some big 50’s cars.

Amigo2k

I too didn’t care for the, “we are not taking half bids” bit.

Isn’t that part of the process to try to out psych the other bidder by allowing some odd bids?

And I agree that over all the prices seemed lower this year then last year. Once thing I notice is they are not com pairing this years numbers to last years numbers….

jonmandude
    Participant

I don’t understand the “no half bids” thing either. To me it shouldn’t matter if it is $100 more. I saw one last night where a bidder was not allowed to make a half bid ($2500) and no one else bid a full bid. He would have won. I guess when you are making millions each year you don’t care about the “small” amounts.

Also $400,000 for the Challenger?

GTO Man

That Challenger was great looking but worth nowhere near where it went for. Someone wants to be able to say he owns it. I am surprised that Jay Leno had not been there before. I think he believes the prices are inflated, which many are.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It would appear to me that, overall, prices were down this year, generally speaking, with some exceptions.

In the Mustang world, though, there is a segment of cars that have continued to bring big money. Specifically, I am referring to Boss 302 cars, Boss 429 cars, 69 and 70 Mach 1s, any Shelby fastback, and K code convertibles and fastbacks. These cars will only continue to appreciate in the coming years.

It would appear to me that tribute cars, re-creations, and clones slipped in value this year.

jonmandude
    Participant

The clones started to slip during this past summer. I noticed that Yenko Camaro clones dropped from around $60K at last years’ Barrett to $30K by mid year.

Craig Jackson purchased the Challenger himself. I think part of the price was because it was all for charity, which means much of it is tax deductable.

GTO Man

Yes I think anything over the normal purchase price was fully deductible. Those specific Mustangs were very strong and will continue to rise. I thought some of the MOPAR’s were a little soft, a 440 6 pack Challenger or Cuda went for around 70k I believe.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I missed the Challenger/Challengers come across the block. Was this car/these cars the low serial number 2008 production vehicle(s)? What did they bring? I am still wrestling with my decision as to whether I will put down a deposit on a 2009 model or not.

Amigo2k

Marshall, it went for 400k.

Amigo2k

Carroll Shelby’s Shelby went for 675k. I scrolled through the Saturday results and I only saw 2, million dollar buys (both at 1 million even). One was a Dusenburg, and the other was a 2009 Vette.

Robosaursas went for 575k.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Carroll Shelby’s Shelby went for 675k. I scrolled through the Saturday results and I only saw 2, million dollar buys (both at 1 million even). One was a Dusenburg, and the other was a 2009 Vette.

Robosaursas went for 575k.

I was pretty interested in that 2009 Vette, Jay Leno gave a nice overview of it before and it looked like a very nice car with the cool transparent piece on the hood! thumbsup.gif

I also especially enjoyed the thunderbird “italien” and corvette concept cars. They were both interesting takes on those classic vehicles and it was pretty shocking to see how different they looked from the actual production models of those years!

jonmandude
    Participant

The biggest seller was the 1963, Pinanfarina bodied, Corvette titled Rondine, which was at $1,600,000. The Duesenburg and the ’09 Corvette were both $1million even cars. I think there was one just above $1M.

That Italien T-bird concept was very interesting.

The Challenger we are talking about was serial number 0001.

After watching this auction I have decided that I really need a 32 or 34 Ford street rod.

Viewing 13 replies - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.