We have an updated Privacy Policy as well as Terms & Conditions and other policies on the site. Please review all of them using the links in the footer.

Welcome Forum The Drag Strip Clones or Originals?

• Creator
    Topic
    Garibaldi
    Keymaster

What a worthy topic as Barrett-Jackson continues into the weekend. We have been seeing many clone cars auctioned, and some are going for more than originals!!! A good example of this was a 67 Belvedere GTX originally a 440 but this had a 426 Hemi in it. It went for $110,000. Later there was a 68 GTX stock Hemi and it went for around $62,000. I’m a bit suprised about this, what would you prefer and why?

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Replies
    GTO Man

I like the originals but I see nothing wrong with clones. If I were going to put alot of miles on an original car I would probably upgrade with newer safety features to make it more drivable. Probably the most important would be the brakes. Many originals had very poor braking systems.

Owners interested in going to shows of course leave them as close to original as possible. Of course many shows these days have categories for just about any type of car.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

One situation in which a clone would be nice too is where there is a very desireable car that you would like to have (just for the experience of owning one) but can’t afford the big bucks to get a stock original of this fairly rare vehicle – such as a cobra clone

Anonymous
    Inactive

I would consider and original with upgraded brakes to be worth more then an original. If that makes it a clone, then so be it.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

The upgraded brakes are definitely a plus, it won’t really matter if you owned an original or clone if you are killed because of bad breaks

Anonymous
    Inactive

Either a clone or a factory one is fine by me.

As long as the clone was as near 100% correct, and the price reflected the fact that it is a clone, not an original.

Painting a Chevelle red with black stripes, and bolting SS badges on the grille and deck lid does not make it a 6 figure clone either…LOL

Garibaldi
    Keymaster

Good to see you on Don! :D

Do you think there should be a rough ratio for the value of clones in proportion to their stock counterparts (such as 3/4 price or such)?

Anonymous
    Inactive

It surely depends on the quality and on how thorough the conversion was done.

80% of the value would be a good representation of what clones typically go for if they have been done right.

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    It surely depends on the quality and on how thorough the conversion was done.

80% of the value would be a good representation of what clones typically go for if they have been done right.

That sounds like a good figure. I suppose that would be inflated with high demand cars or such a limited number like the Tucker

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry Andrew, but it might be a little difficult to clone a Tucker… ;)

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:

Its interesting how some car companies have ripped off many of the innovations of the Tucker. Take a look at the Lexus with turning headlights. Although the Tucker is no longer in production (or being produced) its legacy of innovation lives on through its inspiration to others

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:

Difficult but not impossible Drogar-BigGrin(LBG).gif

Garibaldi
    Keymaster
    Quote:
    Quote:

Difficult but not impossible Drogar-BigGrin(LBG).gif

Oh yes, it could be done…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think that originals are more fun to have because its a representation of the past era

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Quote:
    One situation in which a clone would be nice too is where there is a very desireable car that you would like to have (just for the experience of owning one) but can’t afford the big bucks to get a stock original of this fairly rare vehicle – such as a cobra clone

Which is why I took the route that I traveled in building my clone. I cannot justify paying anywhere from $45,000-$60,000 on a N/A Saleen Mustang that is getting only 20 more horsepower than a stock Mustang GT at the time

GTO Man

From this years auctions so far clones are really pulling their weight as far a prices go. In some cases a good recreation brings more than an original. It may be because you can drive it without much worry.

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.